Is this a bedbug? [a: yes]

(6 posts)
  1. Badluckforsure

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 13:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

After a recent house fire, my family was forced to move into an apartment. Our insurance company has provided us with rented furniture. Our clothes have all gone to a fire restoration cleaner and have slowly been delivered back to us. The first day after we moved in, my 12 year old complained about a nasty red bug he found in his room. I never saw it. The next day, I found one on the wall in his room, and without giving it much thought, squished it in a tissue. Today my son found another bug, this time crawling on his mattress. It has suddenly occurred to me that this may be a bed bug. We have been through so much in the past few weeks, and if this is indeed a bed bug, we just don't know how much more we can take. Is this a bed bug?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 13:30:08
    #

Login to Send PM

A recently fed bedbug.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 14:11:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry about your situation. If you didn't have bed bugs before the fire, given the timing, etc., a good possibility exists that the bed bugs were introduced into your home with the rental furniture. Hopefully, if you explain this to the insurance company they will reimburse you for any treatment costs.

If you still have the bed bug, keep it for evidence both for the insurance company and for any PCO who might get involved.

Richard

4. Badluckforsure

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 14:48:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your help. We've contacted the temporary housing company and our rental company. What a disaster. We definitely didn't have them before and everything we brought here was brand new or professionally cleaned before it was brought in. I'm just sick to my stomach now.

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 15:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

"Professionally Cleaned" does not necessarily mean bed bug free. I still think you have a strong case that the bed bugs were brought in with the rental furniture. If it were me, I'd probably bring in an experienced PCO to inspect the home. It's very possible, that they can "date" the infestation by carefully examining any fecal smears that might be left on the furniture, and therefore possibly make a case that the furniture was infected prior to being brought into your home. There may be other evidence as well they can use to support this this thesis.

I would think the insurance company would reimburse your exterminating costs anyway based on timing and circumstances, but if not a PCO report should be enough to make them comply. You might also put the same pressure on the rental company as well. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. I would not lie down on this as exterminating costs tend not to be inexpensive.

Richard

6. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Apr 20 2017 15:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,582 posts in 43,275 topics over 130 months by 18,981 of 19,559 members. Latest: Ehe22, Koonspg4s, slynnp1