Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

If not bed bugs what?

(8 posts)
  1. BBsonme

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 4:34:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up this morning with three mystery bites. They are large, the size of a mosquito bite, and very hard; one is on my left forearm, one on my right wrist and one on my right forearm. Ooops I should say four bites, I forgot about the one that is not itching above my right eye. Approximately one month ago I awoke with what I thought was a either a stye or bug bite above my left eyelid. Two months ago I had three bite marks on my chest, all very itchy, the size of a mosquito bite and very hard. All of my bites have been approximately 1.5 to 2 inches. I logged on to the computer after my boyfriend suggested they may be bed bug bites. I labored over the different sites for approximately four hours, gathered information concerning spider bites (I thought I felt one crawling on me about two months ago), bed bug bites and bed bugs in general. I have gleaned a lot of information concerning bed bugs at this point and appreciate all of the extensive work up that everyone is doing on this site.

The task of locating interloping bed bugs seems daunting but after my four hours of research I pulled my bedding apart. (I had to get the courage to face would be bugs first.) I pulled off my comforter, sheets and pillow cases and quickly tossed them aside, they are a very nice shade of Polo red so hunting any buggers on them seemed fruitless. I looked as careful as my eyes could after reading small text for four hours on a monitor for any signs of nymphs, inter thingies and adult bugs with no success. I then pulled off my mattress topper, looked in the crevices of my mattress, in the seams and between the pillow top and the rest of the mattress. No sitings. I lifted my mattress off my box spring as best I could and was unable to spy any critters.

I pulled out the Oreck and went to vacuuming the entire surface of the mattress, topper and box spring, area surrounding the bed, night stand next to bed and wall itself as I have no headboard.

From what I read on the site the bb's can feed every 5 to 10 days, might I have less hungry ones that are on a monthly feeding schedule?

I understand that all bites are different, but has anyone had bites similar to the ones I described? Hard, raised, 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and very itchy?

It is 4:22 am and I suppose it is getting close to feeding time, I know I am way past bed time but I feel like I might be missing something and the thought of feeding my uninvited guests is lending to a bit of insomnia. I am tossing the red sheets into the wash and opting for a color that may show activity. I certainly don't want to have them trailing me around the house if they are in my bed, I'd like to keep them contained as much as possible.

I should mention that I have had the same mattress for 10 years, and have lived in the same townhome for 20 years. The last time I had house guest (besides my boyfriend) was in October and the bites just started recently.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks for getting back to me.

2. sorsha

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 9:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no expert, but this doesn't *sound* like bed bugs to me, especially if you've found no evidence of them. When we started getting bites we'd just get a few all clustered around one spot (like, within an inch or less of each other), not a few scattered all over our bodies. (Each bug seems to like to take a few bites in the same area). Even when they were at their worst and I was noticing several new bites each day, neither of us ever had one bite us on our face. And if you had enough bugs to be getting four separate bites in one night, I wouldn't think it'd have taken a month since the last time you got bit for you to get bitten again.

Our bites were about a half an inch and diameter and not hard, just itchy. But everyone reacts differently to bug bites so it's hard to judge from that.

If you're worried it's probably worth bringing in a PCO for an inspection. I think you can also get a doctor to look at the bites and give you some idea what might have caused them. Do you store anything under your bed? Check there, too--we found that many of our bugs were hiding in a backpack we had stashed underneath our bed. Oh, and try laying out double-sided tape by the baseboards in your bedroom and see if you catch anything.

3. BBsonme

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 13:50:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorsha thanks for replying to me.

I finally went to bed at about 7:30 am, after using the steaaming both sides of the mattress topper, mattress and box spring, and vaccuuming the entire room, not just the bed and surrounding area.

After reading your post I pulled out my shoe boxes from their hiding place under the bed and nothing. There were a couple of pairs of cute shoes that I hadn't seen in a while and forgot about but no traces of unwanted guests.

I took your advice and called a PCO, actually two to set up free inspections. I figure if I have two professionals come scope out my nest they will surely find something, and if its spiders, they can treat for that too. I have one phobia -- BUGS. Just 24 hours into my battle or would be battle and I feel completely overwhelmed.

I did take a long hot shower after my bug hunting expedition, covered myself with a fine layer of vaseline just in case they decided they were not done feeding and lay in bed waiting for them to feast. No free meals on me last night (or should I say this morning?).

4. persona-non-bugga

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 14:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand that all bites are different, but has anyone had bites similar to the ones I described? Hard, raised, 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and very itchy?

My bites typically looked like this. Very itchy. No pinpoint wound. Just raised skin. Tenderness almost like a bruise when pressed.

5. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 17:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

BBsonme, I am sorry you are going thru this. I think most of us on here (if not all) have given up pretty sheets for plain ole white which shows EVERYTHING! I don't have anything new to add to what's been said except two things: if you are in a townhome, you have attached neighbors, right? Is it possible that they have bed bugs which are making their way into your home? Also, when you got the mattress off the box spring and checked the box spring, did you turn the box spring over, remove the mesh cover on the botton of the box spring and look in there? A flashlight helps to see into the corners. They often like to hide inside the box spring. Hopefully, you don't have bed bugs but if you do, you'll find a ton of helpful suggestions here and some really nice sympathetic people.

6. bait

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 4:35:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep looking. Concrete evidence can take awhile to find. Then again, some of us never find it, but something is biting us.

7. milly

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 16:08:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a similar problem. Bites but no evidence of insects. No poop on my bedsheets. The PCO says that I havent got BBs, and with no insects found on sticky traps set by him, what does a girl do? I too have tried the flashlight idea, but gave up, I also went for a couple of weeks with duck tape on my floor and around my bed effectively sealing me 'in'.Nothing stuck there. This has been ongoing for me for about six months, I think I am still sane. I am hopeful that it isnt BBs as surely in six months my bedroom would be swimming in the things. Is there anything else that can live in a mattress that can bite that isnt a bb?? My bites start really small, and do have a pinprick hole, then grow a bit, Mrs Paranoid here puts antisan and a plaster to stop the rubbing and hence further itching of bite. In sympathy!!!!

8. BBsonme

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 11 2009 6:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, here it is, July 11 and guess what. They were bed bug bites. I never hired the PCO. I scheduled two but then cancelled the appointments. I thought, this couldn't possibly be bed bugs. I continued to receive bites but usually every 10 to 12 days in one location. Last bite three weeks ago on my arm. The site swelled like a mosquito bite and was very itchy. With all the rain that we've had in the area and all of my yard work I thought it could very well have been a mosquito. That is until the swelling begn to subside and I noticed that the one big bite was in fact three very distinctive bites (or breakfast lunch and dinner).

As soon as I got home from work I looked on line for natural ways to kill these creatures and found a site and ordered my product. After placing my order I went to my local Kmart got a new bed-in-bag set, and mattress encasement. I went through all of my drawers and threw away clothes that hadn't been worn to minimize the things that would need to be laundered.

One week ago my product finally arrived. It was very heavily packed with tape and took forever to get into, when I did the container was busted on the bottom and a large amount of powder was in the box (my mail man probably thought I was getting a shipment of some really, really good stuff) but I digress.... I began my clean out, stripped my old bedding, pulled off the mattress, vaccuumed the box spring applied my product liberally (as instructed), encased mattress and pillow topper (not easy to do) put on new bedding and went to sleep with the knowledge I'd defeated the little critters. I began going to bed in my usually attire, not fully covered, no layer of vaseline protection just me and my pretty little pjs. Walking my dog yesterday I realized that I'd gone one week bite free and almost called my boyfriend to tell him about my good news.

CELEBRATION TOO SOON

As I sat on my bed last night preparing to read my newspaper I spotted a little black bug on the white shirt thrown on my bed. Instinctively I grabbed the shirt and crushed the creature with the shirt. Then it struct me, I need to examine this thing a bit more so I unfold my shirt with its fresh pin needle drop of blood and looked at the bug. It didn't look like the pictures, it was black and slender, longer than it was wide with little tiny feet. It looked like it could have been a mouse dropping save the litttle feet. I sat with my new (kill) on my computer desk while I looked for images. Then I turned the sucker over to inspect him from the top side and found that I hadnt killed him at all, he tried to limp away. I immedately grabbed my product and sprinkled him with it. He stopped moving instantly. I realized after the powder I should have taken a picture of him first but alas, it wsa too late. My product killed whatever the but was on contact but the label states it killed more than just bed bugs, since I could not find a photo that matched I thought it was maybe another bug. Got up from my computer, went into my bedroom and there it was. Sitting there on my new comforter like it owned the place. A red, adult bed bug. No question it looked exactly like the pictures. It was almost as if it was taunting me saying "you want to see a bed bug, I'll show you a bed bug."

Now what? I pulled the bedding back to search for more, none to be found, only on top of the bed. Pulled out my trusty bug killing powder, used the measurements presribed on the labeling for mopping and mopped my hardwood floors. I made a spray and sprayed the walls surrounding the bed and went to sleep.

I guess the first step is over. I've made positive ID. But with that comes many more questions.

Why were the bugs sitting on top of my bed? Is my problem worse than I suspected? Did I trap these two bugs outside of their habitat? Why me?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,912 posts in 29,753 topics over 91 months by 12,862 of 20,152 members. Latest: JEPA, paranoiditch, Bentham