Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

ID This bug...so confused(PIC.. not good one tho)

(8 posts)
  1. nkim18

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 8:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok basically I had an infestation when I moved into my new apartment. I've had 3 treatments. after the first treatment it was unsuccessful back on Jan 20th. My g/f came to stay with me the weekend after that. I kept all her stuff on the dining room table(which turns out may have been infested).. so after that I had two more treatments and havent seen a bug or had a bite in two - three weeks. She also has not had a bite or seen any bugs since her visit with me on Jan 27th. UNTIL last night she thinks she found one. she sent me this picture..

http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/nkim18/?action=view¤t=IMG_4045.jpg

It kinda looks like a BB but its really big. And it seems kinda a long time since she visited since seeing a BB... and I'm sure she would have been bitten by now??

Her roommates saw it in person and said they weren't sure either and none of them (4 girls) have said they have been bitten or seen anything. So this was a first. What do you guys think?

2. nkim18

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 8:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah. And in the picture she already killed it.. I told her not to throw any away if she finds anymore. So the one in the picture is squished. and there has been no fecal stains or molt skins or ANYTHING that I could find when I searched her room last week (as just a precaution).

PS before she left my place she dried all her stuff on high ... and when she got home she washed and dried everything too! so im really disappointed right now and confused on what that bug is.. she said she looked online for them and it kinda looked like them but she hasnt been bit or anything and her roommates disagreed with her when she showed them but maybe they were giving her the benefit of the doubt

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 9:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

She could get a clearer and more of a close-up of it?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  4. nkim18

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 9:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah thats what I told her but she already tossed it.. I think she just took it real quick when it was late and wasn't thinking about it. Wouldn't she have seen bugs or been bitten by now? I know she reacts to bites, she got bit once in my bed while she was over at my place in January.

5. nkim18

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 9:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm starting to think it looked a lot like a bat bug. They said its about the size of an eraser on a pencil and it was pretty dark. Leads me to think bat bug?

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 9:53:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't really base a determination on those criteria.

7. lsdrg706

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 10:40:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Bat bugs and bed bugs can only be distinguished with the aid of a microscope (or photo scanner!), because the distinguishing characteristic lies in the length of a number of hairs, correct?

See if she can capture one on some tape, then scan it at 4800 dpi. You should be able to see the hairs then, like this one: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/ihatebugs1/?action=view¤t=morph2.jpg

This is a bed bug; the hairs at the top (sorry I don't know the proper term) are shorter (shorter than the width of the eye, if I recall), whereas in a bat bug those hairs are longer.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2012 13:32:27
    #

Login to Send PM

You might not need a microscope if you have seen bat bugs and common bed bugs. The hair (setae) lengths are distinctive and can be seen on the outer margins of the pronotum (segment/shield behind head). There are also differences in what the setae actually look like between the species. The setae also look different with respect to where they occur on the body and legs. There is more than one species of bat bug depending on your geographic area/collection site.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,643 posts in 31,239 topics over 95 months by 13,514 of 17,224 members. Latest: acaris, Closesuise, xMakiMakix