(17 posts)
  1. concernedquestioner

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2014 8:26:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I recently found something in a room which looked like a bed bug - I've tried to take a photo - but struggled to get anything very clear - any help would be appreciated:

Thanks,

Ben

2. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2014 10:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

NOT an expert, but doesn't look like one to me. Have a look here:http://bedbugger.com/photos-of-bed-bugs-and-signs-of-bed-bugs/

Hang tight, experts don't check in as often on the weekends.

3. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Nov 9 2014 16:17:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Photo isn't clear enough. There should be, on the exoskeleton on its back, what appear like lines going horizontally (side to side).

Your town/city may have what's called an Extension from a University's Entomology Dept which will identify bugs for you for free, which you can likely email, mail or come in in-person for.

4. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 20:05:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump. Can one of our esteemed experts help ID this?

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 22:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

bump again for expert ID

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 22:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Beetle - not a bed bug.

Would have been able to help sooner if tryingalso wasn't flooding site with unless dribble.

7. sleeplessinnj

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 22:35:12
    #

Login to Send PM

This does not look like a bed bug alot of beetles look like bed bugs best thing to do is capture it in a piece of clear tape and analyze comparing bb pivs... I am not an expert so don't quOTE me I hope it is not for your sake. .. I am new to this forum can you please look at my post?

8. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 10 2014 22:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course it's useless to you, KillerQueen - it doesn't drum up business for you. They can help others though. There's a counter between exterminators and those with bed bug infestations; it's like police and civilians... police aren't needed in places where people find ways to limit or eradicate crime.

beatingbedbugs.wordpress.com

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 2:50:38
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 3 hours ago  » 
    Of course it's useless to you, KillerQueen - it doesn't drum up business for you. They can help others though. There's a counter between exterminators and those with bed bug infestations; it's like police and civilians... police aren't needed in places where people find ways to limit or eradicate crime.
    beatingbedbugs.wordpress.com

trying,

Your assessment above is incorrect-- the image is certainly clear enough to identify that this is not a bed bug. I can see this, and I'm not an expert.

The lesson here is that you should not be trying to identify insect photos. Please leave it for the experts. Thank goodness experts like Killer Queen are able to do such IDs here.

Also, I suspect Killer Queen is irritated in part because you keep reviving old discussion threads. He's not alone.

You may not realize this, but you are burying current conversations by bumping up old ones. The front page can only hold so many conversations, and each one you revive drops in new one off the list of latest discussions. So please think carefully before you respond to a thread which is months or years old.

Update:Please read this post.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. tryingalso

Banned

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 5:23:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Was it, incorrect, nobugsme? It wasn't clear enough for me to see, and I gave appropriate advice on where the member could have it properly identified, in case it would take awhile for anyone else on this site who could possibly discern better than myself to identify it. It just seems dubious anyway to rely on unknown strangers to ID it through an unclear photo online when one can just go to an Extension in-person and talk with a definite bed bug ID'r in-person for such a critical inquiry. Or go visit an entomologist or exterminator in-person.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 7:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi tryingalso,

Generally its not unknown people who ID, those that do so are qualified and experienced to do and have been around for long enough that we know their real names.

As a general rule of thumb the more posts someone has made the more likley they are to know what they are talking about unless they are posting for quantity over quality as some folks seem to do.

In this case the image is clear enough for an experienced person to ID and the distinguishing feature is the split wing casing down the back which means its 100% not bedbugs and is a beetle. Had the person of logged off any walked to an extension entomologist they would have possibly got part way there only to find the answer was already given correctly on the forum. I would also point out that not everyone has access to extension entomologists.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 12:06:40
    #

Login to Send PM

tryingalso - 6 hours ago  » 
    Was it, incorrect, nobugsme? It wasn't clear enough for me to see,

It was incorrect, because you said,

tryingalso - 1 day ago  » 
    Photo isn't clear enough.

Which, as I stated, isn't true. But the users might have taken you at your word, instead of waiting for an appropriate response.

You are not experienced enough to ID photos . It's not clear you actually have any experience having seen bed bugs.

If you want to discuss the site policies further, please PM me.

13. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 19:14:42
    #

Login to Send PM

And now tryingalso has ASLO brought KQ and DK together. Bravo!

14. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 19:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my goodness. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules. I only comment on IDs when I am VERY sure they are not BBs just to give the OP some peace of mind. I ALWAYS state that I am not an expert and am bumping for an expert ID. Please let me know if I should not be doing this.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 19:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsyracuse - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Oh my goodness. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules. I only comment on IDs when I am VERY sure they are not BBs just to give the OP some peace of mind. I ALWAYS state that I am not an expert and am bumping for an expert ID. Please let me know if I should not be doing this.

No-- many people who have been here a while are qualified to do some basic IDs. You have a basic knowledge base and I don't recall you giving incorrect information.

The problem is when people post and are not experienced, and then they give incorrect information.

The poster in question was breaking a lot of different forum rules, and was finally banned after reposting some spam about "dimmed lights" which anyone who has looked at bed bug photos on flickr will be familiar with. It also made clear he had no respect for me, the website, or the experts here, which I found offensive. It's there if you want to look for it, I didn't delete it, so people could see you really do have to make an effort to get banned here.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 20:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sure all the banned are huddled together still trying to work out why their "amazing ideas" are not resolving their infestations.

Sorry folks if it was that simple it would not occupy 14 hours a day 5 days a week, 4-6 hours on weekends, 52 weeks of the year and the last 12 years of my life.

It's not a simple problem with fix because there is a huge variance in the extent of individual cases. Some are simple but too often their are dispersed through the wrong initial steps or through ineffective treatments. I had such a case today, inspected after 6 treatments and I still don't know if it's the hoarder in the next apartment or just that the idiots who treated managed to disperse the issue more than they killed. I could literally see the layers of treatment but still only took 5 minutes in the room to find a live bedbug.

I just wish there was an easy and fast way to teach that level of understanding and experience but there is not. I can only encourage it's understanding and hope for open enough minds (without brains having fallen out) to pick up my bread crumbs.

Personally I am overusing "you can't fix stupid" this week but it does seem that after enough warnings you can get banned.

On that note in case anyone new is thinking its unfair let me stress it's rare and only done when it's disruptive and on-going.

I will also say I like longer term readers giving "not bedbugs - wait for expert later" because it shows that people are progressing which is one of the things that keeps me here.

David

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 11 2014 23:49:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- in case anyone new is concerned, it really is hard to be banned. I want people to use the site and post on it. It's why we're here. So don't worry and just use the site and take advantage of the support here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,586 posts in 44,061 topics over 134 months by 19,297 of 19,927 members. Latest: sobernoodles, ridmybedbugs, Napier99