Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Insurance Claims?

(17 posts)
  1. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 17 2007 14:52:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Did anyone file an insurance claim if they got rid of all their stuff due to BBs? Did the insurance company give you grief? I got rid of everything and had no insurance, something I regret to this day. However, I did get renter's insurance recently for the new place, but as stupid as it sounds, I didn't ask if BB damage would be covered. I was afraid. It just sounds kind of odd to ask someone if BB damage would be included because how many people could be affected out of the population? As of now, not many. I didn't want to be denied coverage, especially since I got rid of everything, so I figured I'd be free and clear. My new place has practically no furniture right now since I don't know if there's any sort of infestation. And if there is, I sure don't want to throw out everything for a second time. I can barely get myself to buy wood at this point. Unfortunately, I couldn't find plastic dressers!

2. buggedbrooklyn

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 8:59:23
    #

Login to Send PM

My renter's insurance (Allstate) did not cover it - they do not cover any insect-related claims - whether renter's or homeowner's.

3. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 10:00:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I know for a fact that no insurance covers insects....They wouldn't touch bed bugs with a ten ft. pole....another telling fact about how horrible bed bugs are. I am still living with no furniture.... I certainly would not refurnish a multi family dwelling unit with this epidemic going on....I have purchased wire shelving and I keep plastic bins on the wire shelves..this is how I keep our clothes...Target and Home Depot have a lot of wire units....I live in a single family dweling, but since bed bugs I want to be able to see everything...I could not take something out of a wooden drawer and feel comfortable...I suppose this is PTS...but as for insurance...no way..no one...all of our losses are ..our losses... ps...you can get nice plastic molded chairs..and plastic tables..I have some plastic folding tables that I got from Home Depot....and I use them...a far cry from my imported French distressed wood, dining set with Rattan chairs.....that sit in a POD....all I can think of is those how much I loved my distressed wood furniture..but now I think that each little distress hole is a hiding place...and they LOVE rattan....my set was just two years old...the first new dining room set I ever owned in my life......I hate bed bugs....

4. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 10:00:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I know for a fact that no insurance covers insects....They wouldn't touch bed bugs with a ten ft. pole....another telling fact about how horrible bed bugs are. I am still living with no furniture.... I certainly would not refurnish a multi family dwelling unit with this epidemic going on....I have purchased wire shelving and I keep plastic bins on the wire shelves..this is how I keep our clothes...Target and Home Depot have a lot of wire units....I live in a single family dweling, but since bed bugs I want to be able to see everything...I could not take something out of a wooden drawer and feel comfortable...I suppose this is PTS...but as for insurance...no way..no one...all of our losses are ..our losses... ps...you can get nice plastic molded chairs..and plastic tables..I have some plastic folding tables that I got from Home Depot....and I use them...a far cry from my imported French distressed wood, dining set with Rattan chairs.....that sit in a POD....all I can think of is those how much I loved my distressed wood furniture..but now I think that each little distress hole is a hiding place...and they LOVE rattan....my set was just two years old...the first new dining room set I ever owned in my life......I hate bed bugs....

5. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 10:03:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bugalina,
    Did you read somewhere that no insurance company covers them? If so, where? I'm just curious. In a way I feel better knowing that even if I had the insurance, I wouldn't have been able to use it. Then again, it kind of makes you wonder that if you're paying for it, why CAN'T you use it if your stuff is technically ruined. I'll look around for wire units. I do have shelves, and they're plastic. No more wood shelves for me!

-Blow

6. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 10:29:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Well let's just say that I have a family member in the insurance biz...so I can say for a fact that you cannot get any insurance that would cover bed bugs.....It may be possible, maybe to see if can be claimed under a "disaster"..but I dont' know if anyone has challenged this....but as it stands now you couldn't get any insurance to cover loss from bed bugs..

7. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 10:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I bet it can be challenged.

8. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 13:25:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info, Bugalina.

9. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 19:31:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone found an exclusion in the insurance contract regarding bed bugs? If so how is it worded?

I seen people use some very creative loopholes with mold losses. Documenting bacteria instead of fungal growth for example.

Just curious? I can certainly understand why they do not want to cover bed bug losses. You might want to check with your state regulators for the insurance industry, if you don't want to ask the company directly.

Doug Summers MS

10. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 18 2007 19:36:13
    #

Login to Send PM

There are no exclusions .. I am directly related to someone in the insurance business...I know there was a serious problem with black mold in Texas that forced many insurance companies to stop writing business there...but as for bugs...unfortunately..no insurance...

11. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2007 4:15:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Just for the record Bugalina ... you deserve the right to see everyting in your home! metal and palstic is, well, not lovely--but it is safe tidy and the new furniture of the 21st century!

So your like really hip here!

When that feather stuffed furniture does come out ... I know you'll do something lovely with it like put it on beautiful area rugs, that have a bit of Deadly de dusted unter them to keep those furnishings free and clear. Anything that accidentlay ever might get back into them--will be like so contained on an "Island surrounded by a mote of DEADLY DE."

This bed bug dillemma has been going on for a long time for you and it has created a person full of "bed bug wisdom" which--is hard to match!

12. wantmyskinback

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2007 10:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Does Insurance cover Termites? Curious.

13. fastandbulbous

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 8 2008 20:25:12
    #

Login to Send PM

mine does not

14. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2008 8:41:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding - what's the acronym for original post, OP? - I think what Bugalina is saying is that it is an industry standard that insurance underwriters do not cover insect infestation. This is what my State Farm agent very nicely told me. I had homeowner's insurance and she said to me, interesting, someone with renter's insurance had the same question just a few months ago. When I told this to my bankruptcy lawyer, he said I should get an insurance lawyer. Funny how lawyers don't always take no for an answer. In the meantime, I also looked into claiming catastrophic loss on next year's tax return. My tax preparer wasn't sure if that would fly or not, but found me a lot of information on it.

15. buggedmama

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2008 10:41:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Leave the stove on, insurance covers that.
    JUST kidding, that's DANGEROUS.

But staging a break-in is less dangerous

(Editor's note: DO NOT do this.)

16. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2008 16:22:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Advocating illegal and dangerous actions even in jest is potentially dangerous for a blog.
    Insurance in general does not cover termites and all but a few will not cover the damage unless they were termite damage warranties which used to be available but I believe are all gone. A termite control job which can be a thousand dollars and up is not considered
    a capital improvement.

17. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 10 2008 4:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

All right, all right, I know I'm being totally wrong here, but I laughed out loud at buggedmama's "suggestion." Too bad we have to idiot-proof our comments, but I guess that's the reality.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,364 posts in 29,440 topics over 90 months by 12,705 of 19,968 members. Latest: BuggyNoMoreIHope, hinfungyik, abq671