(6 posts)
  1. maxdc

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 8:49:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am looking for help in identifying some spots I've noticed on my bed. I just completed treatment for bed bugs about two months ago, and I woke up today to find this blood spot on my sheets right by my pillow. It was brown/rust-colored, but I couldn't tell if that was due to the sheets being green:

C0D8A77F-61CE-41C6-9AD8-6793104F40EB

I have a passive monitor under my bed, and that is clear. However, I inspected my mattress itself, and I saw an increasing number of brown spots on the mattress. What you are seeing is actually on the white mattress encasement, which I purchased after my last treatment. It's hard to tell in the photos, but the spots are more brown than black. I have a mattress pad on top of the encasement and then sheets on top of that, so I don't really see how dirt could be getting on it. Is this a sign that bed bugs are still present? Any thoughts about what I should do would be appreciated.

E8E58419-BF26-46CF-9E61-F47ED1A78839
    A83068D7-7552-42D4-87D9-EA11CE057676
    A93D2880-9087-4FAE-A582-F5BB456F1F5E
    678FB908-2A33-4B69-A90B-683912FADDA2

I did try to smear the darkest one with a wet Q-tip, and it didn't smear nor did it come up on the Q-tip itself. Not sure if this is indicative of bed bug fecal spots or not.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 9:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please see this link for example images:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-blood-spots-on-sheets-primer

The two images of interest are:

C0D8A77F-61CE-41C6-9AD8-6793104F40EB by A B, on Flickr

Too red to be confirming of bed bugs. Its blood based and as such has many potential causes.

678FB908-2A33-4B69-A90B-683912FADDA2 by A B, on Flickr

The correct colour range for faecal but its not, the way it sits is wrong and the smear is not correct for faecal either.

If you have not deep cleansed your sleeping area in 30 days I would advise that and just keep an eye out for things as you clean.

Nothing to be worries about though. The rest of the blacker dots are blood that has washed in a few times, people tend to notice them as they turn blacker.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. maxdc

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 9:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your quick response and for taking the time to look at my photos -- this is very helpful!

I have two follow-up questions.

1) In the second image you referenced above, is the fact that it doesn't bleed around the edges what makes it seem like it's not fecal?

2) Except for the first image you referenced above, all of the photos are of spots on my mattress encasement itself (i.e., a part of my bedding that I never have direct contact with), so I don't think it can be blood and it hasn't been washed since I put it on about 2 months ago. Does that raise any additional alarm? I suppose it could just be dirt, but I'm not sure how it got there.

Also, I have one of your passive bed bug monitors installed on the first slat at the head of my bed as directed. My bed was treated with Crossfire approximately two months ago, though, including the frame. Would you recommend putting a monitor in another place in this case?

Thanks again!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 9:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

1/ No, its not about the bleed its the smear where you have rubbed it. Its a deeper level of detail than people are experienced at looking at. If you imagine taking a measure of the colour intensivity and level passing through the spot the profile of the curve is wrong, this is due to the density of the pigment contained in faecal. When there are many layers it appears brown/black but when it is smeared out there is more of a decay curve pattern than a linear correlation.

Sorry if that is not clearer but even augmented reality cant overlay what I see when I look at these things which is as frustrating for me as it must be for those reading but its as if my eyes speak a more complex language than I can convey.

2/ Then they are dirt rather than blood based.

The Passive Monitor is installed correctly. Sorry I know nothing of crossfire, I have a low opinion on chemicals and the industry that peddles them. The fact its clear is a good sign, check in a few days and if it remains clear it reinforces that its not bed bugs.

I am going to drop you a PM with a link to something I have been writing today as I think its a logic that might help here. Its not fully ready for public consumption so please don't share the link.

Hope that clarifies, to be 100% clear I see nothing in those images and your scenario that makes me assume bed bugs.

David

5. maxdc

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 17:44:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David, that is so helpful -- thank you! I don't actually remember if I took the photo of image #2 before or after I tried to smear it. Does that make a difference? I trust your opinion, just want to be sure I am clear about what I am showing. Thanks again!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 7:38:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It has been subjected to some smear / sheer / directional force prior to the image being taken, this is evident from the faint trail you can see.

It makes no difference to my judgement call on this one.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,591 posts in 41,773 topics over 127 months by 18,320 of 18,789 members. Latest: Murtyz, Winnie93x, buggyname