ID please asap (freaking out) [a: lygaeid bug nymphs]

(21 posts)
  1. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 0:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

For almost 3 years having an irrational fear of bedbugs. This started with a rash on my leg. After that we have turned everything upside down. Found nothing but booklice, springtails and carpetbeetles (larvea and beetles). No feces or anything.
    Yesterday I had a small insect stuck to the bottom of my footh after showering, which was probably on the bathmat. It seemed dead. It is thin as a paper, it almost looked like a shell of somekind of bug. When I looked to it closer I freaked out. I have spend the day before under a big tree and there where a lot of different insects there, which where also on me. But I think this insect looks a lot like a bedbug.
    After taking foto's I stuck it under some tape, nothing came out of it (although it's but looks like it contains blood).

See next post for Flickr album

2. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 0:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

the next post it worked

3. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 1:00:03
    #

Login to Send PM

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 7:43:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It is a true bug nymph, but doesn't look like bed bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 8:35:59
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 48 minutes ago  » 
    It is a true bug nymph, but doesn't look like
    bed bug.

I was convinced it was a bed bug nymph. There is a reason why I'm a psychologist and not an entomologist. I'm gratefull for your reply. Thanks a lot!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 8:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

You only posted ventral views. The one next to ruler is a bit out of focus because ruler is in focus. Could you take it without ruler?

7. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 9:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not at home now, so i can't take a picture right now. I took one picture from it's back and one of it's abdomen. What would you like to see? Is there still a doubt it could be a bed bug nymph?

8. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 9:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

9. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 9:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 29 minutes ago  » 
    You only posted ventral views. The one next to ruler is a bit out of focus because ruler is in focus. Could you take it without ruler?

I don't think i can make pictures from another angle than this, because there is tape over it. Do you wan't to see it from another angle because you wan't to determine what kind of nymph it is or are you having doubt's that it could still be a bed bug nymph?

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 9:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe Lou is trying to determine what kind of nymph is in the photos. It is not a bed bug. If you compare the antennae segments of a bed bug to the antennae of the bug in your photos you can see the difference in the length and shape of the segments.

11. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 9:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 minutes ago  » 
    I believe Lou is trying to determine what kind
    of nymph is in the photos. It is not a bed bug. If you compare the antennae segments of a bed bug to the antennae of the bug in your
    photos you can see the difference in the length and shape of the segments.

Thanks. My logical brain thought so, but my emotional brain keeps taking the lead.

12. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 10:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

The first picture of the 4 in the album is dorsal, the second ventral, the third dorsal and the fourth next to the ruler is also dorsal. The one next to the ruler is very blurry indeed.
    The one I posted next is also dorsal under the tape. I will try to make another picture now, but I don't think I can make a more detailed one. I can't take the tape of, without crushing it.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 10:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Angelique - 1 hour ago  » 

I don't think i can make pictures from another angle than this, because there is tape over it. Do you wan't to see it from another angle because you wan't to determine what kind of nymph it is or are you having doubt's that it could still be a bed bug nymph?

As BD said. Not bed bug, just trying to see the body parts. The antennae are quite distinctive and like bed bug antennae.

14. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 10:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 6 minutes ago  » 

Angelique - 1 hour ago  » 

Not bed bug, just trying to see the body parts.

The most detailed dorsal view picture I can take with my phone:
    Most detailed dorsal picture

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 10:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Angelique - 13 minutes ago  » 

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

The first picture of the 4 in the album is dorsal, the second ventral, the third dorsal and the fourth next to the ruler is also dorsal. The one next to the ruler is very blurry indeed.
    The one I posted next is also dorsal under the tape. I will try to make another picture now, but I don't think I can make a more detailed one. I can't take the tape of, without crushing it.

Yes, the computer screen helped out over the pad screen. You're right, there are dorsal and ventral ones. These could be lygaeid bug nymphs. The tape does mask certain details, but at least these aren't bed bugs. Just compare these to pictures of bed bug nymphs so you can see the differences.

16. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 11:01:10
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 minute ago  » 

Angelique - 13 minutes ago  » 

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

Yes, the computer screen helped out over the pad screen. You're right, there are dorsal and ventral ones. These could be lygaeid bug nymphs. The tape does mask certain details, but at least these aren't bed bugs. Just compare these to pictures of bed bug nymphs so you can see the differences.

Trying to post my most detailed picture again
    Dorsal view

17. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 11:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

18. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 11:08:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I compared to bed bug nymphs. I think the one I found was not as round, also not the same color and the end of the antenneas of this one are dark grey. Also it's legs have a 'patern light and darker grey'. But I was worries because it's derrière/but/bottum has a color in it that looks exactly like blood. And also I can't think logical when it comes to bed bugs.

Again I want to thank you very very much for your help!

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 11:16:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Angelique - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I compared to bed bug nymphs. I think the one I found was not as round, also not the same color and the end of the antenneas of this one are dark grey. Also it's legs have a 'patern light and darker grey'. But I was worries because it's derrière/but/bottum has a color in it that looks exactly like blood. And also I can't think logical when it comes to bed bugs.

Color is not as important because red isn't necessarily our blood that is in the insect or mite. It is just the coloration they have. Antennal morphology is different - see shapes and sizes of antennomeres of both insects. The distal part of the tibia also is darkened and different morphology from that of bed bug tibia.

20. Angelique

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 11:31:01
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 10 minutes ago  » 

Angelique - 5 minutes ago  » 

Color is not as important because red isn't necessarily our blood that is in the insect or mite. It is just the coloration they have. Antennal morphology is different - see shapes and sizes of antennomeres of both insects. The distal part of the tibia also is darkened and different morphology from that of bed bug tibia.

Thank you for your thorough explanation.

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 12:52:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Angelique,
    Your post went into the spam filter-- sorry about that. Shouldn't happen to you again.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14