I know it can take more than one treatment but ...... feeling discouraged

(24 posts)
  1. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 6:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my first chemical treatment 8/2. I am sleeping in my daughter's ground zero bed and getting bit every night (maybe one night no bites). I will have my second treatment on 8/16 and even though my pco told me the bites would likely continue thru that it's taking a toll on me. I just want it to work. I'm glad switching rooms with my girls has spared them. The pco did not think that they had moved from this room yet. Sighhhhh. This is a long process and the cumulative lack of restful sleep is tough!

2. misery

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 7:23:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I absolutely understand.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. Tim m

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 13:25:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand your stress I too am sleeping on ground zero my couch just so the little spawns of Satan don't move and get my kids. So far none of my children have bites, but I look like a connect the dots game. I have to wait til the 18th for heat treatment.

I did find some laughter out of this nightmare two nights ago before bed I left my wallet out and my wife asked why I told her I'm charging for these meals. Unfortunately no money the next morning but two new bites they dined and dashed.

4. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 22:20:47
    #

Login to Send PM

They do just take what they want and leave! I hate that I can't find them! I wish you continued success on saving the kids-we watched a movie tonight and I was worried we'd be spending too much time in the living room! (Since ours seem to be in one bedroom right now)

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 2:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Try to take comfort in the fact that -- assuming the treatment was done correctly, and they're not just harboring in the bed-- every time they come to feed, they should be crossing poison and this will lead to their deaths.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 2:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm the only one in my family of 5 that reacts, and I too moved to ground zero (the couch bed) for a week... would have been longer, but I finally had enough (70+ bites) and threw the couch away. I hate the idea of being a meal, but if it 1. Keeps them contained and 'happy' during treatment and 2. Keeps them from moving to my kids, I'll suffer

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  7. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 14:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes that is how I feel as well! Stay away from the little one! Before I knew what we were dealing with my littlest one had bites on her face! Such mom guilt 😳😳

8. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 14:31:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobug- I pray the treatment was done correctly. He seemed very knowledgeable and although I wasn't in the house for the treatment he did a thorough inspection when he came the first time. I guess I will have a better idea how it's going after the second treatment. It's just such a long pricsss when you are a nightly snack!!!

9. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 20:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Nightmare-

I can tell you that I have been in your shoes a meer month in.
    I had my apartment treated on July 22 - initial bed bug sighting was on July 14 with some bites and a dead bug in my bed. My neighbour was treated before I moved in in June but my landlord cut a corner...LONG STORY SHORT I had them.

Treatment day happens, my mattresses are encased and I did still get bit - but no bugs or evidence on my mattress anywhere (which was strangely frustrating!)

I want to give you some hope - because I didn't get that so far. I am now in my 4th day being bite free (I react 12 hours after being bitten) and about 8 days since my last bedbug sighting. It does get better. It sucks using yourself as bait, but I knew every time they crossed that barrier through the poison it was another dead bug. You will eventually be able to sleep again and my life is pretty much back to routine (aside from getting my clothes from bags).

My second treatment is on Thursday but if you need some support I'm here! Send me a PM and we can always email.

10. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 21:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you anxious! We are getting ready for our second treatment tomorrow morning! Longest two weeks ever. But I did (fingers crossed knock on wood) go the last two nights without bites! And isn't that crazy how long it takes the bites to appear!!!! I was convinced they were in my car or that I'd brought them to work! So stressful and anxiety producing!!!!!

11. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 21:27:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I plan to come back and post a success story! There aren't enough of those to be honest! Good luck!!! I know bites aren't the 'best' or 'expert' way to measure eradication but we take the small victories when we can!

12. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 7:19:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I also hope to post a success story! Of course I did get bit last night 😳. I react strongly so a two night break was nice. My arms are crazy looking! And my girls want back in their beds (they are in my room me in theirs because that is the ground zero bed). Hopefully soon!

13. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 9:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Anxious- how were you able to find bugs? I caught two prior to treatment and when the pco came for the inspection he found one. But since then we haven't seen anything! And when he treated yesterday he said he didn't find anything dead or alive! It's so frustrating it's like they are invisible

14. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 9:44:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and what has been caught are nymphs. No sign of an adult but obviously there's at least one somewhere!

15. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 20:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I caught one that was dead in my bed. The second I caught when I was awake at 3 am and saw it scurry across my mattress (reflexes like a cat!) the other I found alive on my mattress after encasing it. I have a super awkward shaped mattress so my cover is baggy. But I inspect every day and found one hiding in a folded corner. Le squish!

We don't have great options for Passive Monitors in Canada (Raid brand or bust). I have heard of people going along their baseboards with a hairdryer, rubbing alcohol and a lint brush. But...honestly I trust the process at this point. And I already have a ring of duct tape around my bed (I don't have a bed frame) I don't want to be anymore crazy.

I am currently on day 8 of no bites, 14 days since I saw my last bedbug alive. All others I've seen are dead and crumbly.

