I found this at walmart

(129 posts)
  1. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 10:58:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I found bed bugs the second week in January. Any way thank goodness I found them when i did. They were in the headbord of my water bed. The headboard is history. The spray I found was at walmart called Hot Shot the active ingredient is Lambda-Cyhalothrin 0.03% this has worked for me so far. Haven't seen any for almost 3 weeks. Most important is it Was only 2.99 a bottle. It is not labeled for bed bugs but when I did research online found it's great for bed bugs.

2. scaredandstressed

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 12:04:12
    #

Login to Send PM

When the PCO was @ my apartment doing my 3rd treatment one of the maintenance workers @ my complex told me he used hot shot years ago to get rid of bb's that was in his mattress.The PCO said he wouldn't advise using that .

3. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 12:18:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I read the directions and followed them throughly. You have to let it dry completly before you can let humans and animals around it. I just closed up the room and opened the windows for the day. It does not smell or stain. I read that it is the ingredient in Demand that is used for bed bugs. These things freak me out. I could not afford a PCO. So I found this it has worked for me. I should say so far.

4. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 12:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I should say that my bed is a waterbed so I was not treating a mattress. Just the frame and surrounding area.

5. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 12:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

bed bugs in colorado,

I believe that although a pesticides is not labled for bed bug it can still work on bed bugs. The last treatment the PCO used Whitemire BP-300 which was not labled for bed bug but I think it was the icing on the cake.

Could you give us the exact name and is it a spray?

Thanks

6. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 13:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it is a spray it is called Hot Shot it's active ingredient is Lambda-Cyhalothrin 0.03% other ingredients 99.97% dosen't say any more on that. I normally don't like to use chemicals but I hate these bugs. I was getting eaten alive my bites have all healed so so far I'm happy with it.

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 10:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.
    Any comments on this product by professionals or by anyone?

8. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 14:26:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I just did my bi-weekly check and I have not seen a trace of bed bugs. I think this spray is doing the trick. Also still no bites. whoo who!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 18:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

hi bed bugs in colorado,

you said, "It is not labeled for bed bugs but when I did research online found it's great for bed bugs."

Could you point us to some of your research that showed it was great for bed bugs?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. pleasenotme

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 20:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

11. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Feb 18 2008 22:24:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes,
    I have read that in the study NBOM posted awhile back as well.It was 1 of the chemicals they tested on bb's and actually 1 of the top 2 to give quick kill and residual.That study was the one that said would not deter them from harborages with feces,remember? It's the same chemical that's in demand and cyonara,though probably not in the same concentration.

12. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 10:49:19
    #

Login to Send PM

What I did was a search on the chemicals that they use to kill bed bugs. I wrote them down then went shopping. I was really surprised to find it that easy. When I got home I typed in the ingredients and used to kill bed bugs and got back several results. so far it has worked for me. I did not have a major infestation they had made thier nest in my headboard. That was trashed right away. I know I was very very lucky.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 11:10:12
    #

Login to Send PM

BBiC,

Yes, you probably caught it early and it was fairly localized. Don't rest yet--we know that even though they tend to congregate, entomologists tell us some will venture out, wandering away and starting new harborages. I'd keep vigilant, keep clothing bagged, etc. for a good while longer, but I hope they are indeed gone.

14. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 11:24:57
    #

Login to Send PM

oh I don't rest I still do daily checks of every thing. My bedroon is so empty. Actually I like it this way. Things are still taped up bagged up and so on. Most important no more bites still. I had bad reactions from them.

15. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 11:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So could give us the exact name of the product, is it a spray can?

16. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 11:52:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The name on the bottle is Hot Shot. It comes in a spray bottle. You can adjust to stream or spray.

17. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 11:56:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Does it say anything besides Hot Shot? Isn't Hot Shot a brand name with lots of different pesticide spray products?

18. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 12:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I think hot shot may have a variety of products. Could you please be very specific? You may have information that can help many people. I used the hot shot roach and ant spray and it worked well.

19. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 12:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It comes in a clear spray bottle like a windex bottle. the label is blue it says, Kills on contact up to 9 month control indoors, Home Insect control clear formula No odor Non staining Kills roaches ants spiders & other listed insects. Bed bugs was not one of them. The back label says made in the USA. Distributed by Spectrum Group.Div of United Industries Corp P.O. Box 14642, Saint Louis Mo. 63114-0642 There was no phone #.I found it on the shelf where you buy indoor pest control. Hope this helps I will try to post a pic of the bottle later.

20. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 12:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all that info, BBC!

21. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 12:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem. Hope it helps

22. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 15:22:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Pleasehelp: "Does it say anything besides Hot Shot? Isn't Hot Shot a brand name with lots of different pesticide spray products?"

Ah, this explains why the can of Hot Shot I bought at Wal-Mart last night doesn't have the ingredients BBinCO lists. It was the only Hot Shot product this Wal-Mart had, though.

23. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 15:45:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I just dug out an old can of Hot Shot Roach & Ant spray (green can). Also distributed by Spectrum Group.Div of United Industries Corp P.O. Box 14642, Saint Louis Mo. Telephone:1-800-917-5431. Its active ingredients are Prallethrin .025% & Lambda-Cyhalothrin 0.01%... Haven't tried it for bbs yet.

24. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 15:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Fightorflight

If i remember correctly you are in colorado also. I live in the Denver metro area got mine at the Walmart on Tower and I-70 maybe you can find it there still.

25. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 15:52:56
    #

Login to Send PM

LtDan, Did your hot shot ant & roach spray seem to have a residual effect?

26. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 16:58:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been checking the checmical out online and it seems like it is a promising one for bed bugs. I'm interested to hear what any of out resident bug people/PCO's think of using this for BB's.

I'm still siftung through a lot of stuff after doing a search for it.

The main comapany that makes Hot Shots is Spectracide. It seems it is also available under this and some of their other names (Spectrum) depending on where you are.

Both Sepctracide and Hot Shots have their own homepages. I'm not sure if I should post a link as I don't want it to seem like I'm pushing them.

The name of the product though is Home Insect Control Clear Formula (like BB's in Colorado said). If you type it in on Hot Shots homepage it will give you a link to it with a picture of the bottle.

27. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 17:02:51
    #

Login to Send PM

pleasehelp, Yes hot shot ant and roach did but I used it for ants and roaches with a couple of roach baits it seems to have
    taken care of the problem.

bed bugs in colorado, I have the stuff for a while. I bought mine at Home Depot and it came in a large bottle marked indoor/outdoor. I use it outside around the perimeters of my house and shoot it up into the wood beams in my basement ceilings. Has no odor that I can tell. I will try it inside someday. The only question I have is it seems to have I think a low percentage of
    Lambda-Cyhalothrin 0.03%. I think that my PCO used 3% and up but I could be wrong about that if that seems too high.
    This is good information and I believe that it is worth a shot especially that it has worked for you.

28. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 17:36:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll tell you one thing it's something I'm going to keep on hand from now on

29. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 19 2008 17:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I almost forgot to say that this site is great. I found it the day I found my bed bugs. I learned alot from it. Keep up the good work

30. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 10:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes this site is great. I check in before I even check local and world news. Actually I have lost much interest in news other than bed bug news. Regular news seem to be the same sh-- different day always.

31. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 11:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Me too! I'm addicted to this site now.

MF

32. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 11:43:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Ditto! LtDan, what upgrade steamer did you purchase, and how do you like it? Do you have any advice for what to look for in a steamer?

33. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 12:04:13
    #

Login to Send PM

pleasehelp,
    At first I used just a simple $45 Shark steamer fro Bed Bath & Beyond. I know the talk about mold but I move pretty quickly and my house is dry in the winter and in the summer I use AC and after the thousands I spent on fighting bbs I have a hard time buying a $500 steamer so I take a chance which for me I think is minimal. I later bought a $75 steamer from same place but I forget the name. It is more of a garment steamer. I use both now. What I do suggest is that you use the attachment that looks like a small flat mop, it distributes the heat better and you can touch it against fabric. Maybe someday I will buy a more expensive steamer because I believe that the bb population is spreading in this country and the war will not be over anytime soon.
    One thing to note that I burned myself once with the nozzle while it was not pumping out steam, it burned me through a thick cotton sweatshirt so I do know that it is hot. The way I see it is the world is far from being perfect and we do the best that we can
    with what we have and what we can afford to buy.
    I suggest researching steamers and see if you can find info on mold possibilities that is if you can find info that is not published by a company that produces expensive steamers.

34. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 14:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

OK so back on topic. I found Hot Shot Home Insect Clear Formula at (believe it or not) Walgreen's of all places. They only have the large size though (1 gal) at $8.99. My couple weeks of being bite free are over I fear as I found 2 new bites in locations I have never had any before.

I had been waiting to mop for fear of cleaning up any residual from the last treatment with suspend about 2 1/2 weeks ago (I was out of town for a week). It's the last treatment the LL would do. I'm still going to contact the lawyer and see how she wants to proceed.

I'm going to give the Hot Shot a try as it is evident that 3 treatments and my additional dusting of the walls/outlets/floorboards (not the walls themselves but behind the outlets) has not worked. Of course the crazy lady who won't let them treat her place isn't helping any.

What's the worse that can happen? I still get bitten which is happening anyway. I don't recommend self treating if there is anyway to avoid it. I'm just trying to make it until the end of my lease (June 1st) then do vikane in a uhaul and get out of here.

Hopefully this will help to at least minimize getting bitten. Thanks for the info on this BB's in colorado.

35. completelybuggedout

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 16:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I just went to Wal Mart and bought Hot Shot....I will try it out and see how it goes and report back my findings later! Thanks for the suggestion!

36. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 17:07:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope that it works for you guys. I think it has for me. I do a check every day and probably will for a while. I really hate these bugs. Not a sign of them so far.

37. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 17:12:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, all of you using it, keep us posted on how it goes with this product!

MF

38. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 17:29:44
    #

Login to Send PM

OK so +'s and -'s . The label says no odor. Do not believe this it has an odor while it is not overpowering it does have a chemical odor to it. The sprayer on the large size that I bought does work but if you do use it be careful. It's a cheap sprayer and while it works it leaks so I would and did wear rubber gloves while applying it. I also wore a face mask to be on the safe side.

I did not leave the sprayer on the bottle as the instructions mentioned. It leaked even when the sprayer was hooked on the bottle like it said to do. I removed it cleaned it and resealed the bottle with original cap.

It took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to dry completely. I did the bedroom first then closed the door and let it dry. Then did the living room and kitchen and am now in the bedroom with the door closed. I left all windows open and the ceiling fans on (I'm in florida so this was no problem).

I don't think I'd stay in the place being sprayed without being able to open the windows.

Hopefully it will work as well for me as it did for bb's in colorado.

39. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 17:41:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I also wore gloves and a face mask when I sprayed it. Yes I noticed a smell but It wasn't over powering thats why I opened up the windows and just let the room sit for awhile I didn't care how cold it was. Just wanted the bugs gone. I'm sure it dosen't stain I have sprayed it on carpet and walls with no problems

40. pleasehelp

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2008 22:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

LtDan, thanks for sharing your steamer info!

41. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 21 2008 16:40:15
    #

Login to Send PM

BBinCO - I truly hope you stay bug free.

Not to minimize your problem at all, but it's just amazing to me how some people get multiple professional treatments, move mountains in their prep work, get rid of almost all their earthly possessions and still can't get rid of the suckers; while others, including friends of mine, do a few intense days of home treatment, with maybe one product and have success! I think it must just be luck (combined of course with a bunch of other, very real, factors).

