Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Is it possible to just have one bed bug?

(4 posts)
  1. Redtape

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 17:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible to just have one bed bug?
    I always hear about cases of infestation, but is it possible to only have one bed bug? Lets say you only bring back one bed bug, and it's a male bed bug. Since it's not a female, it cannot lay eggs. And since the male has no other bedbugs to inseminate, there can't be anymore. Or, is it possible to have only two or three bed bugs? And the two or three all happen to be male?
    I always here cases of infestations, but I never hear about people only dealing with one or a couple.

2. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 17:46:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. But that bedbug would be awfully lonely.

In all seriousness, it's possible for you to bring one male or unfertilized female home with you. If you do happen to find a bedbug, though, you need to be diligent and not assume that it's a loner. Be on the lookout for any other signs and vacuum, put out monitors, etc.

3. Tessy

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 18:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, be VERY diligent! I found ONE bb back in January after being bitten. I've worked in pest control so I was aware of them and always a little concerned. Bought bedlam from my old job, sprayed and left it at that. About 3 months later, I had a "rash" on my arm and my husband kept tellin me to go to the doctor-you see, i didn't see any BBs, but still suspected. Bought more bedlam and DE, and put out lue boards and double sides tape. It helped, but very little. Luckily, the BBs were only on our bed and hadn't spread. But be diligent...was in warm water, dry in high heat, wash bedding every couple days.

4. Sprout

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 21:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Redtape, I hope you are lucky enough to really only have one (or a very few)!

I may be experiencing a similarly light presence of them:
    It's been bedbug drama around here this week. Found my first two ever on sides of our bed in the early morning. I'd awakened with yet another suspicious bite, and finding them confirmed my fears. We contacted our landlord and arranged for a PCO while I obsessively read everything ever written online about BBs. We got our first treatment today, but the techs hadn't called us with their assessment of how bad our situation is yet. My fiance went to work and said he'd let me know if they called him with details. I sat down to price encasements, DE, climb-ups...all the hot bedbugger accessories I was freaking out. This brings us to the emotional journey between two phone calls, each just now:
    Call #1: fiance calls to say that the pest company manager, a buddy of our landlord, had called. PCO Manager Guy told our landlord that our infestation is heavy, advanced, and that "bugs were in the dresser drawers and everything." Fiance relayed this to me and I felt shocked and miserable. I only saw three live bugs in two days (and two dead ones). Is it possible that there are so very many more ? Oh my gosh, it's the end of the world; I'm a horrible, dirty person, and my life is over. Fiance apologized for the bad news and got back to work.
    Ten somber minutes later, I receive Call #2, fiance again: the lead PCO who did our treatment today had finally phoned with his assessment. He said he found zero bugs and no signs of infestation!! How could this be?
    It turned out that the pest company manager dude had looked at the wrong file when he informed us earlier! We have very few bedbugs, apparently. No infestation nightmare. For the techs not to have even found a bug is actually kind of amazing. We're still going to go through the remaining treatments and we'll be washing, bagging, etc., in spite of the relieving news.
    I know we're not completely in the clear yet, but I'm feeling slightly more hopeful. The anxiety I'd put on myself for two days couldn't possibly serve the situation as well as keeping cool and following steps for eradication.

Now I just have to hope the stragglers didn't come in from an adjacent infested condo...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,391 posts in 29,446 topics over 90 months by 12,706 of 19,970 members. Latest: abq671, skittles1234, allergictomyself