I had my second treatment today and the PCO said he couldn't find any live bugs. Which I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief!

How are things going for you?!

16. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 20:57:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I only had the two days of no bites. Then back to bites for the last two nights. I really hope the activity starts to drop off or I'm going to be super stressed! My pco assured me they will be crossing the chemical to get to me but I was bit 12 days straight and given their feeding cycle I feel like I must have a ton of the little suckers!!!! Very hard to fight something you have a hard time seeing! I also had to be quick as lightning to catch the one that was eating my daughter before I knew we had bed bugs. It was on her foot and almost escaped! My heart sunk when I saw what it was. That was July 28. Sighhhh I feel like it's been much longer!

17. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 22:26:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey nightmare. How have you been? How was the second treatment going?

18. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 23:30:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it's going ok? Hard to know when I can't find the enemy! I have had one (maybe two - not sure about one on my back) bites in three nights which is a decrease for me - thank you for asking! My current paranoia is my youngest was in the car with me for 40 minutes tonight and has some kind of skin reaction going on above her elbow. I'm terrified we somehow got them in the car although my pco says unlikely. I plan on getting it steam cleaned but haven't done it yet. I have my two girls in my bed and my older daughter caught me flaslight examining the little one so I stopped cause she thinks I'm crazy......and she's right. Sighhhhhhh

Are things still looking good for you after second treatment? I hope so!!!!

19. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 23:37:32
    #

Login to Send PM

And I know skin reactions are not something that means anything. I'm just so sleep deprived over the last few weeks I am having a hard time talking myself down, sighhhhh

20. bedbuggedinAR

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 0:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I am definitely I felt feeling this post! We had first treatment Thursday. I am
    Catching a lot of nymphs... unfed nymphs. I keep it dark in the room and then check at night. Witching hour seems to be around 9PM. The devils aren't dying. They are crossing at least two poison barriers and they aren't dying at all. SIGH. I am moving in 20 days and they are NOT COMING WITH.

21. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 14:13:08
    #

Login to Send PM

My second treatment went really well. I'm not seeing any evidence except one dead bug near my baseboard last week. No new stains on my mattress, no live bugs.

I woke up this morning with a MASSIVE welt on my arm. It's huge! But I play outdoor soccer and who knows what could have munched there last night.

I'm more of a realist. I know that things take time to work. Just because the bugs cross the poison doesn't mean they INSTANTLY die. I've been doing my diligence of vacuuming my mattress (not my floors my PCO recommends not doing that after treatment for 2 weeks).

It's pretty rare to get bugs in your car. It took me a LONG time to think this way but if I've done the steps of treating my bag with heat, wearing clothes that are clean and from my bag and not sit on anything before leaving - the odds of me carrying them anywhere are so low. Cars also get pretty hot in the summer too. But I know that the paranoia is hard to overcome. It took me three weeks and I stopped reading everyone else's stories and focussed on my 'right now'.

I dunno if you've found this. But I've noticed that my old bites flare up and get itchy every now and again.

It sounds like things are going well!

22. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 15:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

My daughter's arm was fine this morning. I did not really think she had gotten bit since she is a strong reacter and this was just a little bumpy area - which she is known to get. I got bit twice last night so they are still out there. I look in the middle of the night but I CANNOT find anything. So frustrating. I am worried that they are living somewhere that does not require them to cross through the chemical or maybe parachuting onto the bed!!!

My pco is so encouraging though and keeps reminding me it is a process. We had them for at least a month before I realized what was happening, so I know there are a lot to take care of and that the residual takes time. And yes, my bites do flare up! And even my youngest daughter - who got bit up in her bed before I realized what is going on - is still itchy! And her bites are all healed. I have found though that just some lotion is enough for her now. I feel like this is the summer we lost to bed bugs! Girls are back in school now and I just had so little energy to do fun stuff cause I was spending so much time dealing with this bug issue!

Such good advice to stop reading other stories and focus on your own situation. I really need to do that. My friend wants to put parental controls on my phone and keep me off the internet lol.

23. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 20:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. The amount of sleep lost is quite hard, but I spoke to a therapist and it helped put things into perspective. So I share her advice here for free

I did find one dead bug. Probably the one who bit me last night. So back to square one with bites. I was up to almost 3 weeks. But still. A dead bug is better than a live bug in my opinion.

But yeah. Keep doing you. Things ARE looking up slowly but still looking up

24. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 22:10:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Anxious- I saw a therapist today myself! These bed bugs have me batty! Three weeks is great progress followed by a dead bug find is also great news!

Bedbuggedinar- I'm sorry I meant to respond to your post that the nymphs aren't dying. My pco explained to me that the residual chemicals take time to kill them. So the fact that they are out and about is a good thing. They will drop dead eventually. Such a process! My pco keeps telling me we have lots of time for the remaining bugs to die. But my left arm they feast on the most begs to differ! Wearing long sleeves in summer cause I look crazy!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,575 posts in 43,048 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234