(16 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 8 2015 19:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Important message:

The forums will be migrated in the near future to new software. The reason, as many of you know, is this software is no longer supported in a technical sense, and I want to get onto another system where we will have support if things go wrong.

For the most part, we will take with us current content including our discussions which already exist. However, the private message function is based on a plugin, as many of you know is a bit quirky (and provided as-is) and as such, we will be starting fresh. Existing PMs will not be migrated.

If you have private messages, please back them up any that you want to save. One easy way to do this is to open your text editor or word processor of choice, start a new document, open the PM you want to save, copy and paste. If you paste PMs you want to save to one document, you should end up with a text searchable document.

In most cases, PMs probably aren't worth saving, but this should help in those cases where they are (e.g. you are the lucky recipient of a PM from Big Dummy).

I wanted to alert you to this well in advance of the change -- especially since some of our users don't log in very often. My apologies for any inconvenience and please feel free to ask questions below.

Update 8/15:

The move to new software isn't imminent. (We upgraded the current system and moved to a -- hopefully -- more reliable host, so we will be on this software a bit longer.)

However, it may happen in a month or more with fairly short notice, so you should be aware PMs may disappear in the near future and backing them up offline is not a bad idea if you want to retain them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 8 2015 19:51:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going to leave this in regular "latest discussions" mode for a day or two so everyone currently active will see it, and then paste it to the top of the stickies.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 23:07:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Everybody good with this?

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 23:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, other than the fact that I never received a PM from BD...yep....

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2015 1:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had one response off-thread asking how long you've got to do the backups. That's a question I can't answer right now. You have at least a week from
    now and possibly several weeks, but I can't say for sure. However, once we get the go ahead to migrate the software, we may move quickly.

I will keep you posted.

6. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2015 9:13:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Good riddance to rubbish.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2015 13:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 4 hours ago  » 
    Good riddance to rubbish.

There's a lot to be said for a fresh start!

8. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2015 14:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

More rare then a PM from BD is one from WOB & words of wisdom!..

9. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2015 14:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW ..That was a compliment to you WOB..

10. battlinbugz

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 11 2015 19:22:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to see the upgrade happen. Go, NoBugs!

Not a pro. I have some knowledge and a success story, both thanks to this site.
  11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 12 2015 12:12:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, battlingbugz!

The primary reason for the change is to move away from no-longer-supported software, but I hope that once we're settled in, it will be a nice upgrade for all.

12. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 17 2015 19:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme -  » 
    I have had one response off-thread asking how long you've got to do the backups. That's a question I can't answer right now. You have at least a week from now and possibly several weeks, but I can't say for sure.

It's been a week and I'm still not done! . . . any update on how much time we have left?

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 17 2015 23:38:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Safe to say at least another week.

14. Liljenn81270

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 6 2015 14:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello.I'm so upset about this situation.I have had two bedbug problems on my apartment floor and now I have it.The other two were treated mine has been given a " Courtesy " treatment as my Landlord put it.I've bought encase men's for box spring and matress.I've bought several sprays and powders.My room looks like a snowstorm with all the bed bug powder. I only saw,ONE I killed full of blood.Exterminator said it wasn't bad but the bites have been so bad I lost my job over it.I wasn't bitten for a,week but today I woke up to 3 bites on my neck area which is freaking me out.What can I do if I've done all the research living out of trash bags etc..I'm so scared to sleep at night
    any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 6 2015 19:06:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Liljenn81270 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hello.I'm so upset about this situation.I have had two bedbug problems on my apartment floor and now I have it.

Hi Liljenn81270,

Please start a new thread (discussion) and copy and paste your message there.

If you do not know how to start a new thread, there are instructions in this post (FAQs about the Forums/How to use the Forums).

Then scroll down to where it says "How do I post a message? How do I start a new discussion thread?" and follow the link.

Once you do this, I am sure you will get some helpful feedback.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 10 2015 15:57:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Update 8/15:

The move to new software isn't imminent. (We upgraded the current system and moved to a -- hopefully -- more reliable host, so we will be on this software a bit longer.)

However, it may happen in a month or more with fairly short notice, so you should be aware PMs may disappear in the near future and backing them up offline is not a bad idea if you want to retain them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,719 posts in 42,630 topics over 128 months by 18,711 of 19,242 members. Latest: Brightly79, InaneVelocity, ElisaR