Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Is it possible to have a bedbugs for 6 months without seeing them?

(6 posts)
  1. Marcus

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 17:14:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, people,
    Me and my wife spotted bed bugs at our apartment in March. My wife brought them with her luggage after staying at a hotel in Vegas. One morning she woke up with a bunch of bites on her leg and then we found actual bugs hanging out on our wooden bed. We washed all the bedding, checked every corner of our bedroom, steamed everything and applied pesticide to our bed frame. We found total of 4 bugs that day, all fed and filled with blood. One week after that we did another inspection with steaming and spraying. We also bought mattress cover and interceptors for our bed. I also disassembled our bed frame in panic mode and checked every crack and hole.
    Since then we haven't seen any bugs. We also haven't caught any bugs in interceptors. In June I disassembled our bed frame again, because I didn't put it back properly the first time, so I decided to do an inspection and found nothing. No skins or poop.
    The reason I'm asking you this is because from time to time I can see some small bumps on my skin which send me to a panic mode, although I didn't see any bites during our first encounter. Maybe I don't react. Yesterday I saw a big red bite on my wife's ankle and she said that it was itching. The ones that she had in March were smaller, but also red and itchy and appeared in rows.
    So my question is could we still have bed bugs or should I relax? I'm checking our bed at least once a week and checking interceptors and see nothing, yet every bump on my or her body looks suspicious. I would assume if we still had them the would've been some kind of evidence because we would have them for six months right now? It wasn't very hard to find bugs and evidence then why would it be so hard to find them now if the population had grown bigger?

Thank you!

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 17:47:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Usually, no, in six months you would have a pretty substantial infestation and would see signs. However, add in the fact you isolated the bed and treated, that complicates matters. I did something along the lines of what you did and 7 months later the bites are back and starting to get worse. So we are moving, throwing out all our furniture and vikaning the rest of our belongings.

Say your initial treatment and isolation of the bed rid your bed and frame of any bugs and eggs, however, bed bugs will harbor anywhere in the room especially close to the bed and even with the bed isolated, will find a way back onto the bed. It could even take time with the bed isolated, especially if there were not many left.

Most experts will disagree and say that you cant go by skin reactions, which i agree with to a certain extent, but I'm speaking from experience. My gf and I react differently and just in the last month or so we have both started getting the same reactions we were before.

This doesn't mean the reactions you guys are having are related to bed bugs. But honestly, if I were you, I'd throw all my bedding in the dryer for a couple hours, steam the frame, mattress, any close by furniture such as end tables, and the baseboards and any Crack and crevice in the room. Then go back through with another pesticide or desiccant dust treatment. I bet that would nip any potential problem in the bud.

That's just me. Any expert on here will tell you not to go by skin reactions and to monitor and inspect and treat only if signs are found.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 20:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have bed bugs after six months, there should will be fecal stains that an expert can find. Bed bugs feed at least once a week each and defecate nearby when they do. Get a professional in to inspect if you're worried.

That said, didn't you get the odd itchy bite or skin issue before bed bugs? These sound like they might be isolated incidents of mosquitos, gnats, biting ants, etc. that happen (which of these, or others, depending on your local wildlife).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Marcus

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 17:13:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 20 hours ago  » 
    If you have bed bugs after six months, there should will be fecal stains that an expert can find. Bed bugs feed at least once a week each and defecate nearby when they do. Get a professional in to inspect if you're worried.
    That said, didn't you get the odd itchy bite or skin issue before bed bugs? These sound like they might be isolated incidents of mosquitos, gnats, biting ants, etc. that happen (which of these, or others, depending on your local wildlife).

Thanks!
    I also think that we would've caught at least one in interceptors if we still had them.

As for bites, maybe there was something similar before, but we didn't pay attention to it like most people before the encounter bed bugs.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 1:10:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Marcus - 7 hours ago  » 
    I also think that we would've caught at least one in interceptors if we still had them.

Not necessarily. But there will be fecal stains, and someone who knows how to look for them should find them. That may not be you, but a professional should be able to.

As for bites, maybe there was something similar before, but we didn't pay attention to it like most people before the encounter bed bugs.

Exactly!

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 20:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Some pest companies have free inspections or really cheap. At least get an inspection done if you can.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,575 posts in 43,048 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234