Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Is it possible to kill bb's with Carbon-monoxide???

(7 posts)
  1. OmgThereAnnoying

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 2:27:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a quick question, but is it possible that i can kill bb's with carbon monoxide. Not that I'm crazy enough to flood my house with it, but in theory is it possible. I searched it on google but came up empty handed, instead got reviews on carbon dioxide, but in order to kill them with carbon dioxide i would have to clear the room of all the oxogen.

Just curious !!!!!!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 4:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have done some work on gas replacement for bedbug control and its certainly not feasible in something that is a wrapped and controlled environment so a whole building is 100% not going to work.

Carbon monoxide is also the last gas you would want to use as its extremely toxic/fatal to humans and the aim of the exercise is to kill the bedbugs not yourself.

Certainly not a DIY application as the safety systems you need to even test it cost £4,500

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. OmgThereAnnoying

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 12:01:14
    #

Login to Send PM

yea but you would have to leak a limited amount in the room to kill them no??? i dont really know how they breath but carbon monoxide kills us because it binds to our blood cells much more readily than Oxygen but then stays bound to the blood and no oxygen reaches the tissues, then we die..... if i leak a monitored amount into a controlled room or container .... will it kill them????

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 12:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Why on earth would anyone want to experiment with a gas so dangerous when there is a fumigant that can be used to treat a whole house?

Leave trying to kill bed bugs in a home with a gas that can kill people to the professionals. In the United States, fumigating a whole structure with Vikane is a safe, effective option. Pest control professionals have had decades of experience learning to use that chemical safely; they understand the protocols of using a gas that can kill people if you walk into a building being treated with it.

I think David's response is pretty clear: he tried using carbon monoxide in a controlled, lab environment. It didn't work in a controlled lab environment, so coming up with a practical application in the field is doomed to failure--and that's *before* getting to the rather massive safety concerns.

Too often we get desperate, sleep-deprived people here. The chances of someone reading this post and then doing something suicidally dangerous are far too great to continue speculating about something that an experienced PCO has debunked.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 16:44:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I did not try monoxide as it is far too dangerous to do so. I did try other gases which would be equally lethal if the process worked, the process did not work in an acceptable time frame. In fact most of the bedbugs that appeared dead woke up again some time later.

This is a very bad idea even for those with controlled and monitored environments and I will not contribute to this potentially dangerous thread further.

Its a bad idea, its that simple.

David

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 11:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

I apologize for misreading your response. I thought that since you said you'd worked with using gas and that since you quoted the price of a safety system for dealing with carbon monoxide, those suggested that you'd tried using carbon monoxide.

However, I also think my original point to the original poster stands: if an experienced PCO says that something is too dangerous, it would seem to me that that's the point at which we amateurs ought to think to ourselves that there are probably very good reasons a particular method isn't being pursued.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 11:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I actually used carbon dioxide which should theoretically work in the a similar way to carbon monoxide would if it were to work.

Thankfully the initial trials only resulted in massive headaches for two of us which cleared in a few hours. Given that the room we were working in was over 1,000 sq ft I am sure you appreciate that the risks in smaller spaces are amplified.

Its a 100% don't try this at home moment as the gases involved are both colourless and odourless which adds to their lethal nature.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,777 posts in 31,267 topics over 95 months by 13,526 of 14,301 members. Latest: LadyLosingIt14, MelissaTT, scaredofbedbugs520