(16 posts)
  1. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 16:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I was talking to a friend who is going to be staying in a hotel about checking the room for bed bugs. We came to the box spring and I don't know what to tell her. I have read about taking the dust cover on the box spring off when inspecting a bed. However, I told her I am sure you can't do that at a hotel. So, what do people do at a hotel to be sure the bed doesn't have bed bugs? Thanks.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 17:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Search the forum, this has been discussed many times.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. SS864

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 18:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I usually remove the dust cover if one is present and an encasement isn't surrounding the box springs. The maids don't check that thoroughly after each guest, so the only way the hotel will know the dust cover is off is if somebody reports getting bites, and if that is the case, the exterminator will likely be removing the dust cover anyway. If you find that the cover has already been removed, it can indicate that the room already had a problem reported and likely already received treatment. In the two hotel rooms that I found bedbug activity in though, the one that still had a dust cover on the box springs had enough signs of bed bugs around the perimeter of dust cover that I already knee what I was going to find under the cover. The room that had a box springs without a cover had been treated previously and cleaned up, so the only reason I looked closer and found dead bed bugs was due to the fecal staining on the wood beams.

4. SS864

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 18:14:22
    #

Login to Send PM

The owner of the motel in which I removed the dust cover and found bed bugs couldn't care less that I removed it. When you present a live bed bug to them they go into damage control mode since they know their reputation is on the line and the potential liability that goes along with a bed bug infestation.

5. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, BigDummy, I'll tell her.

6. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:12:04
    #

Login to Send PM

SS864 - 23 hours ago  » 
    I usually remove the dust cover if one is present and an encasement isn't surrounding the box springs. The maids don't check that thoroughly after each guest, so the only way the hotel will know the dust cover is off is if somebody reports getting bites, and if that is the case, the exterminator will likely be removing the dust cover anyway. If you find that the cover has already been removed, it can indicate that the room already had a problem reported and likely already received treatment. In the two hotel rooms that I found bedbug activity in though, the one that still had a dust cover on the box springs had enough signs of bed bugs around the perimeter of dust cover that I already knee what I was going to find under the cover. The room that had a box springs without a cover had been treated previously and cleaned up, so the only reason I looked closer and found dead bed bugs was due to the fecal staining on the wood beams.

Thanks SS864 so much for your post about your searches. I will tell her. A couple questions from me:
    1. If you knew before removing the dust cover on the one bed that there were signs of bed bugs, why did you bother to remove it?
    2. In the second case, where were the wood beams?

I hope she actually does the searches since most people I talk to don't bother or do a very superficial one.

7. Bedbugmom41

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

There is an awesome video on youtube by David Cain regarding hotel inspection.

8. SS864

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:32:56
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState, I found numerous fecal stains before removing the dust cover, but the cast skins and live bed bugs were under the cover. It was my first time finding live bed bugs and although I suspected the fecal stains were from bed bugs I wanted to dig further before going to the owner and requesting a new room. Finding and presenting live bugs kind of removes any argument the owner might try, lol.

9. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, SS864, that makes sense.

In the second case, where were the wood beams?

10. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:37:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 15 minutes ago  » 
    There is an awesome video on youtube by David Cain regarding hotel inspection.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I'll tell her. I hope she actually does the searches. I can't get my own sister, who stays in hotels all the time to do searches, so I know a lot of people don't bother.

11. SS864

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:40:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I received my current bed bug problem from Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City. I hadn't experienced bed bugs beforehand and therefore didn't know what to look for or how to prevent bringing them home with me. Given the number of bites my family received in our 2 night stay there was a decent sized infestation in the room, but of course the manager Chris Ballou denied finding any evidence of a problem after we had left. Once you leave the property it's common for the hotel to lie and deny finding a problem since they can be liable for the costs of any resulting infestation.

12. SS864

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:45:36
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 5 minutes ago  » 

The box spring frame is made of wood beams. If you fold back the cloth flap on the bottom of the box springs around the staples and the dust cover you should be able to find signs of bed bugs if they are present.

13. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 19:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

SS864 - 36 minutes ago  » 

The box spring frame is made of wood beams. If you fold back the cloth flap on the bottom of the box springs around the staples and the dust cover you should be able to find signs of bed bugs if they are present.

Thanks, you're really a good inspector. So I take it if that box spring had a dust cover on it you would not have seen evidence of bed bugs, or would you have seen it through the dust cover or would it have been on the dust cover?

14. SS864

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Jan 6 2018 10:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 14 hours ago  » 

SS864 - 36 minutes ago  » 

Thanks, you're really a good inspector. So I take it if that box spring had a dust cover on it you would not have seen evidence of bed bugs, or would you have seen it through the dust cover or would it have been on the dust cover?

There was some fecal spotting on the exposed wood that would have been visible even with the dust cover on. I've only found evidence of bed bugs twice at hotel/motels, but both times it appeared the bed bugs pooped immediately prior to ducking under the dust cover. I know David Cain's passive monitor is designed to make the bedbugs poop before entering so they can fit inside.... maybe the gap in between the staples was small enough that they needed to poop before passing through? I'm sure Big Dummy has inspected many box springs, he could probably confirm whether or not fecal spotting or cast skins are always present outside of the dust cover, provided it is intact.

15. thirdusername

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Jan 6 2018 21:23:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw the tv show undercover boss when the ceo of a hotel was a maid.
    I found it quite disturbing how focused they were on being as fast as possible.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  16. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Jan 6 2018 21:52:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, SS864 for explaining that. You do a better inspection than any of the PCOs I've talked to in Chicago. They told me they don't remove the dust cover when they inspect and that they don't take apart the bed frame - that's even for inspections that you pay for.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,894 posts in 45,390 topics over 138 months by 19,945 of 20,704 members. Latest: davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com, Chivabug