Is this a bed bug? [a: outdoor true bug nymph]

(8 posts)
  1. KT2017

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 13:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a bug on laptop screen. In this apartment building they have recently detected bed bugs in two apartments, which makes me very worried that this might be a bed bug as well.

If that picture is not visible, the picture should be here as well:

http://imgur.com/a/n5uEi

The previous bugf I found was not a bed bug, but to my eye, this looks much more like a bed bug. The length from end of the bug to the head is about 2 mm or maybe slightly more.

2. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 14:25:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no pro, but that doesn't look like one to me. The antennae aren't that big... maybe a relative of sorts?

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the pros.

Good luck to all, and please research anything you are thinking about possibly doing prior to doing it- SAFETY FIRST!
  3. KT2017

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 15:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

And here is a picture when it was upside-down (I think):

http://imgur.com/a/BLgvF

4. ophelia

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 15:54:55
    #

Login to Send PM

No...I dont think so. It's colors are black and yellow which are not of a bed bug. And its antennas are way too long. Not a bed bug.

5. KT2017

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 15:57:27
    #

Login to Send PM

ophelia - 41 seconds ago  » 
    No...I dont think so. It's colors are black and yellow which are not of a bed bug. And its antennas are way too long. Not a bed bug.

But if it is a "baby" bed bug, don't they have a lighter color than the adults? And doesn't blood turn to black at some some point?

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 8:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

KT2017 - 16 hours ago  » 

ophelia - 41 seconds ago  » 

But if it is a "baby" bed bug, don't they have a lighter color than the adults? And doesn't blood turn to black at some some point?

You're reading too much into it. Color isn't as important as structure. It is a true bug nymph, but not a bed bug. It's from outdoors, a plant feeder. You can see a short beak on the ventral view. Antennae are not bed bug antennae. Very nice pictures and you are able to clearly see structure. Also there are many insects and mites that are red, but it's their normal coloration and not that color from sucking up our blood.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. KT2017

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 13:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 hours ago  » 
    You're reading too much into it. Color isn't as important as structure. It is a true bug nymph, but not a bed bug. It's from outdoors, a plant feeder. You can see a short beak on the ventral view. Antennae are not bed bug antennae. Very nice pictures and you are able to clearly see structure. Also there are many insects and mites that are red, but it's their normal coloration and not that color from sucking up our blood.

I am really grateful for your help! Maybe I should also consider getting rid of my indoor plants in case those bugs live in my plants. Too much stress because of false alarms...

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 15:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

KT2017 - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 5 hours ago  » 

I am really grateful for your help! Maybe I should also consider getting rid of my indoor plants in case those bugs live in my plants. Too much stress because of false alarms...

Why get rid of the plants? Just learn what both nymph and adult bed bugs look like and keep your plants. You won't have false alarms once you know what the real insect looks like.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335