(5 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 13:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Found this on my kid's mattress.

http://imgur.com/a/9DHhA

I don't think it is anything, but check to see if it is possibly part of something or an egg (wrong color for an egg, however). Honestly, looking at it zoomed in, it looks more plant-like than egg-like. I may need a break from inspecting beds. It's making me nuts. Expert input, however, is always appreciated.

Thank you.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 13:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not egg like.

Its seed like and is almost certainly a seed.

If you look at the rounded cylinder shape of eggs you can see one is capped with a round disc. Your image is clearly pointed at one end and rounded at the other.

eggsmicroscopestacker by David Cain, on Flickr

Slide44 by David Cain, on Flickr

Hope that clarifies.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 14:06:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely helps, David. Thank you.

In the 2nd photo. Purple circle is seed and blue are fecal spots. Correct?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 4:34:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No, second image as per our standard colour coding eggs are purple and faecal is blue.

I can only again prescribe that you spend time looking at slide shows of signs of bed bugs so that you can start to see the level of detail that you are missing. This may seem unpleasent at the start but when you start to drill your knowledge down to the level where you can see the signs more clearly you cut out the ups and down of the anxiety and emotional roller coaster you appear to ride whenever you find something that could be vaguely suspect.

The lack of clarity in what you perceive leaves you open to the natural magnetism of bed bugs and people literally get stuck in orbit. At the extreme end of this behavioral spectrum I see a few people each year who fight me to go through the hundreds and thousands of things they have collected that they are sure are bed bugs but are in fact "fluff", "debris" and "dirt".

It is in acknowledgement of this response that I say "there is such a thing as checking too much" and why I am an advocate of sensible weekly inspections rather than daily anxiety fueling ones and ideally to make those inspection Passive Monitor centric to again reduce the time spent to something sensible and productive.

Over the years I have left the odd breadcrumb around the concept of Zen and the art of bed bugs. This is probably more appropriately thought of as mindfulness and bed bugs (although I will leave the colouring in book to Lou to work on). Its a slippery slope for some and that starts with the reality that most find it a tough subject to focus on and a natural entophobia trigger with a side helping of feeling shame and unclean, despite the fact that logic illustrates the later two are fallacious.

Please take at least an equal amount of time to look and learn from examples as you are doing looking in your home, the former really is the better of the two investments at this stage.

David

5. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 20:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, David. And sorry to have been offline for a few days and not thank you sooner. I was becoming a bit obsessive, and sometimes a break from here helps me "get a grip".

I meant egg in my earlier post, not seed. I was typing way too fast. I will definitely study up and try not to go down the rabbit hole of dust and fuzz and other things. Never realized how much stuff we all tracked into our house, and our beds, before I started checking for bedbugs.

Thank you again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,728 posts in 43,314 topics over 130 months by 18,989 of 19,568 members. Latest: bradleyheathhays, jaygee, AAT09