ID Needed (Pretty sure it's a BB) [a: bed bug or closely related]

(6 posts)
  1. coloradobugzsuck

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 14:15:44
    #

Login to Send PM

So we had bed bugs all the way back in August, and our landlord had the apartment heat treated. Thought we were clear.... Until I found this bastard on the wall today. I'm 95% sure it's a bed bug. Can anyone confirm?

0311171042c by Ric Heis, on Flickr

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 14:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its a bed bug or close relative.

If you lack faecal traces and cast skins as well you should seek to have the species confirmed before your proceed.

If it comes back as bat or bird which do occur in Colorado it may explain why therrmal was not the correct treatment option.

If it is bed bug it may indicate that you have a "local source" infestation dynamic. The length of time between August and now would indicate something you have done rather than an adjoining neighbor issue.

You have find a chart to species confirm here:

http://www.batbugs.com

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. coloradobugzsuck

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 15:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply. That's interesting as far as bat/bird bugs possibly go. We are on the top floor of the apartment. We have had passive monitors and mattress encasements on the bed since the first treatment and have yet to see anything else. Do bat/bird bugs bite humans? Because during in the first infestation we had bites.

I don't work anywhere I would be prone to pick up BB's, and although we have taken a couple trips lately, we are religious now about inspecting hotel rooms and keeping everything in hotel rooms sealed in plastic bags, as well as putting everything through the dryer upon return.

I was thinking may reinfestation from a neighboring unit just because the inspector that the apartment used to check our unit and other units was worthless. For example, when he checked our unit, he didn't even lift up the box spring.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 18:38:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad you took its picture (it's a male, BTW) from so far away. I used your highest resolution image to view. It's actually not like any common bed bug and it appears that it could be a bird bug, maybe a bat bug, but I think the former.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. coloradobugzsuck

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 20:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So since your post, I've done more reading on "Swallow Bugs" aka bird bugs, I'm thinking there's actually somewhat of a chance it may be one. Namely because I bent my head far off our balcony and discovered that there are swallow nests literally 2 feet from the window of the room in which we found the bug.

Also attached, I tried to attach some higher res pics, but the little bugger is stuck under tape, so I don't know how helpful they will be. However, we did find a "mystery" bug in one of our climb-ups in the bedroom, which is a room over (see attached picture) but unfortunately it was dead and dried up (likely had been through some cimexa), so it's not definitive what it is. It is really tiny. The attached picture is the best I could get.

We currently have another thermal treatment scheduled in a few days, although our landlord is paying for it. What are your thoughts on how to proceed? I'd love to get the bug on the tape affirmatively ID'ed, but it's stuck to the wall, so idk how salvagable as a sample it would be. Thank you!

0314171748a by Ric Heis, on Flickr

0311171333 by Ric Heis, on Flickr

6. coloradobugzsuck

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 15:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs or bugscouk, any thoughts on whether finding the nests makes it very likely to be a sparrow bug? And can sparrow/bird bugs reproduce independent of the birds if they infest the apartment? I am trying to plan out how to proceed in treating the unit and any feedback is very much appreciated.

I posted my update very late last night, so I'm hoping it didn't get buried. Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,484 posts in 42,162 topics over 127 months by 18,503 of 18,993 members. Latest: Searching4answer, amybooks, imbuggingout