Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

If It's Not Bed Bugs What Else Could It Be?

(8 posts)
  1. darkpixie08

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 20:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, we had an outbreak of bed bugs last year, found the bugs, had the exterminator come out, all was resolved. Now a year later, we think we have a reinfestation, but I can't find any bugs! We've had the exterminator come out twice now, once for the initial treatment, once for the follow-up (two weeks apart). After receiving another onslaught of bites, I had another company come in and do a K-9 inspection. The dog wasn't able to check the master bedroom that we had treated, not safe for the dog, but she checked the rest of the house, and we came up clean.

The exterminator gave us some of the plastic climb-up traps for the bed frame, so we'll try to catch the bugs this way, but in the meantime, I want to examine other alternative sources of the bites/rash, while we wait for a K-9 inspection of the master bedroom (we have to wait 30 days after the last chemical treatment).

Bat bugs are out, we don't have any sign of bats in the attic, exterminator checked for them, I don't think it's fleas, as most of the bites are on the upper portion of my torso, husband has only had a few, but they've been mostly on his torso as well, and our cat seems to be fine. I don't think it's likely to be an allergic reaction or psychosomatic, because both my husband and I have experienced the welt like bites, and it seems unlikely that we would both develop an allergic reaction to a product at the same time, or that we're both experiencing psychosomatic bites. It also doesn't look like the scabies bites I've seen posted on the internet.

From what I've read, Chigger bites seem to occur mostly outside, and we're not really outside people. Is it possible that we could have Chiggers in the house somewhere? Any other possibilities for bugs that I haven't thought of? What could I be missing?

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 20:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Some people have a skin reaction, plus creepy crawly itchiness from the pesticides.

Also, you might have carpet beetle larvae and the hairs could be causing you to have a skin reaction.

I don' t know about chiggers.

You might have some kind of mite.

Jeepers...could be a lot of different things.

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 20:44:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you have a positive ID of bed bugs a year ago? Who Id'ed them 1 year ago?

Am I understanding you that this time you can't find anything ?

4. darkpixie08

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 20:47:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, we had a positive ID a year ago. Saw the bugs, the blood spots and fecal matter. The bites this time feel/look the same, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something because I'm so paranoid about BBs.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 20:49:52
    #

Login to Send PM

mattress and box springs are encased?

6. darkpixie08

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 28 2010 21:18:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yes, in fact we replaced the encasements when we started getting the bites, as we realized there was a small hole in each of the two box spring encasements, so we bought new encasements both mattress and box spring just to be on the safe side.

7. bugnut

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 16:56:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Dark -

Sounds similar to my problem - had a light infestation last year - single family home - got rid of them and now bites since May. Treated 3x and no signs AT ALL! Found a cast skin and fecal that my husband is convinced were from last year (fecal was on a piece of wood from construction that we just brought into the house to prop up a bed to vacuum under)

This time only bites - no bugs, fecal or blood spots on the beds. Climb ups empty for over a month and beds have been isolated and encased since May.

Right now we have bites that are 95% sure are mosquito bites. I hope you are in the same boat!

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 29 2010 21:24:27
    #

Login to Send PM

darkpixie08 - 23 hours ago  » 
    Oh yes, in fact we replaced the encasements when we started getting the bites, as we realized there was a small hole in each of the two box spring encasements, so we bought new
    encasements both mattress and box spring just to be on the safe side.

Oh, I was going to say the old encasement could show evidence of a new problem. You have to also understand that without a pesticide application in all that time, you should theoretically find some kind of evidence on the mattress or box spring encasement. There are some more inspection details I could offer if you are outside of NY.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.