ID Needed BB Nymph? [a: Tapinoma melanocephalum (ghost ant) worker]

(8 posts)
  1. adsf123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 22:32:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Had 10 to 15 of these crawling all over hotel desk and found 1 in my luggage. Please help with an ID.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u12dqat71ah7l1p/AAC__IafeBJxxxlw7oqTlZMEa?dl=0

2. adsf123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 22:45:42
    #

Login to Send PM

3. adsf123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 22:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

adsf123 - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Had 10 to 15 of these crawling all over hotel desk and found 1 in my luggage. Please help with an ID.

Just added slow motion video for better view.

4. iamscared

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 1:19:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Doesn't look like BB to me based on gallery here and what others have posted. Looks more like ants?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 4:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The images are not clear enough for me to species ID beyond 100% not bed bugs. The way it moves in one of the videos reminds me of ants walking but clearer images may be needed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. adsf123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 6:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the response. I did some further research and I believe they are "Ghost Ants". Goes to show how much BB's strike fear into the hearts of hotel goers. Thank you again for the response.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 10:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I did suspect that, in which case nothing to worry about. The ones which would have come home with you are not able to reproduce as they are workers. The queen is impossible to miss as they are usually HUGE. I saw one once about 6 months into being a pest controller and still kick myself for letting it go. They usually hide deep within the fabric of buildings.

David

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 11:43:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, looks like Tapinoma melanocephalum worker. They have been transferred via potted plants over the last number of years from native places to others. Coloration is quite distinctive.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69