Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is there any way to tell the bed bugs are definitely gone

(62 posts)
  1. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 1:40:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been reading here where people have extended periods with bed bugs. Is there any way to tell for sure they really are gone or were never there in the first place?

2. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 6:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 4 hours ago  » 
    I've been reading here where people have extended periods with bed bugs. Is there any way to tell for sure they really are gone or were never there in the first place?

Faye, just curious, did you ever even get a confirmation that you did indeed have bed bugs. It seems to me you're driving yourself crazy over something that may not even be there. Take some time away from this site, go do something relaxing and don't worry so much.

Back to the subject at hand. In my month and a half of reading story after story everyday, most from years ago, I can tell you I wouldn't be confident they were gone unless I hit the 2 year mark. I know, people will bash that opinion but I've read too many stories about 8 months, 9 months, a year down the road and bam, they are back. Everyone blames it on reinfestation but who really knows. Maybe there was a pregnant female that ran into a wall during treatment and survived, maybe even going dormant, then popping back out a year down the road to start it all over again. Seriously, take some time off this site, relax, keep monitoring and enjoy

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 6:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand where you're coming from, but I am obsessed with this and can't take a break. I haven't had anything confirmed, and hope I never do, and not sure what I saw, but I am afraid it was a bed bug.

So what does a person do during the 2 years? Do they not go into anyone else's house or let anyone into theirs?

4. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 6:25:23
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 24 seconds ago  » 
    I understand where you're coming from, but I am obsessed with this and can't take a break. I haven't had anything confirmed, and hope I never do, and not sure what I saw, but I am afraid it was a bed bug.
    So what does a person do during the 2 years? Do they not go into anyone else's house or let anyone into theirs?

Faye, really? Live life, it's just a bug, you can't just isolate yourself forever or until you think your clear. The 2 years is just my opinion on when I'd be comfortable in saying I'm clear. I currently have a confirmed infestation but I just can't isolate my family from the rest of the world. My girls go to their other parents house every weekend. I have no choice over that. I just do everything in my power and take every precaution I can to keep them from taking any unwanted guest with them. Life will go on, you need to enjoy it regardless. Just be mindful of other people and take precautions and that's even if you have them to begin with.

5. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 6:36:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just asking what you meant by the two years. I hope you get rid of your infestation real soon.

6. mp7ski

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 7:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 37 minutes ago  » 
    I was just asking what you meant by the two years. I hope you get rid of your infestation real soon.

Thanks, I don't see that happening considering it isn't light or confined to one area but I will control it and eventually be rid of them one way or another. I don't mean to dog on you or insinuate that you just forget about them, cause there's always that possibility you do have them. And if by chance you did, you definitely want to catch it as quick as possible, but don't let it consume your life or health. I get the anxiety and paranoia, believe me, the first few weeks I would break down and freak out. But at the end of the day, I tell myself they aren't going to kill you and to not let them control your life. Ya, it's a lifestyle change, but worse things happen to people everyday. Hope your really in the clear!

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 10:23:41
    #

Login to Send PM

At ten weeks there would be signs. Bed bugs will not choose not to feed if a meal is available. They will relocate in time if an area of the house is abandoned and move to where the meal has moved.
    At this point I would feel confident that you do not have bed bugs.
    You do have an unhealthy case of "headbugs," which can be a bigger problem. Take a break from this message board and from any bed bug research. The less you focus on something the less it will take away time from living your life.
    You've learned what to look for, now get outta here and get back to living. If you find yourself exposed in the future we'll still be here and we can identify any photos you post, but it's time for you to take your leave.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  8. Unsure0817

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 12:19:42
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy, Can you please clear up the 2-years before you can say you're clear statement, too? I think that could set a lot of people off. I get that mp7ski is saying that for him that's the marker (no disrespect, mp!), but that could really freak some people out. What do Pros say? Thank you.

9. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to rely on C02 traps to help me know when they are gone. I have isolated myself from getting bites, installed interceptors and treated the house, so any survivors should be getting good and hungry by now and the CO2 trap should draw them to it.

Account closed
  10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:49:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Unsure0817 - 1 hour ago  » 
    BigDummy, Can you please clear up the 2-years before you can say you're clear statement, too? I think that could set a lot of people off.

What are you talking about with this two years nonsense?

11. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I read about people who say, or their PCO's say, there are no signs, therefore, it seems contradictory. They say that until they take their bed frames apart they don't see anything. I haven't taken my frame apart. My husband and I are senior citizens can not as easily move mattresses and box springs as other people. Therefore, I am not be seeing the obvious signs. I have looked on the top of the mattress and the edges and top of the box spring and under it from the bottom to some extent, but that's not perfect. What about people not seeing things until disassemble their frames, including no fecal marks I guess.
    Thanks.

12. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 14:23:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear FayeState,
    I do not see all kinds of stories of not seeing anything before they took apart their bed frame.

I do read stories where people originally missed signs, but then after they know what they should be seeing they do realize that those black spots were fecal, etc.

Or stories where they claim they didn't see anything but then if you read on they obviously mean they only saw live bugs when they took apart the bed frame, but they had other real signs beforehand (other than bites, which you yourself don't even have). Or they say they "saw almost no bugs, just one or two" until they went info full cleaning mode.

I did not read any stories of people looking for 10 weeks and not seeing anything and then confirming bed bugs after that period.

They either disappear from the forum (proving that they really didn't have bugs, otherwise you would certainly see them post questions again), or they keep posting but never any confirming signs.

I am just as certain as BigDummy that you do not have bed bugs. You need to talk to a live person though, and ask for help in getting over your obsession.

13. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 15:14:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if we are getting bitten or not since we could be non-reactors, maybe stuff like dry skin or pimples are really bed bug bites, I don't know. Obviously the people looked for a reason, and I think it was probably bites. I will keep in mind what you said when I read more stories.

14. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 15:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I'd like to see BigDummy's response to my response to him.

15. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 15:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

But dear Faye, he has answered the same questions in other threads with you. I specifically remember him writing that yes, you would see signs on the outside too. He knows what he is talking about, and is rational, and you are not really listening.
    You are reading what you fear most, filtering out the rational part and creating a nightmare for yourself.

Please talk to a real person and let them help you get away from the obsession.

You do not even have welts. You are creating your own nightmare and need to find the strength to end it - in your head.

16. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 15:46:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, but please let him speak for himself. Also, you don't need to have welts to have bites.

17. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 15:57:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sure BigDummy will decide to answer or not regardless of whether I refer to other posts of him.

And yes, sure a person can be bitten but not show welts. So the absence of welts in itself is not the proof that you don't have bugs. But the absence of any sign at all should allow you to rationally decide that you do not have bugs. For someone without welts this is much easier than for people who DO actually have welts as their only sign. That is what I meant with: and you don't even have welts.

People that have terrible itchy skin reactions but no confirming bed bug signs can be having a hard time accepting that they don't have bed bugs since they are constantly confronted with their burning red welts. For you it should be easier to let it go.

I really hope you will talk to a live person soon.

18. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 16:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just looking at JAYLA10 who said only sign was bites until took off bottom of box spring and found a casing. She showed a picture, and while one person said looked like a bed bug, no professionals commented, and she never commented again.

19. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 16:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

That is the kind of thing that is driving me crazy.

20. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 18:26:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't taken my frame apart. My husband and I are senior citizens can not as easily move mattresses and box springs as other people.

Could you get some people to help you from the church or senior center?

I have a similar situation where I am unable to tear apart the bed and frame so I used a bulb duster and dusted under the frame with cimexa. If bugs are up there, they are well dusted and dying.

FayeState, I don't know if you are too obsessed or just being very cautious. I'm battling an infestation and it is such a stressful and emotional experience, and I'm sad to see people speaking down to you about your concerns because fear, obsession, phobias can take hold and we have no control over it. And a bed bug forum should be a safe place to get help and express our fears. Do what YOU need to do to feel safe in your own home. If that means treating the house for bed bugs and placing interceptor traps, encasing your bed, then do that. Then, if a bug ever does get in, it has no chance of survival.

oh, and I have also read several posts where PCOs didn't find bugs and said the place was all clear but then later bed bugs were seen. If the professionals are misssing them then why not untrained people?

21. Unsure0817

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 19:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Big Dummy, I didn't say two years. Someone else said it in the thread, and I was hoping you'd point out that that's not what pros say so that if someone new to bbs reads this post and sees that, they'll not take it as truth.

22. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 19:13:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I had bed bugs, didn't trust my PCO but listened to him anyway. Last bite mid November after first treatment. First bites late Sept. with no signs but by mid November found 2 nymphs and had house treated twice. I have passive monitors on beds and 1 couch with no evidence. According to David Cain two weeks clear means we are clear. We are three weeks since monitors went up
    I continue to read the forum and am concerned when people who are new to the problem disparage what the experts say and thus feed into someone who is overly worried

23. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 19:23:15
    #

Login to Send PM

First bites late Sept. with no signs but by mid November found 2 nymphs

So you went almost 2 months with bites but no physical signs of bed bugs? And yet you think FayeSate is "overly worried" because she saw what she thinks is a bed bug and is looking for them.

24. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 20:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes because she has been looking for much longer

25. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 20:26:55
    #

Login to Send PM

And in our case it was not under 6 weeks

26. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 20:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant it was less than 6 weeks

27. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 21:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Lllo - 1 hour ago  » 
    I continue to read the forum and am concerned when people who are new to the problem disparage what the experts say and thus feed into someone who is overly worried

Thank you for saying that, it is concern I cant express because it comes across as wrong.

David

28. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 1:40:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Lilo, I might have been looking longer, but, unfortunately, in a limited way. That's why I am stressed about this, especially when I read about PCO's that can't find any signs when the bed bugs are obviously there.

29. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 3:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

We set out traps and eventually found 2 nymphs by our couch. We had been looking for several weeks but never found anything until then. During our first treatment the PCO found a dead adult. We have a 2,600 square foot house so it was very hard to look everywhere.
    I realize we have been very lucky. I trust the BB Alert monitors which are now ont the beds and the couch which was likely where they were. Our last treatment was December 1 and the monitors were attached Dec 16 I think. We will continue to check them for a year.
    I have had no bites since since right after the first treatment. My inclination was to go overboard and was getting estimates for heating the whole house or just the couch but listened to my PCO who kept telling me to relax and wait and see.
    I still feel like things are crawling on me and I freak out every time I itch but I recognize that I am imagining things.
    Good luck but I think you should listen to all the professionals who are saying to stop looking. Put out the passive monitors and let them do the work for you. It is so much easier

30. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 3:30:57
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of traps did you use? I should do that. I have made some of the stuff Lou mentioned and so far am lucky and nothing caught. Sounds like you have a great PCO. Where are you located? Was the prep real bad? I need to put out BB passive monitors also. I take it yours have been clear - hope stays that way.

31. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 3:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in Canada. I think the passive monitors work better than the traps. They were simple glue traps and I have since read that they aren't very effective. We were lucky.
    We didn't really have to prep except to launder bedding, etc. and move beds away from walls. We removed the outlet covers as well. It was a very mild infestation and our PCO was terrific although I could tell he thought I was over reacting

32. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 3:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

What did you have to do with books, photographs, VHS records, papers.

33. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 4:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing

34. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 11:00:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I did not mean to talk down to you FayeState. I apologize if I came across as insensitive to your fears. I can see that you are scared and just want to help you understand you do not need to be since all the signs point to you not having bed bugs at all. But talking on a forum doesn't help.

And by all means, when you want you should install a passive monitor to help minimize your fears. BigDummy has also been saying that for a long time.

35. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 12:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread is a jumbled mess.

Faye, you don't have bed bugs.

Your question itself is irrational. You need to accept that there are no bed bugs to not be there.

36. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 14:50:11
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy I would love to accept what you say, but I do not understand the basis for it. Many people on here do not find obvious evidence of bed bugs, yet end up having them. I read that even today. So, therefore, while I don't want them, I am not certain I do not have them.

37. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 15:17:50
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are referring to that "small bug found in the sink but no signs anywhere" story, that was not a bed bug according to loubugs, BigDummy and David Cain. See the other thread from the same person that she started today with pictures of the suspected bed bug that turned out to be a book louse:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/please-help-with-identification-2

38. jds

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 15:17:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I myself have a good story to share about "head bugs". It's my own story. Currently we have a passive monitor installed, but I'm sure we didn't have any bed bugs in the first place. I'll share my story later in full after the passive monitor surveillance has ended,just to warn other neurotic people like me.

39. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 15:53:09
    #

Login to Send PM

AliceAlarmed, yes that is the one I was referring too and I just read you had responded to it. However, I have read other similar stories on this bulletin board.

40. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 17:12:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You are unwilling to accept professional opinions and cling to "what ifs."

There is nothing more I can do for you.

41. AliceAlarmed

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 17:36:47
    #

Login to Send PM

jds - 2 hours ago  » 
    I myself have a good story to share about "head bugs". my own story.

Looking forward to it :-), thanks!

42. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 17:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't mean to upset anyone, and I really appreciate the help I have been given. I just want to understand why it is thought I don't have bed bugs since, from what I read, people, including PCO's, often don't see them because they hide so well.

43. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 17:44:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, that is nowhere near the truth.
    The main reason it's thought that you don't have bed bugs is because you have not once presented even a hint of evidence that would suggest otherwise in a time frame long enough that there could potentially be hundreds to spot. You're arguing against logic and reality, so again, how could anyone possibly help you.

44. bugged-cdn

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 18:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, you need to do what many pros (and other members) have suggested and not read any bed bug related materials (including this message board) for a while. That doesn't mean just refraining from posting, it means not even reading.

Go out and do one thing you enjoy doing every day.

If you end up getting bed bugs at some point in the future, you will know where to look for help.

45. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 21:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState do you have any traps or monitors set up? There are a variety of trap styles and baits that can be used to see if you have bed bugs. I can't speak down about your worries because for you they are real but, what have you done as preventative measures to try and put your mind at ease?

46. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 23:26:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to have to figure out a way to put climb-ups under the legs of my bed, which is heavy to lift. I have David's passive monitor that I can use without doing that. My impression from what people are saying is that after 11 weeks, without treatment, were there bed bugs I would see them even without traps, etc. - though maybe I'm interpreting that wrong. Also, I am using Lou's folded paper stuff since I don't have to lift the bed for that.

47. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 0:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe use a car jack to lift each corner of the bed. Borrow one from the neighbor if you don't have one.

And if you truly want to end the worry and obsession then you need to take action. Put up the monitors and traps. See what happens.

48. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 11:09:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 13 hours ago  » 
    FayeState do you have any traps or monitors set up? There are a variety of trap styles and baits that can be used to see if you have bed bugs.

You are once again adding to the madness and supporting her trip down the rabbit hole. You haven't even cleared your own infestation (I've cleared two so far this week for those keeping score), what makes you think you should be giving advice?

Ask questions, stop giving false answers.

49. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 11:09:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 10 hours ago  » 
    Maybe use a car jack to lift each corner of the bed. Borrow one from the neighbor if you don't have one.
    And if you truly want to end the worry and obsession then you need to take action. Put up the monitors and traps. See what happens.

More crap advice.

50. Bappida

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 11:38:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, why don't you get an inspection by a Pro?

51. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 13:44:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 13 hours ago  » 

Thanks for the advice, but my husband doesn't want me to do it since he thinks it will break the bed.

52. FayeState

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 13:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Bappida,
    The PCO's I spoke with said they don't do a thorough examination where they take the bed apart (take off dust cover, take apart frame) and take the sofa dust cover off. One even told me that unless the resident helps him, he doesn't lift the box spring off the bed since he can't do it himself. If I were to have an examination, I would want to have a thorough one.

53. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 16:04:51
    #

Login to Send PM

You are once again adding to the madness and supporting her trip down the rabbit hole.

Why do you care if she installs monitors and traps? She's clearly obsessed and said she can't stop obsessing because she thinks she saw a bed bug. So which of these options will help an obsessed person stop imagining her house has bugs...
    1. Your way of telling her she's crazy and to stop obsessing.
    2. Or suggest that she install some monitoring devices and check them weekly.

54. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 16:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 19 minutes ago  » 

You are once again adding to the madness and supporting her trip down the rabbit hole.

Why do you care if she installs monitors and traps? She's clearly obsessed and said she can't stop obsessing because she thinks she saw a bed bug. So which of these options will help an obsessed person stop imagining her house has bugs...
    1. Your way of telling her she's crazy and to stop obsessing.
    2. Or suggest that she install some monitoring devices and check them weekly.

You continue to support an unhealthy view by posting such nonsense.
    Whether you like my approach or not doesn't matter to me, please let me work without hijacking anymore threads because you feel like your one experience gives you reason to dole out advice.

55. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 16:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

please let me work without hijacking anymore threads

Hijacking threads? She asked "Is there any way to tell the bed bugs are definitely gone?" To which I suggested installing monitors and traps. And I only made that suggestion after reading through all the other comments and not seeing anyone suggest it. You could have suggested a monitoring system. I suspect you probably have in previous threads but I really don't know. Anyway, I don't want to continue back and forth because I respect everyone here who volunteers time to help people dealing with this issue, but it's hard to stay quiet when you make snarky comments to me.

56. Lllo

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 17:10:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I wasn't going to respond to this anymore but you are wrong. It has been suggested several times that Faye use the BB Alert or Packtite passive monitors. They are the same thing. They would let her know if there are or are not bed bugs and thus provide peace of mind. You are talking about traps and monitors and car jacks
    People do care about those who are obsessed and have offered compassionate responses and suggestions on how to deal with those feelings.

57. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jan 13 2017 17:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

You are talking about traps and monitors and car jacks

I also suggested getting help from the church, community center, or senior center. I thought the car jack was a brilliant solution for an eldery couple to lift the bed just high enough to put a trap on the leg. Can't apologize for thinking outside the box.

58. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Sat Jan 14 2017 4:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Lllo - 2 days ago  » 

Well said, Lllo.

Poiqm,

I believe you are trying to help, but in this case, this is not a new discussion and people are trying in one way or another to support Faye and help by encouraging her to stop worrying about this and step away from the forums.

Forums have cultures, and history, and when you join one, it's not always easy to figure those out right away. I also understand it can be hard to know what conversations have been going on for a while, in an established community such as this.

With that in mind, I do think there's validity in the suggestion that you don't try to give so much advice, especially since you appear to be new to bed bugs. I'm not just talking about this particular thread, and I understand from the above that others here aren't either.

The Forum Rules give some advice on this, and the following is the most relevant section:

Netiquette and the customs and culture of this community

Civility

Please do be civil to others. Attacking ideas is okay, attacking people is not. It should be obvious that calling others names is not permitted.

Giving Advice

Please do not give advice on anything you're not qualified to give advice about. This is tricky, in terms of rules, because to some degree, you have to regulate yourself.

Most consumers -- even those who have self-treated their homes -- should not be giving advice on which pesticides to buy and how to use them, for example, telling people to buy DE or how to apply DE.

Offering a description of what you did for yourself in a post about your bed bug story is okay but this is very distinct from suggesting others do something similar. If the thread is one where a request for treatment advice is being made by the OP, you may have already crossed the boundary between "describing how I got rid of bed bugs" and "giving advice to others on treatment".

If we have a FAQ on it (like DE or steam), please direct people to those. If you don't agree with those FAQs or think something should be added, then please make a suggestion about that. Remember there are qualified experts here who may be willing to answer questions about pesticides and you can direct users to them.

You are very welcome to participate here, but please hear some of the feedback here and understand where it's coming from.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  59. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 11:02:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi OW124,

Best practice is to start a new thread on a new topic which your case would be. It helps keep your information together and stops people ignoring an old thread thinking they have contributed to
    it.

Hope that helps.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  60. OW124

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 12:39:31
    #

Login to Send PM

How do I do that? I tried creating one and hit sent but I don't know where it went???

61. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 18:19:20
    #

Login to Send PM

OW124 - 5 hours ago  » 
    How do I do that? I tried creating one and hit sent but I don't know where it went???

OW124,
    Your post was temporarily in the spam filter. See this thread How to use the forums/FAQs about the forums.. This issue is covered in the section onTroubleshooting ("Where did my post go"). It's resolved now but you may find the information helpful. Note that thread also covers how to post, and other questions about the forums and you can find it in the "green sticky" posts at the top of the main forums page.

Your thread is here.
    I closed the duplicate thread.

Note that other messages related to this discussion were deleted above.

62. BuggedbyNight

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 19:18:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, I have to agree with mostly everyone who interacts with you. Stop worrying about bed bugs. Your case was never like mine. I actually had them in my view. You have not. You need to stop obsessing. Please, just take a break from this place and the thought of bed bugs.

As a senior citizen, this is not good for your mental health.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,577 posts in 43,275 topics over 130 months by 18,981 of 19,559 members. Latest: Ehe22, Koonspg4s, slynnp1