Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Is this a bed bug? (This time I'm not hopeful)

(20 posts)
  1. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2009 18:46:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I willed my own personal hell on myself. I'm so crazy afraid of bedbugs, but had just convinced myself that given the lack of any evidence, my phobia is baseless. And then, I found what's pictured at the link under the piping of the bed my to-be roommate moved into the apt. in late May. And, there were at least 2 and maybe more really tiny clear bugs walking around the side of the mattress, which I killed.

Here's the picture, which I'm dreading is a smushed up, very dead bed bug: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41514790@N02/

Luckily, I've heard my landlord (which is an institution) is very proactive, so I plan to call first thing tomorrow morning. Guess I'll just take a sleeping pill tonight, and try to convince myself they're isolated to her room.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2009 19:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

There are no distinguishing characteristics in that photo that convince me that that's a bed bug.

The tiny clear bugs could be nymphs, but they could also be book lice or any number of other bugs.

3. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2009 19:14:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Buggyinsocal. Oh, that gives me some hope. Given what I described, do you have any advice on whether it would be crazy to ask the landlord to get a PCO, to check things out? The landlord is responsible, and it would be easier to treat my roommates room (though not mine) before she unpacks her boxes, I would think.

I'm so crazy phobic (maybe I will call my shrink in the morning too ) that I'm not sure whether to work on chilling the heck out, or whether this is enough evidence that it's reasonable to have it checked out.

Thanks again!

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2009 22:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bug or bed bug related.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

5. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2009 23:08:35
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome, thanks so much! Maybe I'll sleep w/o that sleeping pill.

Since I'm driving myself kind of nutso about bed bugs, would you mind explaining how I can tell it's not bed bug related so I know for next time?

Also, does anyone have advice: Since there are little tiny white/clear bugs running around on my roommate's bed, should I try to get a PCO anyway? They're too small for me to make out anything about their shape to tell bed bug nymphs from anything else.

6. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2009 23:21:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Having looked at only bed bugs for the last 4+ years and mainly bed bugs for 7+ years you get to be able to immediately see if its feasible for a bed bug to look like that. I would say that the items in the picture are most likely some sort of plant based material.

With the small clear insects you need to collect some samples and have them identified by either an entomologist or an experienced PCO with access to the right equipment to be able to view the samples. Generally you are more likely to get an accurate and faster diagnosis from an entomologist.

I would however have a look at the information about on book lice or pscocids and some of the info on bird mites.

David

7. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2009 23:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again. Okay, I'll see if I can get those tiny buggers into a ziplock w/o smushing them. Wasn't having much luck today, but maybe in a calmer state.

I don't think the thing I posted was plant material -- there was blood on the mattress where it had apparently been smushed between the piping and the side of the mattress, and though it's hard to see in the picture, I'm pretty sure there are legs on the bugger. But maybe some other type of critter then.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2009 11:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're in the NYC vicinity, you can bring it over and I can look at it.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  9. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2009 14:07:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh thanks for the offer Loubugs! I'm about 1 1/2 hours from NYC, so I don't think I can bring it by anytime soon. I'm actually at a university, so I suppose maybe I could see if there's an entomologist here who will look at it.

Do you think it might be a bedbug from the picture?

10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2009 15:25:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with David, it's not BB related....

11. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2009 15:36:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks EffeCi! Hopefully now I've learned my lesson: bug on bed, no matter how red or striped does not equal bedbug.
    phew.

12. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 18 2009 23:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I caught some of those clear bugs (in a completely different part of the apt.), but fingers crossed I think they are psocids, so thanks for sending me in that direction!

I'm going to see if I can take some close-ups tomorrow when my camera battery is charged (no magnifying glass...). But they seem to be more elongated than bedbug nymphs and have a clearer separation between the head and body.

I can tolerate these guys, as long as they're not bbs. I guess I just have to wait for fall and lower humidity...

13. never_again

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 12:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found 2 of these in monitors, and just yesterday managed to think i would probably clear (no evidence of BB at all)... it never stops... but psocids look alot like BB... damn them for that!

14. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 13:16:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I can just imagine Dr. Lou, at the museum, trying to look discreet in a rumpled trench coat receiving samples from panicked urban denizens under the big blue whale.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  15. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 13:17:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I can just imagine Dr. Lou, at the museum, trying to look discreet in a rumpled trench coat receiving samples from panicked urban denizens under the big blue whale.

16. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 14:03:12
    #

Login to Send PM

funny, just today i finally caught a bug off the roommates bed (after more bb nightmares, geesh). indeed, another psocid. the positive thing about psocids is that every time i can make out those three distinct body sections, i do a little dance and say a little prayer of thanks that it wasn't bb nymph.

17. never_again

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 14:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

hmmm i can't distinctly make out 3 sections, but i see a distinctly roundish head separate from the body which is elongated... not short and fatish like a BB

18. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 14:44:53
    #

Login to Send PM

seriously phobic - 39 minutes ago  » 
    funny, just today i finally caught a bug off the roommates bed (after more bb nightmares, geesh). indeed, another psocid. the positive thing about psocids is that every time i can make out those three distinct body sections, i do a little dance and say a little prayer of thanks that it wasn't bb nymph.

See, once you learn some key identifiers, get a magnifier, and examine what you find life gets easier. It really isn't very difficult.

In addition notice psocids have a big nose on 'em.

Jim

19. seriously phobic

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 17:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

never_again, i've developed a new love for my semi-fancy digital camera due to it's bug examination assistance. i stick the bug on white paper under a bright light, put the camera on digital macro setting, and take as close a picture as i can get in focus. the display then lets me zoom in until i can see an impressive amount of detail. body sections and the big nose too!

i suppose a magnifying glass is a simpler solution, but this is what i have.

that said, the fact that you can see a head and elongated body seem like sufficient evidence...

20. never_again

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 21:51:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks seriously phobic,

I've had a few digital camera's that have been stolen =( ... another joy to living in the city. I haven't gotten another one yet because.. well.... it can't get stolen if i don't have it. I think i will get a microscope next to ID bugs, and get the camera later.

I guess the section i can't see in the magnifying glass is the dividing part btw head/body that also sprouts legs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,716 posts in 31,255 topics over 95 months by 13,521 of 17,233 members. Latest: Fozsbear, NotInfested, slee