(13 posts)
  1. sleepyjuju

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 19:45:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I'm a landlord, and my property is a multifamily house (3 floors) in Massachusetts.

My 2nd-floor tenants had bed bug issues in the summer of 2016. We hired a pest control company to use chemicals to get rid of it, and it had been fine.

Then in the summer of 2017, my 1st-floor and 3rd-floor tenants had bed bug issues. They visited each other, so I wasn't surprised they had problems together. We hired another pest control company, and they used chemical treatments.

Everything had been fine until the October of 2017. The 3rd-floor tenants found one bed bug and killed it. The 1st-floor tenants moved out in October for a different reason. I informed the bed bug company, and they said it's rare to have bed bugs come back after 3 months, and it must have been the tenants bring in new bed bugs. The company wanted us to monitor. If there's still more bed bug in the next few weeks, they would come back.

Everything had been fine till now (January of 2018). The 3rd-floor tenants just got several bites and killed one bed bug.

I have two questions:

Is it possible that the treatment didn't kill all the bed bugs and they come back a few months later? Did my tenants bring in new bed bugs?

What should I do as a landlord? Every treatment is over $1000, and I can't afford to have situations like this.

Thanks.

2. Bedbugmom41

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 20:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert.
    But I have one question :
    Does the company treat every floor each time?

3. bitethebullet

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Jan 4 2018 21:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you treating the apartments connected to the infested ones? If not, they can move between apartments/walls to escape the poison. From what I learned, you need to treat all apartments surrounding the one in question to ensure the above doesn’t happen.

We only treated our apartment (but it was with with heat—we knew we were the source and that no one else in the complex had them) and paid out of pocket.. We also caught it 3-4 weeks after getting home, so ours wasn’t very large. As of right now, it’s day 24 with no signs. The manager of our complex wouldn’t even return calls, so at least you’re being proactive.

Hopefully one of the boards PCOs can chime in, I’m not a professional either.

“I’ve got edge!”

“You’re about as edgy as a satsuma.”
  4. thirdusername

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 1:50:28
    #

Login to Send PM

As a tenant I can say it sucks to be a landlord.
    It sucks to be a tenant and not have control.
    BBs suck for everyone involved.
    I don't know how much treatment costs but I hope $1000 is for all 3 floors.
    A tenant could have brought them in but there are many ways they could get them.
    Unfortunately for landlords AFAIK they are still responsible for the treatment regardless of how they think the tenant got them.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 16:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepyjuju - 20 hours ago  » 

I have two questions:

Is it possible that the treatment didn't kill all the bed bugs and they come back a few months later? Did my tenants bring in new bed bugs?

What should I do as a landlord? Every treatment is over $1000, and I can't afford to have situations like this.

Thanks.

Depends on chemicals and treatment regime. Treat whole apartment or only room with bed bugs located? Instruction provided by PCO/PMP for tenants to follow? Did they examine the building, common areas (laundry, all floors, apts) or only treat the problem apartment? Behavior of tenants, friends (knowingly, unknowingly) have bed bugs, new introductions, visitors, etc. all play a part.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. sleepyjuju

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 17:20:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 20 hours ago  » 
    I am not an expert.

Hi Bedbugmom41, no, the company only treated the floor that had problems.

I spoke to the company this morning and they said they treat individual units all the time, and there's no need to treat the entire building. Is it true? Or should I insist to treat the whole building? It's an over 100-year-old house in Massachusetts.

7. Bedbugmom41

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepyjuju - 49 minutes ago  » 

I am not an expert.

I spoke to the company this morning and they said they treat individual units all the time, and there's no need to treat the entire building. Is it true? Or should I insist to treat the whole building? It's an over 100-year-old house in Massachusetts.

In my case, it was a 4 months infestation located only in 1 bedroom. The PCO treated the 2 bedrooms and living room regardless. He also did preventative treatments in the apartments above, below and on each side of mine (cross patern). We do not have any common areas. My infestation took only 2 treatments to resolve. But I followed protocol to a T. I am now 6 months bedbug free. But I am monitoring like crazy and take precautions not to bring them in. Still have no idea where they came from.
    In your case, either bedbugs flee to untreated units or someone keeps on bringing them in.

8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 18:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 23 minutes ago  » 

sleepyjuju - 49 minutes ago  » 

I am not an expert.

In my case, it was a 4 months infestation located only in 1 bedroom. The PCO treated the 2 bedrooms and living room regardless. He also did preventative treatments in the apartments above, below and on each side of mine (cross patern). We do not have any common areas. My infestation took only 2 treatments to resolve. But I followed protocol to a T. I am now 6 months bedbug free. But I am monitoring like crazy and take precautions not to bring them in. Still have no idea where they came from.
    In your case, either bedbugs flee to untreated units or someone keeps on bringing them in.

How do you know it was a 4 month infestation if you don't know how you brought them in?

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 20:39:17
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepyjuju - 3 hours ago  » 

I am not an expert.

They didn't examine the rest of the building apartments? Suggest monitors?

10. Bedbugmom41

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 21:09:45
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you know it was a 4 month infestation if you don't know how you brought them in?

The PCO told me Faye. Based on castings, the amount of fecal traces and multiple generations (the 3 samples I provided were different stages).

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jan 6 2018 9:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 12 hours ago  » 
    The PCO told me Faye. Based on castings, the amount of fecal traces and multiple generations (the 3 samples I provided were different stages).

You can have different life stages from one generation. Depending on number of bed bugs, you can have different number of shed skins and fecal traces, too. There's no way to say that the infestation only began with one bed bug.

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jan 6 2018 21:59:28
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 12 hours ago  » 

You can have different life stages from one generation. Depending on number of bed bugs, you can have different number of shed skins and fecal traces, too. There's no way to say that the infestation only began with one bed bug.

Bedbugmom41, thanks for your response.

Lou, then does that mean Bedbugmom41 may have had an infestation that was less than 4 months?

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jan 7 2018 10:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 12 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 12 hours ago  » 

Bedbugmom41, thanks for your response.
    Lou, then does that mean Bedbugmom41 may have had an infestation that was less than 4 months?

Sometimes the introduction is not one bug. You can have different life stages from one introduction. I said generation above. An introduction is not only one fecund female bed bug. It's possible that the bugs from one generation also are not synchronized in feeding so there can be different aged individuals from one generation present at the same time. If the new introductions are from adjoining apts then bed bugs could have been kept from feeding and could have been different life stages. And do the tenants know how they are re-introducing new bed bugs into the building?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

269,371 posts in 43,830 topics over 132 months by 19,193 of 19,806 members. Latest: cucucajube, Mitchell3845, BeasleyCMS