IS THE A BED BUG OR COCKROACh??

(14 posts)
  1. shonet

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 9:38:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Help, can anyone identify this insect for me? I found it in my bedroom and i hope it's not a bed bug. I have been having a chronic allergy from dust mites (hives and stuff) at my place for months and i really hope i dont get a bb problem now.

Image is : http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/14122/IMG_5721.JPG

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 9:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug in any event. Big long antennae. I wish I could narrow down a bit as to what it *is*. The experts will be along shortly, no doubt.

By the way that's a pretty good photo.

By the way in general, if a photo has something in it for scale that can be very helpful, such as a coin or ruler or fingertip. Although it's not *as* important for this photo where the image is so clear and detailed.

3. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 9:59:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a BB.

Beyond BBs & things commonly mistaken for BBs, my entomology is pants but that does look quite roachy. Have a bit of a google for "cockroach nymph" images, & see if they look right to you. There are some spontaneous colour variations in roaches, so concentrate on construction, not colour.

Odd to find it in your bedroom if it is a roach. Do you have adjoining neighbours? Or do you live in a shared house/ hall of residence, where people might be eating or storing food in their bedrooms?

If you're sensitive to dustmites, it's not uncommon to react to roaches in your environment. You can buy Roach Motels in DIY stores - put them in dark warm & preferably damp spots out of the way of pets & children. Good news is, judging by that" .ac.uk", your landlord is responsible for treatment if you do have roaches.

4. shonet

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 10:18:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for all the quick replies and advice!

I live in an apartment and my bedroom is about 5 steps away from the kitchen.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 13:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

looks like a cockroach nymph

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  6. jrbtnyc

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 13:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 minutes ago  » 
    looks like a cockroach nymph

But a relatively exotic one Lou? Some tropical version? Or maybe just molted or something? I can't recall seeing one which had that particular appearance.

7. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 16:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a common pest species, in my opinion...

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 16:05:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Right, not a common species, at all. I don't know which species. It's from the UK?

9. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 16:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Right, not a common species, at all. I don't know which species.

Me too...
    I keep for hobby more than 60 different species of cockroaches (pest species included), but that nymph doesn't resemble any species I'm familiar with.

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 21:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Just checking in on this and glad to hear it is not a common species. I couldn't place it in the usual suspects of roaches.

German...No
    Brown banded.....No
    American....no
    Oriental......no

Darn limey roaches.

Jim

11. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 21:40:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou, EffeCi; could one or both of you guys please suggest an intro to entomology textbook? Something aimed at the undergraduate debutante in World of Bugs. I don't seem to be losing this (unanticipated) interest in things with exoskeletons, so it's time I expanded my knowledge base beyond fleas, BBs, crab spiders, a few ticks & Dermestidae, a selection of garden insects, & "roachy".

My money was on an Ectobius pallidus nymph - I clearly need to do a lot more reading.

12. shonet

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 21:53:09
    #

Login to Send PM

i live in australia melbourne. The bug is about 0.5cm in length and 0.2 cm wide.

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 22:24:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Periplaneta australasiae ... That is about as technical i'll ever get on this site =)

14. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 17 2011 1:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

No, I keep Periplaneta australasiae too, and nymphs are "striped".
    May look as a nymph of Drymaplaneta semivitta, but not sure.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,143 posts in 31,022 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,849 members. Latest: senses123, So Mad, joshc