Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

I thought I had chicken pox!

(4 posts)
  1. lisalila

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2008 6:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi

My name is Lisa. I am 31 years old and never experienced bed bugs until now. About one week ago I noticed a couple (2) bites on my upper body near my shoulders. They were itchy, but when I looked at them, they appeared slightly different than a mosquito bite. I scractched the bites; not having a clue what they were and the next day I had more bites. Without sounding like a complete idiot here; I proceeded to continue to scratch the bites since I had never had bed bugs before and did not know that is what I had. Because of all the scratching, the bites quickly spread all over my stomach area, with a few under my armpits, back and legs. At that point I knew it was serious. I went to the walk-in clinic where a doctor examined the bites and told me he was not sure what it was! I told him that I had chicken pox when I was younger and was wondering if I could have them again. He said that the bites did not look like chicken pox, but it could be possible to have the virus again but with an abnormal rash (meaning they would not look identical to the way chicken pox usually appear on the skin). I then asked him if there was any way to confirm that I had chicken pox, and he said that it would not show in a blood test. He also said that it could be possible that a bug bit me and the rash spread from the bite. He wrote me a prescription for some hydrocortisine cream, which I have not purchased yet; because I was unsure of what I actually had. Yesterday, I decided to google "bed bugs" on the internet, and read about the symptoms. It really grossed me out. I started to think that it was possible that I had them. Today I came across this website and from the descriptions of the bites I have read on here; it sounds like that is exactly what I have. And if you can believe this, it has been almost a week now since the first few bites; and I just recalled myself noticing a bug in the washroom hallway (near the bedroom) that I was curious about. I have very good eyesight I guess because when I noticed it, I thought is that a baby cockroach? I even asked my boyfriend to come to take a look. He took a mini microscope and looked at it up close and determined it was not a cockroach. We have never had cockroaches in our house. We live in a fairly new townhouse in a nice neighborhood. After seing the picture on the internet yesterday of how a bed bug looks, I just concluded that the bug I saw on the bathroom wall was a bed bug. I would really like to know what I am supposed to use to get rid of these bites on my body. Any suggestions? I have already washed my duvet cover and changed the sheets when I first noticed the bites; but now I have realized that I have to diligently inspect the whole bedroom and wash everything in sight. I have a King size feather duvet that needs to be washed. Should I throw out the mattress? Help!

Lisa

2. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2008 12:30:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Google booklice they can resemble bed bug nymphs to an untrained eye.

3. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 3 2008 21:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Lisa,
    You will have to put that great eyesight to use and thoroughly inspect your bedroom.There are many pictures on this site to help you know what your looking for.Start with the bed itself and go over every inch paying particular attention to tufts and folds,any dark spots can be rubbed with a moist washcloth(you're looking for blood,if it turns a dark red that's what it is)next on to the headboard,then the drawers of the nightstands(pay attention to the undersides of everything) They must know pesticides don't spray up,lol.If you find any bugs ziplock for id.Good luck
    P.S.-Look at anything on the walls as well,picture frames,shelves,ect.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 4 2008 0:21:19
    #

Login to Send PM

You need these faqs:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/identifying-the-problem-do-i-have-bed-bugs-or-something-else/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.