This is not something most people (except me) readily bring up in conversation, but I've noticed that once you start talking about this fiasco the stories start coming out of the woodwork, so to speak. Turns out that very close friends of mine brought bugs back to their apartment in VT after economizing by staying at a hotel in Queens. My friends encased their mattresses and bug-bombed(!) their bedroom and declared victory back in September.

I just don't know what to make of stories like that.

And oh yeah, per LtDan et al, I check this site daily - as if you couldn't tell. Well, my counselor said I should get a hobby...

42. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 21 2008 16:47:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If I had a counselor, they'd say the same thing.

Seriously, I am supposed to be working right now!! lol

MF

43. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 22 2008 10:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

fightorflight

I'm a pack rat or should I say was a pack rat. I threw away bed pillows headboard side rails a chair etc. My luck was that the headboard seemed to be where they set up thier city. I tore my bedroom apart you guys know washing everything bagging vacumning.Took all of the outlets apart. It was crazy. I think when I removed the headboard the only ones I had to deal with were the stragglers. Also I live in a single family home. I think they came from a book I put on the shelf on my head board. The bites were the worse for me. My husband and I could not afford a PCO so when this spray seemed to be doing the trick with all of the other stuff I did I was so happy. I do a through check of my room every day to see if any signs of them thats why I thought It might be helpful for someone else. Oh and also my bed is a waterbed so no infested mattress to deal with. So yes alot of luck.

44. Bites44

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 22 2008 12:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

After research I found out that Cyhalothrin, ( one of the ingredients in Hot Shot,) is a pyrethroid. The natural chemical in this insecticide is from the crysanthemum, and is called a pyretheum. Pyretheums are often used in the gardens, etc, for insects and are highly toxic to bees.

A pyrethroid also known as permethrin, is a synthetic pyretheum. Pyrethroids are very common ingredients in chemicals used for bed bugs by the pest control companies. One of those that contains pyrethroid is "Tempo". Another is "Prelude". Both of the latter are used by PCO's in Alberta Canada.

There are, of course dangers to all the chemicals used against insects. Even DE which is not a chemical can be dangerous to the lungs, and I know at least one person who is highly allergic to it. (I have used only DE extensively in my home and believe that my bb's are gone, but am waiting for another 3 or 4 weeks before I speak about it (touch wood sort of thing)

It seems to me that Hot Shot would be effective against bed bugs in the home. However, I would be very careful with it, do a lot of research on how to use it, and also be aware of the dangers, especially to children.

Having said all that I am going to do more research, and then perhaps buy some. And pass on the information to friends that have bb's.

Thanks for the tip!!!!

45. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 22 2008 12:54:00
    #

Login to Send PM

My children are grown so thank goodness I didn't have to worry about that. I do have a dog and cat though they were banned from the room. I do use extreme caution when I spray.I hope people who are trying this are also. I wouldn't want anyone trying my suggestion to be harmed. Best wishes to everyone!!

46. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Feb 23 2008 5:14:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Bites44 - Interesting, when I was looking into insecticides for bedbugs, I found a recommendation for an insect & lice killer. I couldn't find the brand recommended, but I purchased a very similar lice & mites killer. It contained pyrethrin & permethrin, I don't know in what amounts. I bought it with the notion that, as formulated, the pyrethrin is a contact killer and the permethrin is a residual. Would this be similar, then, to Bedlam?

Caveat: Purchase of these kinds of pesticides is intended as an adjunct, not a replacement, to professional treatment.

47. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Feb 23 2008 9:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Lt. Dan--

Do you mind if I copy your blurb, above, about your steamers and paste it into the steamer thread I started? called 'let's talk steamers."

48. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 27 2008 14:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a little up date. Did my daily check this morning found nothing but a bunch of little dried up stuff no sign of anything alive. No more bites either. So to date I think with everything else I did the spray has worked for me. Maybe one of these days I will not have to check everything anymore. But will probably continue because I don't want these things ever again. Good luck to all.

49. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 17:33:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So a quick update. It's been 2 weeks. I just did the 2nd treatment a few days ago. I'm spacing them out 10 to 12 days apart. Has it worked? Hmm, mixed results. I have still gotten bitten just not like I used to.

Remember I am in a six unit building that had 3 treatments (after months of the LL doing very little about it) with one tenant refusing to be treated. My objective at this point is just to make it the end of my lease with (hopefully) a minimum number of bites.

So in effect I am not trying to rid the building of them but try to keep them to a minimum in my own place. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE DO THIS. I'm tired of fighting with the LL I just want to move out have my things vikaned and get way from this LL & building.

I'll go four or five days and then get a bite or 2. No more no less. So for know I would say yes it's working. My neighbor thinks she is also again being bitten again but isn't sure as she said the bites seem smaller and less numourous than before. We will keep each other updated and if need be go back to the lawyer.

Most likely the LL will do 3 treatments again and then a few weeks without bites and with the one tenant refusing the treatments we will once again start getting bitten.

3 more months of this (expletive)!!!

50. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 17:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry meant to ask this.

BB's in colorado and completelybugged how are things going on your ends with the Hot Shots?

51. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 18:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello IveBeenBugged,

I have had great results with the spray I'm down to spraying every 2 weeks. Still do daily inspections though. When I first started using the spray I did it like every 4 days I know that it was over kill but I could not take the bites anymore I was going crazy. Any way not a single bite or live bug to be seen. But like I stated I really do think I found these things early so my infestaion was light. Glad to hear it helped some. I was out looking at my headboard the other day which by the way has been sitting out in the snow since first week in January. I could not believe how many of them were in there of course all frozen to death bugs and eggs. That was my first look at it since removing it. I wish I could just set it on fire. My husbands hauling it off this weekend after he demolishes it. Best of luck to all.

52. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 19:54:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a thought but you may want to spray the headboard. It's my understanding that the bugs have been known to survive cold tempatures for lengthy times. They may just be in a hibernative state.

Seems like a good precaution even if they appear dead and unresponsive. I think your husband should also be careful demolishing it. If they are not dead he may well bring them back in on him unknowingly from the demoing and hauling.

Sorry I seem to be in a forboding mood today.

Glad to hear your doing ok.

53. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2008 9:54:42
    #

Login to Send PM

bed bugs in colorado,
    I would not count on the freezing method I have heard too much info that the bbs can be frozen for long periods of time and still live. I would steam the bastards.

54. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2008 10:31:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Actually I would rather burn it. But instead I sprayed it. Glad it will be gone.

55. cisc00003

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 1:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I just read all the posts on hot shot... but i had not heard of it until today when i went to the General Dollar Store and saw it (last bottle) on the shelf. I read the label and recognized the chyla stuff in it...i remembered seeing that in my wanderings thru this site and others and thought..hmmm i wonder if this would help....i contemplated this purchase for a few minutes then decided to take a chance. I was thinking i might do my car with it when i am ready for the "big attack"... I just thought it was so cool that on a chance i got the last bottle in town and just discovered my bb problem one week ago. Altho did know it was bb until 2 nights ago...was and am suffering horrid bites...any ways thanks for the info..this site is the bomb....yes the bug bomb!!!!

56. completelybuggedout

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 6:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't quite say definatively on my side what the Hot Shot may have done simply because I wasn't able to treat my bedroom at the same time as the other rooms. That being said, the last bites received in my house were the day after I sprayed the Hot Shot, and the bites occured in my room (the one untreated). After the bites I sprayed in my room and nothing since. We did have another PCO treatment, but that was almost 3 weeks after I sprayed myself. All I can say is something happened, too bad I can't really say what lol.

57. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 16 2008 8:00:41
    #

Login to Send PM

An update. Just to remind everyone I am in a six unit building that we had to force the LL into treating. One tenant refused treatment and now the bugs are coming back (gee I wonder from where?). The LL will pay for no more treatments.

