ID needed [a: booklice and non-bed bug leg]

(12 posts)
  1. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 19:51:08
    #

Login to Send PM

About 3 months ago I found I got 2 itchy spots on my arms and the next ah found 1 dead adult bed bug in my bed. In the following 2 weeks we caught 2 1st stage in the interceptors in our room, and then found one possible nymph in an interceptor in my son's room. We had 2 treatments- 1 immediately just to our room, and the next to the entire upstairs after finding the one in my son's room. I vacuumed like a maniac and tore my bed and the kids beds apart constantly. Laundry was in plastic bags for over 2 months. I just finally started to feel ok again and I was days away from the 3 month mark with no sightings or bites (or even any evidence- we've never even had fecal matter or blood stains or seen eggs) when I got a few bites. Tore everything apart and found what appeared to be a nymph crawling on my 1 year old's mattress encasement. Had another treatment and once again back to vacuuming like a psycho and all. It's only been a week, but I've had no bites. I noticed a spot on my 3 year olds leg today but that could be a mosquito bite. Anyway the other day I noticed these teeny tiny bugs on my windowsill downstairs bathroom. (have never found any evidence downstairs. I also found the same things on my mater bathroom windowsill. I freaked initially, but now I'm thinking maybe book lice? Also- found this leg on another bathroom floor today- no other bug parts or anything anywhere. Could it be a bed bug leg? Pictures in link below http://imgur.com/a/GNI4M

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 23:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

The teeny bugs look like psocids or book lice. See this FAQ: Bed bugs or book lice? for how you can easily tell them from bed bug nymphs based on the shape of the head.

Wait for an expert to look at the leg.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 6:30:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response! I posted another picture in another thread, but this is the bug I found crawling on the crib mattress. What do you think? http://imgur.com/dDajPZ5

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 7:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely not a bed bug leg. Booklouse pictures.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 7:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so so much.

6. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 7:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

@loubugs are you referring to the pictures in the first link, or the second link I posted in the thread...or both? Sorry, I'm just so freaked out.

7. Mawiwala

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 7:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Second link is a booklouse, too.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 23:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The insects are book lice. Did you read the FAQ in my post above? It should help you see the difference between your insects' heads/necks and those of a bed bug nymph. This should reassure you going forward. I know a lot of people don't want to look at bug FAQs or bug pictures, but it really is empowering to know what you found, or didn't-- especially if it's good news. I speak from personal experience.

9. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 8:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I did look, thank you so much! That's actually what made me think to post the 2nd picture of the one I found on my son's mattress. I just wanted to be sure bc I'm a paranoid mess. When I had sent that picture to my PCO I had already told him the day before I thought I might have some bites. I sent him that picture (of it on my fingernail), and he said "looks like you need another treatment." (I had one in March when I found 1 single deal adult in my bed, and 2 nymphs in an interceptor- and another in April when I found something in an interceptor in my son's room- but that time my PCO was not convinced it was a bb and now I'm thinking it was a book louse. About a week and a half ago I got a few bites on my leg that I initially thought were mosquito bites. But I had 2 in a line on my leg and 2 in a line on my arm. There was one other random spot. Then I found that bug on my son's bed and lost my mind. I've still never found any eveidence. No shed skins, no blood or fecal stains, no eggs. Could they be that good at hiding? Or am I likely overreacting? I've been vacuuming every room in the house every day, and ripping apart the beds, vacuuming frames, doing bed linens every 2-3 days, and all laundry gets double bagged. I won't even let anyone out of their rooms wearing the clothes they wore to bed. I know I'm making myself and my family crazy, but I can't go through this again.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 8:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hope the PCO isn't misidentifying booklice as 1st instar bed bugs.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 8:21:57
    #

Login to Send PM

ljlo2011 - 1 day ago  » 
    @loubugs are you referring to the pictures in the first link, or the second link I posted in the thread...or both? Sorry, I'm just so freaked out.

Both. I think I answered your PM.

12. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 17 2017 13:01:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all so much! I think that in the very beginning back in March when I found the adult the 2 things we found in the interceptor were definitely 1st instars. However, in april when I found something in my older son's room my PCO wasn't convinced and said it seemed elongated. However, bc I'm a maniac and just in case he did another treatment. He may have just done this third one bc he knows how much anxiety I have about this. He did agree that the pictures of the bugs I found in the windowsill were not bed bugs, but did not identify them either. He was going to come by and look at one I saved. I'm feeling much better, but still unsure why I got those bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,826 posts in 43,337 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7