I need sympathy from somebody

(24 posts)
  1. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 19:57:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Somebody please sympathize with me and tell me I'm not crazy (because basically everyone else has)

I feel like the 21st century leper. I can't sleep. I can't stay focused at work. Everyone laughs at me or tells me I'm nuts; that I'm psycho-somatic and it's really all in my head. People are turning their backs on me. Forget about trying to have a social/dating life...

I wish I was crazy: I still can't provide clear proof that I have them. All I have to go on are these small red spots that disappear as soon as appear. (again, everyone thinks this is normal or in my head) I also found little small red specks that *MAY* be dried blood or may not be... who can tell... who knows?

The landlord has been cooperative to a degree... I, at first, treated it myself as thoroughly as I could, following all the tips I've read on the internet. I used Belam and Deforce HPX... still the red spots... the PCO came... treated... I stayed at my moms for a few days. Came back... I thought I was OK, then slowly, the red spots would appear again... I thought I survived today... only just now, another red spot on my wrist.

I feel like I want to kill myself (although I wouldn't really do that)

Is there anybody that can tell me I'm not crazy?

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 20:58:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Could you give a bit more detail about the red spots that disappear as soon as they appear? Also where are you finding these red specks that "may" be dried blood? It has been my experience that these stains do not come out even once the sheets are washed.

Your not crazy a bit crazed maybe but not crazy. Why did you stay at your Mom's? It is my understanding that if you do have them you should stay in your home and act as the "bait" so as to attract them out when your sleeping and cross over whatever treatment was put down.

I think there are others on this site who could give you more info than I can as I'm still learning myself. Check out the FAQ's and check out pictures of bed bug bites and fecal stains. I think it would give you a better idea once you see these for yourself.

I don't react as badly as others to being bitten but mine do not go wawy as soon as they appear. It sems to take about 4 days to a week before they are completely gone. But different people react differently.

Sorry doesn't seem to be much help from this. Start doing some research so you know what to look for. This site is a wealth of information.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 21:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

HI there,

Sorry you're going through that experience. I don't think having the bites disappear right afterwards is typical, though bites can vary a great deal.

If it is bed bugs, it is true they can be hard to find. But not impossible. There are ways of catching them off guard. If I were you, I'd throw my energy into getting a sample. It is possible you do not have bed bugs but some other possible cause (folliculitis, bird mites, another skin condition?) and if so, it will need another treatment. We have a FAQ which goes into some of the possibilities--it's the one called "What are bed bugs? What else could be causing this?" at the top of this page: http://bedbugger.com/faqs/

Here, NotSoSnug's method of obtaining samples is described. It may sound like overkill, but remember, I am only suggesting you get ONE sample. It could really help.

Keep in mind, also, that if you have bed bugs, you will see fecal specks or spots. You may also see cast skins and eggs. Some of our FAQs describe the signs of bed bugs (with photos) so spending some time on those might help.

I am sure there is some kind of cause for your problem. Which means you are not crazy. BUt it may take some work to figure out.

Please do not harm yourself!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 23:05:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks,guys...

Just having people who don't immediately assume I'm a few degrees off beam is comforting...

And for the record, I would never kill myself over these little B***sterds.

Nobuggesonme, if I were to take pictures of the vanishing red spots/welts and other circumstantial evidence that I have, is there someone that could look and verify for me?

People have suggested I go to a dermatologist, but that's not even a sure thing.

One thing I do find: little black specks/flecks on my mattress cover that flake off... as in, I can simply sweep them away. In fact they were more flakes then specks... They don't smear. What is the true consistency of BB fecal material?

The (possible) dried blood spots that I found were a few very small specks, but I had put some effort into removing them... no real blotches or stains...

Thanks again!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 12:28:30
    #

Login to Send PM

No--no one can look at a photo and declare your bites were caused by bed bugs. Look at this page for just a hint of the variety and range:
    http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-bites-photos/

This is partly why dermatologists often can't diagnose them (esp. if they are unusual--the people with big welts seem to be more easily diagnosed, but still not universally).

