(5 posts)
  1. helpmeintheuk

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 22:29:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I am going out of mind mind trying to work out if something is biting me and what.

I travelled to Sri Lanka in Jan/Feb, got bitten horrendously while I was out there. It didn't seem like they were all regular mosquito bites.
    In the end, although I got paranoid about bed bugs out there, I concluded it was probably sandflies, as well as mosquitoes.

Since coming back, I have had bites/reactions that seem to be new, but also could be flare ups.
    For example one that I have right now is in the exact spot that I had one in Sri Lanka. But another seems new, although it may be that I didn't see it/realise at the time I suppose.

Anyway, I went through many possibilities as almost all the bites since being back home have been on parts of the body that are covered at night i.e. by pyjamas, and the place I have found them most has actually been my feet. I wear socks all the time, except for maybe 20 minutes a day when I'm showering and drying! So bed bugs didn't seem to make sense really, from what I read, it seemed unlikely bed bugs would go for covered places, and completely ignore easy to access uncovered bits (arms, neck, face).

I thought it might be fleas and got a spray and used that a few times. Each time I used it I found carpet beetles on the walls somewhat away from where I had sprayed the spray.

So then I thought the 'bites' were a reaction to carpet beetle hairs. I have read about this happening and looking like bites. This seemed to make more sense as maybe these hairs were lodged in my socks perhaps.

I have also looked everywhere all round my bed and haven't found any bed bugs. I also bought a mattress encasing and put that on last week, despite not finding anything on the mattress visibly.

Sometimes the bumps itch, sometimes they don't. And usually now, if they itch they only itch for an hour or so and then calm down. Have no idea what that means.
    The last few I have had have almost totally disappeared within a day or so.
    I also only have singular bites. No rows, no clusters.
    Around my knee I have had a total of 3 bumps since being back home, but they were all at separate times. On one foot, again 3, but separately.

I have today found one bite on my hand - the first one in an exposed place. But it's in such a place that if it was a bed bug, i'm pretty sure it would actually have had to crawl onto the hand to bite there, i.e. it not on a place that would naturally lie in line with the mattress. Although could have been accessed by crawling along the duvet perhaps I suppose.

However my main new worry, is that I have now found what I think possibly could be faecal spots/smears on my bedsheet. And in trying to work out if it was pen (as I did drop a biro, tip down, on the bed a month or so ago!) I also found another one on my other sheet in a similar position (probably, depending which way round I had the other sheet) - under the pillows.

So now I'm very worried that maybe it is bed bugs after all.

I feel like I'm going absolutely insane. I was in tears today stressing out about it. I don;t even know why. And now here I am at 3:30am, finally writing a post after days of reading so many posts on here. Everyone here seems so nice and helpful and supportive. I really hope someone might be able to recognise some of this or offer me some advice?

Should I just get pest control in? What is the best method if I do - some seem to be sprays, and some heat treatment... Also, I have read about 'bed bug blue' faecal spot detection. Does anyone know if this reliable? Should I get the kit before getting a pest control assessment? These spots are the only possible evidence I have found so far, apart from the bites.

Or does it all sound like it's something else? A reoccurance of the sandfly bites? Or whatever those bites were back then? Sensitivity to carpet beetles? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

2. crossroads

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 22:37:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, sorry to hear about your worries. If you post a photo of the suspected fecal spots, the experts on here may be able to advise. See other similar posts for how to go about this.

3. helpmeintheuk

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 13:56:52
    #

Login to Send PM

4. crossroads

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 14:25:34
    #

Login to Send PM

No, you haven't yet. Use imgur.com.

See this post for an example : http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/fecal-id-57

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 23:06:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I corrected your link but it still doesn't work. It is possible to share a photo from dropbox but you need to check your settings. Note that if you get a new link, paste the URL in here and it will link automatically.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,582 posts in 43,275 topics over 130 months by 18,981 of 19,559 members. Latest: Ehe22, Koonspg4s, slynnp1