Praying its carpet beetle larvae [a: dermestid beetle larvae and maybe adult]

(14 posts)
  1. mms77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:09:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Freaking out. We were exposed to bed bugs at a resort a few weeks ago, and now every bug/dirt speck in my house is suspect.

I found this dead in my bed. I know its not round/flat enough to be an adult male, but it's almost too "wormy" looking to be a female? It's almost black in color. IDK...what to think.

[img][/img]

I've inspected my mattress and sheets...don't see anything. I HAVE found several live bugs looking like this on the floor between the carpet and molding.

Your thoughts? I can try for a better picture if this one isn't good enough.

2. mms77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I should add, when we got home, I treated everything very carefully...luggage is STILL outside, clothes was washed/dried one garbage bag at a time.

We have an old house, and I know we have a lot of creepy-crawly things so hoping it's something else.

I feel like it would be weird to just randomly find it dead in my bed. Sounds like they don't just randomly die in the middle of the hike from the top of bed back to the mattress creases. No blood spots or anything.

Yes, I am totally trying to justify all this in my mind.

3. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Unable to see photo

4. mms77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:33:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Found two more on the floor. These are definitely fuzzy, so I am ruling these out. One was still alive, and one looked newly dead. I am hoping the third one (from my post above) is just ...more dead and dried up, but is the same as the other bugs.

[img][/img]

5. mms77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Woodrow15 - dang it, really? What am I doing wrong? I am pasting the IMG code in, and the pics are visable to me.

6. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey- so 1. They're not bed bugs. 2. The rest of your pics are showing (like the photo booth strip...)

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
  7. mms77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:45:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh,I am bad at this. Here is one more option. But thank you for your input!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158431729@N08/shares/9469ED

8. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:46:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't say what they are, because I'm not an entomologist... I just know they are not bed bugs. Carpet beetle babies would be my guess though, as I've also had them this summer.

9. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to let you know the others were public as quickly as possible... before the world started seeing your personal pics.

10. mms77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Sep 12 2017 23:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 36 seconds ago  » 
    I just wanted to let you know the others were public as quickly as possible... before the world started seeing your personal pics.

Thank you, I appreciate that!

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 3:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

mms77 - 3 hours ago  » 

Photobucket is not the way to go. Flickr is better. Dermestid beetle larvae and maybe an adult, but your picture is too small and low resolution to tell exactly. Insect ID pictures must be highest resolution and largest picture size.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. mms77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 7:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

mms77 - 3 hours ago  » 

Photobucket is not the way to go. Flickr is better. Dermestid beetle larvae and maybe an adult, but your picture is too small and low resolution to tell exactly. Insect ID pictures must be highest resolution and largest picture size.

Thank you! Just to clarify, I am 100% confident the 2 bugs are beetle larvae, and I think the third is just a more dead, more squashed one... Did you mean you think its an adult beetle or adult BB?

Sorry, I know the picture is awful and I don't have time to fix it right now, but just wanted to clarify your thoughts. Thanks again!

13. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 9:23:59
    #

Login to Send PM

mms77 - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

mms77 - 3 hours ago  » 

Thank you! Just to clarify, I am 100% confident the 2 bugs are beetle larvae, and I think the third is just a more dead, more squashed one... Did you mean you think its an adult beetle or adult BB?
    Sorry, I know the picture is awful and I don't have time to fix it right now, but just wanted to clarify your thoughts. Thanks again!

Adult beetle. 🙂

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Sep 13 2017 9:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To clarify, 100% not bed bug.

As Lou has identified beetle larva, to explain a little here the carpet beetle issue is not species specific. We have more data and images connected with CB's but the issue is not specific to this species.

Given what is presented I would progress with the similar advice to CB's because that is the correct path.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

264,051 posts in 42,687 topics over 129 months by 18,734 of 19,281 members. Latest: Vincent601, bedbug, Why2Us