Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

If you only have "bed bug" bites, without other signs of infestation, read this!

(7 posts)
  1. solution557

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 19:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is my experience with "bed bug" bites, which drove me crazy until I found out what was causing those "bites"...

About 4 months ago itchy, red, swollen bumps started to appear on different parts of my body mainly during the night... But soon they started to appear during the day also. They were VERY itchy. Many people say that it is usual for bed bug bites to appear many hours or even days after they bite you, so It was logical that some bumps will show themselves during the day...

I searched my whole apartment (and especially the bedroom) many times, I searched every inch of my bedframe, mattress and other furniture, also walls, power outlets, but I could not find any trace of bed bug infestation / presence. I became so irritated with those stubborn, itchy "bites" that I kept little flashlight beside my bed, so that I could check bedsheets and mattress in the middle of the night, in order to catch some bug while it tries to find its meal. It was all in vain... But "bites" continued to appear.

I became more and more convinced that something else was causing those "bites" because of these facts:
    1. Red itchy bumps have never appeared on my hands, fingers, or feet, even when that were the only parts of my body (beside the head) not covered with clothes during the night. "Bites" frequently appeared on my arms, neck, shoulders, stomach, thigh, and sometimes on the lower part of my face. Surely the hungry bed bug would not skip uncovered hands or feet, in order to find much riskier spot deep beneath the clothes (where it could be crushed if I move during the sleep)?
    2. There was no "3 bites in a line" or similar pattern anywhere on my body.
    3. There were no any other signs that bed bugs are present in the apartment (no black spots, no cast skins, etc).

I considered many other explanations (fleas, mites, scabies, allergies, etc.) but there was no proof for any of them.

And then I started to "connect dots" and a new theory appeared: all those "bites" were maybe caused by one simple thing: STRESS. Several months ago I started to have unregular sleep during the week because of my job (sometimes I would work whole night, sometimes I would sleep only 4 or 5 hours a day, etc). That unregular sleep and sleep deprivation caused stress, which accumulated as the time went by. My body reacted with a form of hives (red itchy bumps), which I mistakenly took for "bed bug bites". The fear that I have bed bugs in my apartment caused additional stress for me, which in return caused more "bites" to appear.

So, to test this theory, I managed to return my sleep to a normal level, and all those "bed bug" bites vanished in a couple of days! Many weeks have passed, and not even one new "bite"
    has appeared since then.

I write about this to let you know about this possibility, if you have unexplained, mysterious itchy bumps or something else that looks like "bed bug bites" on your body. Stress can be caused by many things, not just by sleep deprivation, so consider this when you search for the main cause.

If you have any questions or want to hear about my experience in more detail, please let me know.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 19:51:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Am I crazy or have I read this story some time in the past?

3. solution557

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 20:07:25
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Am I crazy or have I read this story some time in the past?

Maybe there was a similar experience in the past, I don't know... But that would show that several people had this kind of story to tell, so anybody who has "bed bug bites" but can not find other signs of infestation, should definitely consider this possibility.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Mar 21 2017 13:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have known people have stress induced rashes along with all manner of other symptoms.

I think the big take home message from your case is that sometimes the cause of the skin reactions is internal. Although pest controllers are rarely the right people to work at a therapeutic level I have worked with more than a handful of therapists over the years and there appears to be more of an academic interest in the social and psychological impact of bed bugs on people.

Its a fascinatingly diverse spectrum of responses.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. xpaperxcutx

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 11 2017 23:59:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so happy to have come across your thread. I have been having symptoms similar to yours, itchy bumps on my hands and fingers, arms, legs, feet, back and embarrassingly to say, my butt. I have been getting them almost every night and the they occur even during the day.

I hope that it's mainly stress as you've wrote because I have spent alot of money washing my clothes and even buying mattress protectors for my bed and I was still getting bumps on my body even when I had clothes on.

6. Fai

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jun 12 2017 0:33:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully my story is similar to yours! Recently moved back home from an apartment that was found to have bedbugs. It wasn't a particularly bad infestation, worse so for my roommate I believe which they then migrated over to my room.

My biggest fear however was bringing them back home to my parents' house knowing that an infestation in a larger home could potentially cost thousands of dollars. I should mention I heavily reacted to those bites at the apartment, had about 12 large welts for bites in 4 different areas.

I took all the precautions I needed but I was still worried 1 or more might've found a way to hitchhike back with me. The first couple of nights back I had severe anxiety and was constantly looking for signs of them. I had developed a lot of itchiness around my scalp and ears but no bites. I would wake up in the middle of the night and find 1 or 2 single bites that disappeared within an hour or so. I would get around 4-5 hours of sleep per night but I bought passive bed bug monitors and nothing.

I do believe that my anxiety caused me to have those reactions and the general feeling of occasional itchiness throughout my body. I should also mention that those bites I had were not similar to the actual bed bug bites at all. Thanks for sharing your story! Made me feel a little better and a little less crazy.

7. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 0:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I may be experiencing something similar right now myself!

Thanks for posting - it's reassuring that this may be a possibility.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,484 posts in 42,162 topics over 127 months by 18,503 of 18,993 members. Latest: Searching4answer, amybooks, imbuggingout