Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Is it true bb's can't climb metal??

(5 posts)
  1. dragon2wings

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 21:38:07
    #

Login to Send PM

My bed frame is made entirely out of metal and holds the bed at least a good 8 inches off the ground. Because the legs are metal, does that mean that bed bugs won't be able to climb up into the bed? I read somewhere that they have problems climbing polished surfaces, but I don't know if that applies to all metals or if that's just certain materials.

Also, my bed is a futon. Does anyone know if there is any more likeliness of bed bugs hiding/burrowing/nesting/whatever in a futon than in a normal mattress? There are rips in the material covering my futon, which would make it easier for them to get inside. Blech *shivers*

Any knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 22:06:01
    #

Login to Send PM

They climb up metal, sometimes with ease. The reference to metal was originally that they don't like to harbor on the metal frames compared to wooden ones. Not really so. More rips, more tears, more access points for them.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  3. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 22:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

They can climb any surface that allows them traction.

Smoothly polished metal, plastic, or glass that is clean would be difficult to climb. The same surface with a layer of dust on it would be easier to climb.

Sean

4. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 23:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The texture of the object is the key... It can be hard to tell

Sean and Lou both maintain large colonies and perform research.

I've seen bed bugs climb out of a new Ziplock storage container, but they can't climb out of a smooth yogurt cup.

I've witnessed bed bugs run on a painted metal surface, but a solid polished surface will stop them.. the question is whether the surface provides traction... Slippery surfaces will challenge them...

Don't rely on use of a metal frame alone... Bugs will live on metal under some conditions... Bed bugs are very opportunistic... read the FAQs for some good ideas on how to isolate your bed effectively.

5. ProvidenceBites

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 27 2010 8:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a metal futon as well. I'm pretty sure they can climb it, however, at the same time, I feel like I was fortunate that it wasn't wood, because they didn't seem to want to stick around and harbor anywhere in it. They were, however, chillin right in the underside of my mattress, which is now encased.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,117 posts in 31,020 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,849 members. Latest: senses123, So Mad, joshc