Is it bed bugs?! [a: bed bug or close relative; not eggs]

(8 posts)
  1. Tiredteacher13

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 21:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a preschool teacher at an elementary school in an impoverished neighborhood where this often have severe problems with love and bedbugs among other things I'm sure. So anytime I see anything that resembles a bite I start to freak. So this last Wednesday I went to work and about halfway through the day noticed that I had a few bumps in my hotline behind my ear on my neck. I went straight to our school nurse to have them looked at and since there were no others and they did not itch at all she said not to worry about it and I went on with me day thinking that it was acne or dry skin related. The next day I had one or two more very small bumps on my neck and two or three on my stomach. I again contributed these to dry skin. Then, between Friday to Saturday I ended up with probably more than 60 bumps all over my back and sides, still none of them itched. I had already been checking my mattress regularly as I know what to look for from past experience working at a hotel and I never found any evidence of BB. After the large amount of bites I pulled apart my room and did end up finding one dead bed bug in a gift bag that I had brought home from the school a month before. Later in my dear I found some eggs that do look like rice bite were much larger than the adult bed bug itself. I immediately called an exterminater who came to the house on Tuesday to look and then treat for bugs. They agree that the dead bug I found is in fact a bed bug and when they took a quick glance at the eggs said they were too bed big related. But, when thwy chexked the mattress they found absolutely NO evidence of bed bugs, eggs, or stains. They even opened up the boxapring and still nothing. They searched the room and house and no other bed bugs were found. They treated the room and parts of the house anyways and will be back in a week to spray again. I don't know what to think as some of the aspects of my case don't really match what I have been reading. With the eggs being so big could they be from another bug? Is there always evidence of the bugs on the mattress especially with me having so many bumps (bites?). Is there a way to know if my bumps are bites from bbs or possibly somethibg else? Any thoughts or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

2. barelyliving

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 21:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

If the "eggs" were bigger than the adult bed bug, they aren't bed bug eggs. Maybe you're getting bitten at school? Tough case, I don't think they should have treated without evidence so I would also question the ID of the bug in the bag. Can you post pictures here?

3. Tiredteacher13

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 21:28:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I just signed up for the site.. how Do you post pictures?

4. Tiredteacher13

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 21:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

5. Tiredteacher13

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 21:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I think i figured it out it's hard to tell the size of the eggs in the picture.. Is the 1mm they say they are in length or width?

6. Tiredteacher13

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 22:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

7. barelyliving

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 7:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

To be clear, I'm not an expert, but that definitely looks like a bed bug. The eggs I can't comment on. Maybe you should post the bug and eggs in a different thread and an expert will weigh in. I just know that bed bug eggs aren't typically longer than an adult bug, like you mentioned. Maybe you could put something in the egg picture for size comparison like a dime or something.

Unfortunately bites are not something that can tell you if you have the bugs or not. They can give you a reason to look for confirming evidence, but they aren't evidence themselves because many things can cause them. I can see why you would be worried with it happening when you find the bug and the questionable eggs. Have you been checking your sheets for blackish fecal marks?

If you end up finding confirming evidence then you should post it here for the experts to evaluate. And if you do end up needing treatment, the guys treating you should be using more than just a spray. They should steam, spray and dust, ideally, but at least something more than just spray. If they do use dust ask them about Cimexa because it's very effective and pretty safe. If they wouldn't use it themselves, with their permission you can use it with a paintbrush after their spray dries (follow the directions, but not the one about adding water to it, makes it less effective). But you really should figure out if you have them at your home for sure, first.

You will just need to take small steps forward. In the future hopefully you can work on not bringing too many things between work and home. Keeping a plastic bin with smooth high sides at work and keeping any necessary stuff from home in that would probably be helpful.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 9:24:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They are not bed bug eggs. Please see the image below:

eggsmicroscopestacker by David Cain, on Flickr

The shape of what you have is wrong for bed bugs which are highly conserved in physiology.

While the sample is a bed bug or close relative it may just be the one if the only other signs you have found are the egg shaped items.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,537 posts in 40,563 topics over 124 months by 17,751 of 18,112 members. Latest: gabbyr, waterhead, Brokegradstudent