Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Insects That Look like Adult Bed Bugs....

(6 posts)
  1. LosFelizBuggedOut

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 16:47:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi -- sorry I'm freaking out a bit... but question:

A guy at Western Exterminator (a "technician") said that of the 3 samples I gave him, one might be a bed bug -- but he was not sure and sent it off to an entomolgist there to confirm.

My question is -- is there anything else that looks like an adult bed bug? Sorry I won't find out for 2 days or so... so any kind of help / info would be helpful to calm my nerves!!

Sigh, sadly the bug is brown, oval, flat, 3/16" long... but there were some other things to suggest I had flea bites (this specimen did not obvi look like a Flea, just was hoping the thing wasn't a bed bug at all)... many thanks in advance

2. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 17:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

To be fair, I can't believe you could give a professional an adult bed bug and they wouldn't be able to determine if it was or wasn't one.

Next time take a photo for us.

3. LosFelizBuggedOut

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 18:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hm - yeah... thanks for the reply sigh -- I was just freaking out I'm probably screwed

Through various googling, I can't see any other insect that really looks that similar to an adult bed bug -- the one I found was dead in my bedroom trash (just still) probably cause I steri-fab'ed the hell out of my bedroom. It was 3/16" long, brown, oval, sorta smushed looking.

the "technician" at Western Exterminator wasn't 100% (didn't talk to him but I was told he thinks it is a bed bug) -- anyway it's going to the entomologist for 100% confirmation.

4. belle72

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 9:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I show my specimens (castings) to a tech and he was not sure until he brought them back to their office and had them ID'd. I think in the south where we are, in a smaller city (100,000) BBs are not seen as the great blight by PCOs as they are perhaps in NY or Chicago. Termite control is king here, it's their bread and butter and the thing they most want to address. Especially in a single family (detached) home, they are just not as up to speed.

5. Mama T

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2008 22:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

When I first suspected I had BB's I caught small bugs that turned out to be very young German cockroaches. I didn’t figure out they were not BB's until I caught some that were way to big to be bb's. Sending me back to the Internet in search of what I had. Go to http://www.prevailpest.com/Cockroaches.html. This site has good images of the life stages of various cockroaches. Unfortunately my suspicion of having BB's was eventually confirmed when I finally found one of the little s*%# heads on my couch.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 27 2008 0:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Mama T is correct.

Roach nymphs can resemble bed bugs, particularly if the sample is partial or crushed.

Bat bugs and related species look very similar to bed bugs.

Hopefully your tech is just being cautious sending your samples to the company's expert confirm his ID. I would expect that he would be trained to recognize an adult bed bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.