Fecal specks can also vary a great deal. Seeing black specks is, to me, a sign you should aggressively search for live bugs. The link I gave you in the previous post describes how NotSoSnug did this. You just need to capture one. If they are biting, NotSoSnug's experience makes me think it can be done.

I am perplexed as to why your PCO came once and expected the job to be done. Most cases take three or more visits.

Finally, if it is determined you do have bed bugs, you need more treatments, spaced 2 weeks apart, until the problem is gone. And you have to sleep there during treatment--it is impossible to kill bed bugs while you sleep at your mom's. There are ways to sleep there without being bitten, but you must BE there. Please click the FAQs button below and read the FAQs.

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 15:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

DRKSD4848,
    At the peak time of my infestation my skin was not showing reactions although my wife and dogs did. My skin did not react for three to four months, my reactions would then show after a hot shower or bath and then go away. I did document this with a digital camera which I think you should do also with your skin reactions.
    It is almost impossible for a Dermatologist to verify bb bites they can only guess.
    Some poop flakes and some smear and all is dark or jet black and poop can be very small and in lighter infestations you find the majority of poop near where the bugs hang out where many gather and hide and let the meal digest. Other insects such as fleas poop also.

7. dcbug

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 18:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone, I'm in the same boat. It has been months now- I first saw weird bites on me in September, and still I have no evidence of anything. My boyfriend is not showing any signs (he doesn't live there, just spends a few nights a week/mainly wknd) and my roomate has not been bit. No blood specs or anything I can identify as fecal matter or castings. I was away for 2 and a half weeks at the end of Nov, and the BBs, if that's what they are, did not migrate to my roomate. I expected that after so long they would be really hungry and I would see them easier- but no. We have a PCO that comes every Friday for the building, and I had him spray our apart, but I wasn't there so I just left him written instructions with my suspicions. He claimed he saw no signs and it was just spiders. Riight- I had him come back the next Friday, and this time my boyfriend was there to repeat my instructions. Again he doesn't think that's what it is but sprayed anyways. I left to visit my parents the next day, and friends of mine crashed at my apart and slept in my bed. Before you crucify me- I had told them everything and were there also when the PCO came, I did not use them as bait! They had no bites. Basically- here it is- I am getting bitten by something invisible that apparently is only affecting me. I'm starting to go insane, afterall, my roomate and boyfriend think I am. Unfortunately, I agree with all of them, the though of us having bugs is ludicrous, since we've been living there a while with no issue, my bed is a cheap ikea unfinished wood- very light in color and showing no signs of anything; neither is the mattress, walls, or dresser. I have tried putting tape around the legs of the bed to catch one, didn't work. I have cleaned with murphy's soap, and now, in a desperate attempt I have put rings of DE around each of the legs of the bed- not a light sprinkling, but a moat of DE to isolate the bed- and sprayed DE in places that look like good hiding spots. I'm not looking to self treat- I just want to catch something! I need to prove to myself and everyone else that I'm not insane, but unfortunately it's been months and all I have are some bites and itchy skin.
    Shouldn't the infestation be big enough my now!?! Shouldn't the DE have at least killed one? Any other invisible bug that bites?
    I need proof.

8. pleasehelp

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 18:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

dcbug - how about getting a bb dog to go over your apartment? You'll probably have to wait a number of weeks after the last spraying, however, because of their sensitive noses.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 19:00:55
    #

Login to Send PM

dcbug,
    A bed bug dog is a good idea. I don't know anything about whether they can or can't do their job after a spray, so I'd ask someone in that field.

Also, bed bugs are not invisible. I gave the other poster a link ABOVE to a post about how you can search using a red light. If you really want this to end, you need confirmation; if you can't go with a bed bug dog, try this other method.

10. DRKSD4848

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 22:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

How much does a bed bug dog cost and where can I fine one?

Two more welts today... this time, I've taken pictures... and this time, they're not going away...

11. stamps

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 23:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, I completely sympathize. Long story short, it's been over two months now and I've thrown out most of my furniture at this point. Being a teacher, I can't really afford to replace this stuff.

