Insecticide Expiration Date?

(4 posts)
  1. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 4 2012 18:53:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have three quick questions that I'm hoping someone on this forum can help answer.

1) I bought Demand CS in August 2011. I never opened it. I am wondering if I should toss it and buy more or if it is still potent. Only information I can find on the label is a Lot number and then "Rel 01/11" which I assume means it was released in Jan 2011 which would make it a year old which worries me that it might not be as potent anymore as it was when purchased.

2) I used Phantom in past with excellent results. I know bed bugs can not detect Phantom so they walk over it and are not "repelled" by it. Demand CS on many sites is called a "repellent" I DO NOT want to repel the bed bugs to other areas they might not be in so is that what Demand CS does?

3) Last question. Once a concentrate is mixed can the leftover be used months later or would it expire quicker than concentrate which has not yet been mixed?

Basically just want to know expiration information for most insecticides. And also if Demand CS is something bed bugs might avoid.

Thank you in advance to whoever takes the time to help answer my question. I did a google search but most people ask and answer questions about residual expiration time. I am asking about the actual mixed and unmixed insecticides expiration before being sprayed on any surface.

2. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 5 2012 17:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Since no one answered I'm going to post the information I got today from a local pest control center in case anyone else every stumbles on this and has the same questions I had.

Once a chemical is mixed with water then it expires very quickly (about a week) but the unmixed concentrate has a much longer life. The guy told me at least 3 years.

Also Demand CS actually is a repellent (according to the person I spoke to) which means I wasted $60 since I want the bed bugs to cross the poison and die not look for areas without the poison to hang out! So about to order more Phantom.

3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 7 2012 12:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

When concentrates are mixed to form a finished solution they remain stable for a limited period of time.
    From a few hours to a few days. It varies by product and other limited factors like temperature, PH etc.
    The best practice is to mix only what you need to use at that time.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 8 2012 1:12:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear note to self,

I fear you may have received some misinformation. Sorry for the lengthy post here !

Demand CS is a capsulated suspension. The formulation is based upon an excellent capsulation process that produces spherical capsules. The capsules in DCS range in size from one to twenty microns. These capsules are also lipophillic which means they adhere to the insect's integument (i.e. skin, if you will) upon contact which is an excellent feature/quality to produce the desired effect - pest mortality.

DCS contains the active ingredient llambda-cyhalothrin which is what we call a 4th generation synthetic pyrethroid insecticide. The AI is completely enveloped within the capsules and there is no "free active" within the formulation. The capsules are made of a proprietary polymer material.

Contrary to "popular belief" the capsules do not burst or rupture to release the AI. Rather the AI migrates through the capsule wall to deliver a lethal dose of insecticide to the pest upon which the capsule rests.

Note that when the formulation is correctly mixed and applied, there will be numerous capsules per suqare inch of treated surface. And, if my recolection is accurate, at the high labelled rate this may be as many as ten thousand or more per square inch.

Repellency, hmmm. Here is where you received some mis-information. While we may consider llambda to be a repellent, insect repellency has gotten a lot of "ink" these days without actual comparable trial data to support many of these claims. Note that within the industry repellency was an issue with termites and termiticide treated soil. In lab trials conducted under controlled conditions with many formulations we have observed that bed bugs will readily crawl over dried treated surfaces, even those treated with what are known to be "repellents". In addition to this, as the AI is enveloped within the polymer capsule, there is no concern in this regard.

Under resonable storage conditions "shelf life" for most pesticide formulations is not an issue. Reasonable conditions means no extremes as to temperature and other adverse environmental conditions. In other words, we don't want to subject pesticide formulations to freezing conditions or extreme heat. The DCS formulation, and other suspension type formulations as well, may "settle out" over extended periods of storage time. This will present as the formulation appears to have seperated. However, this is quickly averted or reversed by adequate agitation or shaking of the container.

As a previous post correctly points out, the mixed solution of pesticide may have a limited viable life within the spray tank. This is so for several reasons but this post is getting long enough and we don't have time to discuss the chemistry and what happens with various formulations. As such, it is wise to mix what you need and use what you mix.

The DCS was NOT a waste of money. In fact, DCS is a good choice for bed bug control as well as many other pests. If you store the DCS container properly, even if you don't use it for a long time, my expectation is that it will remain an efficacious product for you for a number of years to come.

How is it that I seem to know about Demand CS (you may be wondering)? Because years ago in my career I was a technical coordinator for Zeneca when we tested, developed and launch Demand CS to the pest management professional market. And, while there may be some people who know more about Demand than I, there's not very many of them.

By the way, a few years back Zeneca became part of another basic global manufacturing company called Syngenta which was the result of a merger of Zeneca and Novartis.

Please advise f you have any additional questions or concerns and I'll do my best to answer.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,774 posts in 31,267 topics over 95 months by 13,526 of 14,301 members. Latest: LadyLosingIt14, MelissaTT, scaredofbedbugs520