(5 posts)
  1. wurmobernd

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 14:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

the last six weeks or so have been quite an emotional roller coaster ride for me. On an almost daily basis, I observed skin irregularities I had never had before, and I soon began to suspect something was biting me.

While I had thought about bed bugs, I doubted it, because they were almost always solitary bites, only in a few cases two or three bites were in proximity to each other. The bites were also mostly on parts of the body where I had worn clothes over night (near the arm pits, on the sides, below the shoulders etc.), and most of them were relatively small. While some itched for some time or started itching again after several days, most either stopped itching minutes after I noticed them or never itched at all. So far, it has never been more than three or so bites a day, sometimes it was only one, sometimes none. Never a longer pause, though.

Yesterday, I suddenly realized that I had slept in a youth hostel two or three days before the whole thing started. I didn't see anything suspicious there, there is no prior mention of bed bugs in their reviews, and my clothes and stuff were also mostly quite far from the bed, and elevated (chair, table) as well. (Sweaty from a day of hiking, though.) I also had no immediate bites the next day or two, as far as I recall, and the hostel was a very new building and very clean - though I have learned that need not mean much as far as bed bugs are concerned.

Anyway, I started searching my whole (small, perhaps 4x4 m) room for any signs of bed bugs. Neither the mattress, nor the wooden bed showed any signs of feces or shed skin or dead animals. Nothing on the carpet below or behind the book shelf above the bed. Today, I found something sticking to a backrest (textile top) I keep at the wall side of the bed, and it looks a lot like an empty bed bug egg to me - although it seems somewhat larger than most sites say bed bug eggs are (this is 2,5 to 3 mm, as you may see from the picture).

Can you tell by looking at my pictures? What does it all mean? It's driving me absolutely crazy, and I am full of fear of having to tell others and of possibly having to pay huge amounts of money for getting rid of these beasts.

https://ibb.co/mmzecb
    https://ibb.co/d1cMqw

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 14:15:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bed bug eggs.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. wurmobernd

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 14:18:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot! I'm relieved (for the moment...)!

May I ask what makes you certain? The size?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 14:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

wurmobernd - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks a lot! I'm relieved (for the moment...)!
    May I ask what makes you certain? The size?

morphology & size

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. wurmobernd

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 14:31:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7