Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is it a bed bug? Scaled picture included.

(7 posts)
  1. cmslookingforbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 3:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have giant welts all over my arm, also had a huge one on my leg the other day, was totally sure they were spider bites since they swelled up so big. Realized I have been waking up with them, stripped my bed and found this guy in a pillowcase. Sorry that this picture looks like it was taken with a potato. It looks to be a segmented bug with a thicker back end than front, which is oval-ish, dark, and somewhat bigger than the front end of the bug, to which all the legs are attached. The front end is also relatively transparent when held up to light. Basically, as it looks in the picture, although I think the front-end of the bug in the picture looks a little bigger than in real life because there's no resolution on the mangled legs. It looks like the bug has two little pinchers on its front segment, kind of like an ant. I suppose it is possible that these are/were antennae; it's very small. The bug's legs are pretty mangled at this point so it's hard to describe that.

image at http://imgur.com/NCVsOF0

Can you help me?

2. cmslookingforbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 5:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I found what looks to be a carpet beetle larvae nearby in the floorboards.

The pictured bug was inside a pillow though and does not look like a beetle to me, I don't know.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 6:14:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sample is 100% not bedbug, not clear enough to say what it is though.

Please read up on carpet beetles which could be the source of your issues.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 6:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bug, but a spider that's missing a few appendages. Looks like an oonopid spider. It's not the cause of your bites, but I would go with the dermestid larvae shed skins or something else.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. cmslookingforbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 6:42:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh man, really?? that's amazing. How do you know it isn't a bed bug? It looks kind of like the larvae.

6. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 11:17:40
    #

Login to Send PM

David is an expert PCO. Loubugs is an entomologist. You can rest assured by their answers.

I am NOT an expert, and even I can tell it's not a bed bug. Body shape is all wrong.

7. cmslookingforbugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2014 12:05:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, guys!!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,753 posts in 45,865 topics over 139 months by 20,195 of 21,000 members. Latest: dmlee, curiousbug123, bbcurious