ID please - tiny bug on bed and laundry basket [a: mite, possibly parasitic]

(3 posts)
  1. manicmom1226

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 4:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I found what i thought were bites on my son about two weeks ago while giving him a bath. Bites appear to mainly be on trunk, arms, hands and neck (upper body, none on legs). When I found him with this rash/bites, i scoured his bed and found this tiny speck of a bug on his bedding. I later also found one that was slightly larger filled red color when i shined flash light through its tiny body. I should of posted a photo of the red bug..but my other son squashed it. I found this bug ON my sons body in the middle of the night while he was sleeping. Please help! I have been in manic mode for two weeks now. I called an exterminator/PCO and they said there are no obvious signs of bed bugs. I also have found no signs of bed bugs except for this bug i found on my sons body and also on bed linens and laundry.
    Thank you !!
    https://goo.gl/photos/eiaGHzMBbxXrVEfS9
    ..i found some photos i took of the dark red bugs (not very good resolution =( ..i have added to my photo link..thank you !!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 6:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a picture of a mite. Looks like it could very be a parasitic one from rodents or birds. First, you have to let us know if there is a rodent or bird issue.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. manicmom1226

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 10:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Good Morning Lou! THANK YOU for replying to my post =)
    ..back to possible rodent or bird issue...
    I definitely don't notice a rat or bird issue inside the house. However we do have a large hill in our back yard that have wild bunnies. Wild bunnies are all over our hilly neighborhood. We also have a few fruit trees on the hill where I know various rodents (rats racoons etc.) are eating the fruits as i find chewed up orange and pomegranite rind left behind. My boys sometimes play in the backyard and on the hill (maybe once a week). So my youngest son (4 y.o) is the only one getting bitten. Luckily his first major set of bites first happened about 2-3 weeks ago and have not gotten any new bites this last week. I did a deep vacuum of the house along with some major laundry when i first thought something was biting my son. I was relieved to not find new bites on my son the past week, but was worried all over again when i found the same type of "mite" in my (clean) laundry basket.
    The original post had a photos of two different color "mites" one whitish/tan the other dark red. They were both found at the same time on sons bedding. Is the dark red plumper looking one the engorged/fed version of the white/tan mite?
    Thanks a million Lou !!!
    your input in greatly appreciated
    by the way..were you able to see the little video i captured of the mite moving ?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,392 posts in 42,999 topics over 129 months by 18,867 of 19,425 members. Latest: Bugbitehelp, laurenashley0726, kamsd