Is it finally over?

(12 posts)
  1. blissful323

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 8:31:45
    #

Login to Send PM

How long before you know you’re in the clear after treatment? I realize bedbugs can be dormant for 12-18 months, but in an active household with plenty of people to bite, how likely is that to actually happen?

Long story short, I treated by myself, and have not seen a bug, bite, or sign of any bug since the end of August. Is it safe to breathe easy?

Over the summer, I had found one adult BB (that I didn’t realize until later, that it was a bedbug). Over the next few weeks, I found a 1st instar nymph, and then a 3rd instar nymph - and at this time, treated (all 3 bugs were found on my couch. I found no other signs in any rooms. I was the only person who has been bit, however, my kids had been with their dad most of the summer). I couldn’t afford a professional, so I treated myself. I found two dead 3rd instar nymphs after treatment. A few days later, found one more live (but barely) 3rd instar nymph. I have kept DE in all the crevices of all the furniture, and there was a ring of DE surrounding my couch for days (now it’s just underneath and behind). That was all at the end of August. No one has had any bites. All beds are still clear. I have not seen any live bugs. I have not seen any dead bugs. My best guess is that I somehow got a pregnant hitchhiker, she laid some eggs on my couch, and I was able to stop things before they spread. At least that is my hope.

Is it safe to say my battle is over?

2. hjbxo

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 9:48:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope so! For your sake, I’d keep treating or put some fresh DE down just in case. That’s one thing I have never used because I have asthma.

3. blissful323

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 14:37:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I would hate to keep using chemicals if there are no more bugs. I did 2 more treatments after the initial treatment, just in case. But I can’t see myself doing weekly treatments for the rest of forever. I don’t mind the DE usually... but I’m ready to sweep it up and really give this place a good cleaning.

4. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 15:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

My opinion is do a good cleaning and try to forget it happened.
    If there are signs it's still there later then deal with it then.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  5. shinydarkvoid

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 15:42:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to say the opposite of thirdusername, don't hate me haha.

Honestly, August was only three months ago. I think it would be better to keep treating for a little while longer just be make sure. If there is a bug left and it goes undeterred, you could have another infestation in a little while and you'd have to start all over again. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

6. blissful323

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 0:49:12
    #

Login to Send PM

There’s no getting the DE out of my furniture - I haven’t put more in it in at least a month, and you still get puffs of it if you sit down just right. It’s the floor I’m really looking to finally clean. It’s an eye sore, and guests definitely notice. Perhaps if my couch sat flush against the wall, it wouldn’t be so obvious, but it doesn’t.

I suppose I can keep it to a light sprinkle... I did go overboard at first, and pretty much have a pile surrounding my couch... 😂

7. CK15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 1:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read it's "safe" after 6-8 weeks of zero activity. See, bedbugs CAN go that long without eating, but they don't WANT to. That seems more to be for trapping and starving them, such as in an encasement.

I'm no pro at this stuff, just passing on what stuff I tend to see said a lot.

8. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 2:58:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If there is a available food source, they will come and feed.

9. blissful323

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Nov 15 2017 8:05:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I’ve only encased my mattress (the kids encasements got lost in the mail, and since there had been no more activity, I put buying more on hold since they’re due to have new mattresses before too long, anyway). I had never seen activity on my bed - only the one couch, and I treated both couches and the recliner (and the piano as best I could) simply because of location. I treated mattresses, but only encased mine. So if we still had bugs, they’d be biting someone? That’s pretty much what I had assumed, but I’ve read horror stories and don’t want a false sense of security. I guess I realize nothing is 100%, but I don’t want to live in fear that they’ll never be gone.

10. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Nov 15 2017 8:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

There is still the possibility that someone won’t react to the bites. Then you don’t know if nobody is bitten.

11. blissful323

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Nov 15 2017 22:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

3 of the 4 of us react with large welts, and my daughter is very allergic to the bites, and gets large puss filled welts the size of Texas. We are all highly reactive. The least reactive kid is the one who chooses to sit on the floor the most. So honestly, I think bites would be a decent indicator, at least in my household. If my boyfriend lived with us, I might feel differently, since he doesn’t react to them. But the four of us seem to attract bugs that bite, and then we break out. Haha

12. Mawiwala

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 4:56:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Then I think you are clear. I think that if you know you react and how bb bites look on you and your kids, that bites are good indicator, too.

The thing is that people tend to complain while unhappy. There could be quite more success stories out here, but you never heard about it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7