Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Ideas requested as I formulate an exit strategy

(8 posts)
  1. NeverSurrender

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 8 2012 23:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

It's 23 days since the last sighting / bite. I'm not letting my guard down since we went two weeks longer last time and then "it" returned. The last sighting was only one BB (I killed it). I'm starting to formulate a (cautious) exit strategy and could use some help. First here's my current status...

Almost two weeks of round the clock ziplock bagging, packtiting, caulking, cleaning and moving the majority of our possessions to an outside storage location. I want this place open as much as possible so the PCO coming next week can do a more comprehensive spraying of phantom.

Should I suggest the PCO focus his "hunt" to locations not only where we found live BBs in the past but also dead ones? Since we started cleaning and moving things out I found one dead BB in the cupboard next to the dishes. Not sure if it's safe to spray there.

I dissect me bed every night and it's really draining me out. Let's say we don't see any signs of BBs before the PCO comes over next week. Our plan (regardless) is we will be moving out of our home for about ten days after the spraying. Once we move back in, when is it reasonable to start to work on having a normal life again? I'm concerned about bringing my possessions back. I will be VERY careful when transporting from the storage unit and will closely inspect everything that comes out of the ziplocks. Given the information I just outlined when can I begin?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 9 2012 0:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you're getting over the hump. Ask the pco to try Temprid.

If you're not in a hurry, why not try using some traps/monitors to enhance your detection program and wait a while longer prior to bringing your stuff back and unpacking. You're so close to being done, why not be a tad more conservative to make for sure? !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  3. NeverSurrender

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 9 2012 3:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul, Believe me I'm not in a hurry. I want this to be over but I'm willing to do (almost) whatever is needed. I don't know anything about Temprid but I'm going to google it right now. As always I thank you.

PS - I plan on using traps and monitors as well.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 9 2012 10:39:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Yesterday I visited an apartment where a 2 year old little girl has been bitten by bed bugs since June. The mom & dad reported they hadn't been bitten however, bed bug evidence present on their bed and in their MBR revealed that they were likely being bitten but were non-reactive.

Despite three services conducted by the LL live bed bugs remained and were easily found upon inspection. The LL reported that the bed bug problem had been eliminated and that there were no more bed bugs present within the apartment. Yet, bites persisted on their daughter.

In desparation these folks hired their own professional to inspect the apartment. These pros confirmed the presence of bed bugs however, the modest income couple could not afford to hire them to perform a treatment.

The couple then contacted an attorney who specializes in such cases and this case will progress toward a predictable end.

Unfortunately, similar scenarios are coccuring on a regular, if not daily, basis these days as the bed bug problem continues to grow. No one deserves to suffer the effects of bed bugs and those folks who are the stakeholders need to start taking this problem seriously.

paul b.

5. impact2d

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 1:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a friend who's PCO used trained dogs to hunt out any remnant of bed bugs. I'm not sure how great it worked but this place is highly respected

6. lsdrg706

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 9:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 1 week ago  » 
    No one deserves to suffer the effects of bed bugs and those folks who are the stakeholders need to start taking this problem seriously.
    paul b.

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet, but maybe there is hope.

http://www.sternenvironmental.com/blog/2011/03/16/new-federal-bed-bug-legislation-on-the-horizon-part-i-of-ii/

7. BugsSkeeveMe

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 12:50:46
    #

Login to Send PM

The process is existing, and at the end of the day you feel drained and like you accomplished nothing. I just had thermal because chemicals did not work fr me. I believe they use the temp rid system. You can go home the next day. Everything comes out of the bags, all of your stuff comes home, everything gets treated at once. In feel great peace of mind. Hang in there, I we understand your struggle.

8. lagirl31

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 22 2012 18:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

NeverSurrender, you mentioned that your PCO is spraying Phantom and you're planning on staying out of the home for 10 days following the spraying.

Check with your PCO, but I don't think you want to do this. My understanding is that Phantom is non-repellent and the bugs need to have motivation to cross it in order to die. Essentially, you want to remain in your house and act as live bait so that the bugs will walk through the poison.

Our PCO used Phantom and it was really effective, but you do have to expect to be bitten for a few weeks post treatment. I know it's mentally difficult to handle, but it's part of the treatment process. Hang in there!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.