Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Is there a predator for BB?

(11 posts)
  1. kjdrga

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 12:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Where do BB fit in on the food chain, they suck our blood and mate like rabbits but who eats them?

Just curious....

Can't wait to met the PCO's tomorrow!!!!

Signed itchy and scratchy...

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 12:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I know some spiders will eat Bed Bugs and masked hunters are known to predate on them as well but the later is less pleasant to have in your home than Bed Bugs from what I understand.

I agree that biological control would be nice but at this point in time it appears that Bed Bugs have evolved for millenia without a strong predator developing along side them.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. halp_halp_halp

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 17:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

This is interesting because I am currently trying to figure out if we have bedbugs in my apartment. Came home from a trip to find no obvious bedbugs showing up against my white mattress encasement but there were four or five little spiders. Maybe the spiders are what is biting me? Or maybe they are biting bed bugs.

4. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 19:00:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The little spiders are likely to be mites, as they look really similar on that scale.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2008 0:05:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs do have predators but they are not the solution and bring their own problems with them.

http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/19/faq-is-there-an-insect-that-will-eat-bed-bugs/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. bugsy bunny

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 15:23:13
    #

Login to Send PM

is it true that there is not one single pest who lives solely off bed bugs? what a freakin shame. and i know theres like good and bad that comes from every bug, but honestly, there is no good that comes from this bug right? they suck our blood.

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 16:45:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Reduvius personatus (L.) a.k.a. masked bed bug hunter is a bug that will feed on bed bugs,
    bat bugs etc. However it does not offer a control option for two reasons 1 it will not kill enough to effect control and 2 and most important is it gives one hell of a bite.
    Spiders, centipedes, roaches, pharaoh ants are other pests that will enjoy a bed bug or two but again not a biocontrol.

8. halp_halp_halp

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 17:56:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I sort of wish there was a pill I personally could swallow to become Human Bedbug Poison. Even if it made my hair fall out I would do it. The person who invents that is going to be a billionaire.

9. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 18:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Not if it makes your hair fallout.

10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 0:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a natural predator =)

11. halp_halp_halp

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2008 16:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I read up on house centipedes, and actually it looks like mostly they are incapable of biting through human skin. All they do is eat bed bugs and other insects, and move really fast. I actually think the pictures of them are kind of cute, but no doubt I'd be horrified in my current bug-jumpy state if one of them went shooting through my living room.

Here is a very sympathetic article about house centipedes: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2006/nov/17/legs-for-stinging-legs-for-snaring/

In Japan they are called gejigeji and apparently kept as pets, too! http://www.law.umaryland.edu/marshall/aboutlibrary/hours.html

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.