I hate this problem so much. Now I'm getting paranoid about my boyfriend's place -- I've been very careful when going over to his house (we have a nice cache of "bed bug bags" over there I use for clothes/shoes/coat/etc when I change upon arrival) but I still can't get over the fear that he may have bedbugs.

I'm getting jerked around by my landlord and the PCO. I don't want to have to throw out anything else. This has to be over soon, right? It is possible to get rid of these hideous things with PROPER treatment, right???

I'm looking at moving but uncomfortable with the idea that I may be spreading bugs to a new place. God help me.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 1:24:02
    #

Login to Send PM

DRK -- I PMd you.

13. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 10:45:05
    #

Login to Send PM

DRKSD4848,

Can you email jpegs of your skin reactions to Nobugsonme so they can be posted so that we can see what your reactions look like?

14. dcbug

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 11:38:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to get a bb dog to come- I do think that would be best solution especially if he can specifically identify where they are, but does anyone know how much they cost? Unfortunately money is a real issue. I also remember someone on this post saying they couldn't find one in the DC area...
    also- my building is strictly no pets, and there is no way to be discreet about a big german shephard walking in; a bit worried about the reaction, although i'm getting less and less concerned about that.

15. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 12:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

dcbug-

I'm sorry, I haven't read all of your posts, but if you suspect bedbugs and are in the process of investigating, and you live in a building, then trying to be discreet is not what you should be concerned about. You should have already spoken to your landlord or building management. I would have spoken to the neighbors myself as well. Bedbugs in an apartment are generally not something you want to handle privately, for several reasons.

Also, if it is bedbugs, consider whether it's possible you have been bitten outside the home. Workplace, another person's home or location you visit regularly. And go see a dermatologist. In other words, the answer will come via a process of elimination and keeping an open mind to the various possibilities is the way to go.

I wish you luck. The dog is a good idea. Something tells me you will not lack for recommendations.

16. dcbug

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 12:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

My only concern with discreetion is management- the PCO has sprayed my apartment twice, both time declaring he didn't think there were any bugs. I was not there either time he spayed (he is hired by management to come every Friday and I'm at work then)but my boyfriend was and revoiced my concerns. Unfortunately, he has had no bites, so both my roomate and him less then sympathetic about this since they have no bites, so I can't vouch for how competent the PCO is. Since this is our official PCO, the building will not hire someone else and I can't just bring in someone, and without evidence I cannot keep having him spray. If he doesn't believe I have them he will not do a good job and maybe make the problem worst...?

I feel like a dog is the only way to really know... How much are they?

17. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 13:08:08
    #

Login to Send PM

What I understand about bb dogs are that they of course are not 100% but I believe they may possibly be of some help.

Demand to know what chemicals the exterminator used and where did he apply them.

With the differences in individual immune system responses to bed bug bites I do not think that you should assume or state that your companions are not getting bit. They may be getting bit but are not showing reactions as of now but they may have reactions in the future to old bites and/or new bites. I would state when asked that your companions are not having reactions to the bites at this time.

18. pleasehelp

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 14:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi dcbug, I'm in Northern VA & I had a bb dog inspect my house. The cost is negotiable, dependent among other things, on how convenient it is for the dog & handler team to get to you and the size of the job. I'll pm you. You should start a new thread with a tag of 'dog' and a title/subject with 'dog' & 'dc' in it. Several handlers monitor this site and they will get in touch with you. The handler I got does a lot of traveling & he contacted me when he was in the area for another job. And he will be setting up a dc office very soon - this month, I believe.

19. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 14:18:34
    #

Login to Send PM

dcbug - I don't doubt that you have bed bugs, but do you have other signs of them? Ever seen a live bug, found skins, or fecal spots, etc? It's possible that your roommate and boyfriend don't have reactions to the bites. However, is it possible that something else is to blame? I haven't read all your posts on the forum so I don't know the whole situation....have you ruled out other possibilities like skin problem or lice?

