I'm moving and don't want to bring the bed bugs with me

(6 posts)
  1. eradicateBB

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2010 18:41:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe that I have bed bugs in my apartment. I have not seen any or any signs (blood, feces etc.). I have been averaging about 3 bites a night for the past week. I am moving into a new apartment in two days and do not want to bring the bed bugs with me. I cannot afford to throw out all of my things (bed/couch/clothes). I already sealed my mattress and box spring in vinyl.

What can I do to make sure these things don't follow me to my next apartment?

2. D. Hastie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2010 19:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

vinyl encasements are not as reliable as some of your other options, try protectabed encasements. Your best bet is to have a proffesional treatment before you move.

3. Beth

account closed

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2010 19:52:08
    #

Login to Send PM

don't do it. I did. they followed even though I threw out my bed and sofas. make sure they are gone before you move or do as I have been forced to for my own sanity: move with nothing.

amy

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2010 19:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are moving in two days, you don't have much time. Not only will you still be infested with bedbugs if and when you take them with you to your new apartment, you will also spread bedbugs to your new building and new neighbors. You might want to see if you can get a bedbug sniffing dog to come inspect your current place. If a piece of furniture is identified as having bedbugs, you should either throw it out or store it at this point since there isn't time to treat and treat again and then wait 60 days to make sure the bedbugs are gone. You should also have the bedbug dog inspect your new apartment. Maybe another tenant in your new building has already done exactly what you are going to do--moved into the building when they still had bedbugs and weren't sure they were gone. As they say "what goes around, comes around." So true about bedbugs!

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 25 2010 22:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome. Sorry. This sucks big time, but is not impossible. How much stuff do you have and how much do you care about it?

Please study the resources quickly (and search on "moving") on how each of your items can be dealt with. Example:
    - Clothes go (in the washer if dirty and) in the dryer.
    - Non-washables (books, etc) go in a pack-tite device or bagged SECURELY for a few weeks with DDVP strips or mothballs (or go to long-term storage wrapped securely).

Furniture is tricky. Ask for additional advice.

If you have a lot of stuff and it's worth $$$s, some cities have services where they will heat your truck or fumigate it with Vikane gas before bringing it to your new place.

And in any case, be vigilant to infestation at your new place (which, BTW, you have little way of knowing if it's not already infested through no fault of yours). And if that happens, don't panic, just be ready to get treated.

Take a breath, have a cup of coffee, grab a notepad and start strategizing.

Best of luck.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. Entomophobe

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 13:04:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in a similar situation - hopefully moving soon. How do you find a reputable bed bug dog?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,776 posts in 29,328 topics over 90 months by 12,645 of 19,898 members. Latest: waitingforbyebugs, TroublesBehind, mightywarrior