In my bed in day time/no exterminators [a: late instar nymph tropical bed bug]

(17 posts)
  1. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 6:37:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. I'm new here! This morning, I was hanging out in bed and felt something crawling on me. I live in a tropical country so this isn't unheard off. I picked it off, and I'm pretty positive it is an adult bed bug (picture included at the end). I killed it and it splattered blood everywhere. I have a few questions:

1. Based on the photo is this a bed bug?

2. I live on an island where there are no exterminators, no washing machines, no vacuums, and I do not own a blow dryer. Closest thing to heat I have is an iron. They sell over the counter bed bug solutions that I'm pretty sure are illegal in other parts of the world. I'm going to pick one up right now. How can I tackle this issue DIY with such limited resources? In my last house, I tried to buy dimethicus Earth but it doesn't seem to be available here either. I'm thinking intercepters on the frame legs, but what else?????

3. Before today, I found no bites and no signs of bed bugs in my room (I checked when I moved in). I went on vacation for a bit but I've been sleeping in my bed for around a week now - why did the bug decide to come out during the day, on my bed, where I sleep every night? Is it possible that it might be a stray?

ETA: 4. I believe I have been bitten by bed bugs in the past (6 months ago, different home/country, and I did in fact react and get the rows-of-three bites, which is why I'm wondering why I haven't seen signs)

Image:

2. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 7:47:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Boosting this post!

3. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 12:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but this does look like a bedbug to me... Wait for an expert though. Good luck

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 17:38:41
    #

Login to Send PM

tripturnedintoanightmare - 4 hours ago  » 
    I'm not an expert but this does look like a bedbug to me... Wait for an expert though. Good luck

It's not an adult bed bug, but a late instar nymph. I don't think it's the common bed bug (Cimex lectularius), but the tropical bed bug (Cimex hemipterus).

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 20:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but in the absence of professionals to treat, you might see how many you can find and remove manually. The local pesticides may actually be more powerful than On my what’s available elsewhere, so be cautious and read labels (also Google products before use).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. thirdusername

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 21:27:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I would ask around to see what other people do to treat them.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  7. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 22:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

tripturnedintoanightmare - 4 hours ago  » 

It's not an adult bed bug, but a late instar nymph. I don't think it's the common bed bug (Cimex lectularius), but the tropical bed bug (Cimex hemipterus).

Thank you so much for your insight. No experts here, unfortunately. As far as my googles tell me, it seems that treatment for both should be the same. Is there aaaanyything I should do differently?

8. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 22:32:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago  » 
    I am not an expert but in the absence of professionals to treat, you might see how many you can find and remove manually. The local pesticides may actually be more powerful than On my what’s available elsewhere, so be cautious and read labels (also Google products before use).

Thank you so much for this. Thank youuu.

I looked everywhere but I can't find the source of the infestation. The only remotely fecal stain looking thing I could find is on a really old pillow, in one specific spot, in a fairly significant cluster, but nothing in the surrounding areas. Grrrrrlksdfklsjdflksjdf, lol.

The treatment I ended up having access to is propoxur. I've read that it's super dangerous but I'm not sure that I used it in the way that I should - I sprayed all of the furniture in my house and a few other cracks and crevices that I could find.

I have NO IDEA what to do with my clothes since there is nowhere to expose them to extreme temperatures and any and all plastic bags have recently been banned. Would hanging them out in the sun in approximately 25-30 degree celsius (77-86 degree fahrenheit) temperatures all day work? ironing them?

9. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 22:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago  » 

Thank you so much for this. I'll definitely continue looking for where they might have come from.

I looked around and couldn't find the source. The treatment I was given is propoxur - I sprayed it on cracks and crevices and crannies all over my house! Stumped at what to do with the clothes since there are no dryers or hair dryers and plastic bags have been banned here. Considering hanging them outside in 77-86 degree fahrenheit (25-30 celsius) weather all day but I'm not sure if that would be in vain!

10. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 22:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

tripturnedintoanightmare - 9 hours ago  » 

Hi, thank you! There are no experts here.

11. Megand088

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 23:42:18
    #

Login to Send PM

typically it is recommended 113 F to kill any phase of the bed bug for at least 20 minutes.. I don't think below that temperature you can kill them... I've recently thinking that a possibly way to get rid of them naturally would be introducing reptiles (frogs, i.e) to one's place. They feed of insects. I'm sure there are plenty of reptiles at your place.

12. F. Pazos

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 14 2018 23:55:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    Propoxur can kill bed bugs, but in trials that we did is not effective enough to accept the risk while self treating.
    My best bet for you would be to try to find a good product for bed bugs online that can be shipped to your location.

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  13. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 0:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

F. Pazos - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Hi
    Propoxur can kill bed bugs, but in trials that we did is not effective enough to accept the risk while self treating.
    My best bet for you would be to try to find a good product for bed bugs online that can be shipped to your location.

Goodness. Shipping here from international is nearly impossible. I'm super anxious now.

14. Bugsinlamu

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 0:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Megand088 - 56 minutes ago  » 
    typically it is recommended 113 F to kill any phase of the bed bug for at least 20 minutes.. I don't think below that temperature you can kill them... I've recently thinking that a possibly way to get rid of them naturally would be introducing reptiles (frogs, i.e) to one's place. They feed of insects. I'm sure there are plenty of reptiles at your place.

There are, the only problem being that I live in an apartment and I wouldn't be able to keep reptiles. I just wish I could fine out where they're hiding and take care of it.

15. Megand088

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 2:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the US and the exterminator has been here like 4 times now and he cannot get rid of them. I found two chemicals that you should try ordering online. that I started using this week and haven't see any since then or had but dead or in traps ( sticky sheets) . Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Killer... it guarantees it kills bbs in 48 hours. Microscopically the dust look like little broken glasses... And the other chemical is cimexa... Try also putting pans of waters in each of the legs of your bed frame so they cannot crawl. for protection use vick vaporub ointment... I read online that several people got rid of them using vick vaporub, rubbing it everywhere you're suspicious they are living

16. Megand088

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 2:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the US and the exterminator has been here like 4 times now and he cannot get rid of them. I found two chemicals that you should try ordering online. that I started using this week and haven't see any since then or had but dead or in traps ( sticky sheets) . Diatomaceous Earth Bed Bug Killer... it guarantees it kills bbs in 48 hours. Microscopically the dust look like little broken glasses... And the other chemical is cimexa... Try also putting pans of waters in each of the legs of your bed frame so they cannot crawl. for protection use vick vaporub ointment... I read online that several people got rid of them using vick vaporub, rubbing it everywhere you're suspicious they are living

17. Megand088

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 2:41:59
    #

Login to Send PM

oh... something I'm sure you can find wherever you are is 91% isopropyl Alcohol. it kills them. I tried it with one and it worked. l have my spray in my night table to spray the heck out of the bbs if I see them... Very important too... make sure you don't have any mold at your place because it attracts bugs! I know in islands mold can easily grow

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,586 posts in 44,061 topics over 134 months by 19,297 of 19,927 members. Latest: sobernoodles, ridmybedbugs, Napier99