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 14:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

dcbug,

If the PCO will not treat without confirmation of bed bugs, and you're bringing the dog in to confirm the presence of bed bugs, then why hide that you're doing so? I'd think you'd want the landlord to know you're having a test done. Because if you do find them, the landlord is going to hear about it, right?

While not 100% accurate, and while definitely dependent on the quality of the team, it nevertheless would provide a kind of information--and may possibly lead you to a visible harborage. I would speak with the dog handler about the importance to you of finding such a harborage if at all possible.

It is a new industry but you can find plenty of news articles which might help you convince the landlord to trust the process.

21. dcbug

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jan 3 2008 15:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Lieutenant- you are right, no reaction vs not bitten would be more accurate.

Currentinsomniac- no other signs whatsoever! We have no pets, very little connects the apartments, we're on the 4th floor so no rats or creepy crawley from outside, i've cleaned the whole place in case of spiders or other things, even checked my head for lice, nothing. I have searched for all other possible causes, but nothing else bites for this long... I considered possible allergents, but I have no allergies and in either case, allergies would be a rash, not distinct bite marks. I've been through many stages of thinking I'm wrong and overreacting- sometimes I even fully convice myself- but then I wake up with bites from something. It is from the apart because I don't have bites when I am not there. I'm fully prepared for ANY explanation. I'd even accept psychosomatic (as my boyfriend suggests), but while I can make up the itchiness, I cannot just manifest a clear distinct bite mark.

I will save up the money and try for the dog- I know nothing is full proof, but it seems the best way to go. Thank you everyone.

22. bekalekah

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 4 2008 2:39:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Dcbug, you reminded me to post about requesting a different PCO, but when you say official pco do you mean the technician or the company?

Consider discussing your concerns with your landlord. If they are sending the same guy to spray for bedbugs as they are for the monthly roach treatment, maybe the company has somebody else they can send with more bbug knowledge. Did he do a through inspection? Or an inspection at all? You say you left a note for him to treat. Sounds like maybe you need to get a bit more involved. Remember, neither your PCO nor your landlord are going to care about this as much as you, so it does take some communication effort. Also, try educating your landlord and talking to your neighbors. This may seem intimidating, but knowledge is power. The majority of my neighbors did not know what bedbugs were or what to look for. Your landlord will have a much bigger problem on his hands if he waits to learn the hard way.

As for the friends who stayed over & had no bites, it's possible that the recently sprayed pesticide has dented the population or is temporarily keeping them away.

Also, just because your roommate & boyfriend are not reacting to bites does NOT mean they are not being bitten. Neither me or my roommate react. I would urge you to inspect your roommates room. If she is not reacting, then she is probably not cleaning as diligently and you may be able to find evidence in there. Be very thorough, don't just spot check. Go with your instincts. I found eggs & casings this weekend when I pulled the backboard off my roommates computer desk during inspection -- it just looked like a suspiciously good place for them to hide. Get in there with a flashlight and check the backs & undersides of things. It takes time but hopefully will pay off.

Good luck!

23. Loviatar

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 27 2008 2:43:49
    #

Login to Send PM

DCBug, Please consider rodent mites. Rodent mites can be selective in who they bother and even if they bother more people, not everyone is allergic to their bites. I know of three incidents of what I believe to be tropical rat mites in the DC area (two in Fairfax, VA and one in Arlington, VA), in all cases they were selective of their hosts. For more info on mites, go to my blog, http://mitescentral.blogspot.com

Loviatar

24. Loviatar

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 27 2008 2:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

One more thing, rat mites are essentially microscopic. Even though a lot of public informatives say they are visible to the naked eye, this is not necessarily the case. Most people can't see them and it is difficult to catch them, although you can try boiling water in a tub on the floor with a light on top of the tub. Make it so it is easy for bugs to crawl in. Glass may be hard for mites to climb. Here is a helpful discussion board where people who have experienced rat mites discuss them: http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/health/insect_bites.html

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,362 posts in 46,556 topics over 141 months by 20,532 of 21,395 members. Latest: Bedbugvaca, jidhvs1, Darrellkking