Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

If you were given the opportunity to design a bed bug resistant hotel room,.

(5 posts)
  1. CarKeys

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 31 2015 22:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

What would you include?

Not a bed bug proof hotel mind you, but one that would discourage bed bugs.

Your choice of budget unlimited or realistic.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 31 2015 23:13:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert. But I'd recommend:

• Comforters with removable covers washed for each visitor (European style duvets).
    • Simple platform bed design with no excessive bedding, dust ruffles, etc.
    • Simple 50s-style design when it comes to other furniture: sofas, tables, etc. This means sofas have simple, thin legs (not fabric flowing to floor) and other furniture stands on legs so you can clean underneath it. Everything is well designed and sealed so inspection and cleaning is easy.
    • Mirrors and artwork can be easily removed and checked.
    • Bed bug monitors are in use.
    • Staff are well-trained to recognize bed bugs and their signs, and look for them constantly while doing routine cleaning and maintenance tasks. Desk staff and managers have a bed bug plan to address any evidence or complaints immediately.
    • Monitors are checked weekly.
    • Routine inspections are also carried out by a trained professional.

Of these, the last four may be the most important.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Mar 31 2015 23:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Motel 6 made some of these changes, though not explicitly to discourage bed bugs (and in 2008):

http://bedbugger.com/2008/08/18/motel-6-room-design-changes-cooler-more-functional-less-bed-bug-friendly/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 0:53:16
    #

Login to Send PM

This is something that's being done in certain situations already. The primary theme is harborage reduction while also facilitating ease of subsequent inspection and service.

Keep those themes in mind and you're on the right track.

pjb

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2015 5:58:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi CarKeys,

I have actually worked with a few architects to design buildings that are less likley to get bedbug spread through positioning of conduits and utilities as much as room configuration.

One comment I will make which has been part of our on-going work since 2009 is that room configuration is actually less important than having a system in place to detect on a regular enough basis that nothing is allowed to develop tot he point where dispersal is more likley. In fact I would go as far as saying that is 99% of the issue and the room itself makes up about 1%. This is part based on data collection in multiple locations where the variable is clearly building design and room fitting as I have clients at the hostel end of the spectrum as well as 5 star hotels.

Its also a lot more cost effective to deal with it this way. I had one client who though it was all about design and it cost them £57,000 one year in part due to refurbishment of three floor and yet they still had bedbugs.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234