I have been using the Hot Shots and after talking with my immediate neighbor I will say they must be keeping them dowm in my unit. She is getting bitten a lot more than I am. I still get bitten but only randomly and not more than 1 to 3 bites when I do.

Will it continue to work? I have my doubts I think right now I am only keeping them at bay. I have also been dusting the walls (behind the outlets and behind the walls) every couple of weeks.

If your in an apartment or have adjoining walls with another building that has them I think it will only help reduce your exposure but will not rid you of them.

A PCO is still the best way to go to me. Once I am recuperated (another post of mine) I think I will be trying Phantom until the end of my lease. I'd hate to think they have become immune to the Lambda-Cyhalothrin in the hot shots.

I don't think the LL will do anything since I am moving the end of May anyway. It took 3 months just to get him to do something the first time and that was only after 3 of us in the building had a lawyer threaten him with withholding the rent in escrow.

Sonething I will be doing again once I am recuparted.

58. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 4:56:23
    #

Login to Send PM

IBB - what are you dusting with? DE?

59. traumatized00

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 21 2008 18:11:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs in Colorado-Are you still bb free? I hope so. Did anyone on this site ever wrapped up there couch are chair with heavy-duty plastic? If so was it useful? I keep finding dead bb’s under my recliner. I do get minor bites sometimes from that chair. Nothing like I use to get, now that I am spraying with Hot Shot and I have an exterminator. Should I just throw away expensive furniture?

60. traumatized00

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2008 2:02:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this on the Internet. Has any one ever used this before? If so, was it helpful? I am still looking for a quick fix for bed bugs. I am passed desperate.
    Bayer Advanced Home
    Kills: Ants, Bedbugs, Cockroaches, Fleas, Spiders and other listed pests, (plus reduce germs).
    1 Gallon Home Pest Control
    Active Ingredients:
    Sodium O-phenylphenate: 0.30% B-cyfluthrin 0.05%
    $8.97

61. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2008 14:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Be very careful.

Someone pointed out another Hot Shot item which is a Flea Killer Plus Fogger and an ento I consulted said this would be a bad idea as far as bed bugs are concerned. We know foggers are generally a bad idea where bed bugs are concerned. Just be aware Hot Shot is a brand, not a product.

62. traumatized00

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2008 22:24:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bayer Advanced Home is a spray for insects, not fogger. Just thought I'd asked if anyone used it before.

63. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2008 9:11:15
    #

Login to Send PM

traumatized00,
    Try steam.

64. bed bugs in colorado

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2008 11:38:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,

Yes I am still bed bug free {knock on wood}. I still spray every couple of weeks and do the search every day. I went to purchase more spray and it has a new name from the same company though now it's called Bug Stop I am just glad it works. Best wishes to all.

65. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2008 18:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

fightorflight yes it's a DE based product that I am dusting with.

Sorry it took a while to post an answer but I had made a promise to someone to take a break from the bed bug thing in general (I was getting just a wee bit psycho about it all).

bed bugs in colorado did you get the Hot Shots at Walmart again?

It's still named Hot Shot Home Insect Control Clear Formula on the Walgreens website and in their stores. Just wanted to let everyone know that it now goes by 2 names for the same product.

Check the label and make sure it has Lambda-Cyhalothrin 0.03% on the label for the actibe ingredient.

66. traumatized00

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2008 22:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

This web site is more helpful than exterminators are in my City. Thanks for telling me to encase all mattresses. I do not see any bugs in the bedrooms any more, although it’s been 5 days. I feel like they are inside of the box spring starving, since they cannot drink my blood anymore. I’m still working on the living area, Every few days I find dead bb under my chair. I placed a sheet over the chair this weekend to keep them from biting me. I was lucky I didn’t get any bites. I did find a small reddish brown bb in our computer room. I was wondering how did it get there? It had to crawl a long way, or it hitched a ride on one of us. My gosh I hope not. Gives me the willies to think about it. I finally feel that I might win the war with these bbs. Although I am still scared to invite my family over. I fear for them or what they might say.
    Anyway thanks for all the help. I had an expensive terminator company tell me to send all my bedding to the cleaners. I have been washing our bedding in hot water 2 to 3 times a week. I think that’s better than sending to the cleaners. Too much trouble and it takes the risk of those things crawling in the car or the people who has to clean them. I could go on, but I don’t like to type much.

67. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2008 8:04:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Traumatized,
    I'm glad things are going well.It takes persistence but it will pay off.Getting rid of these monsters is not easy,but doable.Doing the comforters and bedding yourself is the best way to go.Apparently nowadays dry cleaning is little more than washing in cold water,due to envirmental concerns.The chemicals that they used to use are not used by many anymore.Definately safer from a bb perspective to do it yourself!Good luck.

68. traumatized00

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 19:23:48
    #

Login to Send PM

After encasing mattresses, do you still need to have pco spray the mattress? I couldn’t find this answer in the FAQ’s. Thanks

69. traumatized00

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 19:27:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bugbasher. The more you know, the faster you can beat these devil bugs.

70. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2008 5:54:14
    #

Login to Send PM

As for the insecticide, IBB and all are right - it goes under different marketing packages, just check the active ingredients. Yes, I did buy some at Wal-Mart (for the space capsule I'm stocking) in a clear Windex container, but with Spectracide, not Hot Shots, packaging.

IBB - I understand. I am starting to take breaks, too, finally.

71. imscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 7 2008 5:59:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, I have a few question. I don't know If I have bedbugs but I'm really freaked out and can't sleep. I'm also a teenager. I have to buy my own stuff, my parents just doesn't care and won't understand because they're immigrants and they'll just tell me to clean up my room. [its true :-P] Which I do, just recently [not even a week yet] I clean up my room with Pinesole ( I think thats the brand but something with a P) mopping my room. washed my sheets and pillow! but today around 5:00 A.M I laid on my bed messing with my camera with the lights on and then suddenly when I got off the bed I saw a bed so I killed it. Can I have bedbugs if I don't have a bed frame? http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2616/sddcn9.png I've been itching for the past few days, but I only had 2 bites its on my arm. Can it be? thanks for your time!

72. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2008 7:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Imscared,
    Tell your parents again,make them listen.Did you save the bug you killed? If you see anymore grab them with scotch tape and show your parents.Please don't assume your parents are ignorant because they're immigrants! A lot of peolpe are ignorant about these bugs,because most of us thought bb's were a saying,not a very real bug.Do you live in an apartment? If so the LL may be responsible to treat depending on where you are.These bugs are becoming a problem a lot of places right now,movie theatres,schools,public transportation just to name a few.They can multiply at a good rate,but not everyone reacts to the bites,so try and find one for id and talk (your parents) to the LL about getting a pco in.Don't bother trying to deter them from biting you,at this time there isn't anything that works,you have to get rid of them.Check the pictures on the blog as for signs to look for and go to the faq's for ways to treat your clothing and such while getting a pco to treat your home.Only leave the house when you are wearing clean (washed in hot water or dried on hot) clothing so you don't spread them.They can hitchike on your clothing and infest others.Good luck and keep us posted,ok?

73. imscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2008 22:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I did not mean to say my parents are ignorant. I've told my father the other day we just told me to clean uup again. and no have not save the bug and we also live in a house. just recently about 20 mins ago my sister had a bit on top of her eye when she was laying down to sleep. and the past few days I've been itching and getting these small Tiny bites, even when sitting here typing I feel as something is bitting me... what could this be? I also have a question.. how do I get bedbugs? oh just thought i mention i've had my bed for about along time now and just recently i've found myself itching.
    this is also the bug i mention on my other post which i've killed.
    http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7086/sddyv6.png

74. imscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2008 18:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry, just to add. I've told my mother today she told me to throw away my mattress and buy a new one. Should I go ahead and throw it away? Or buy one of the bedbugs cover? will that work? I haven't decide. I have to buy my own stuff which my mother will chip in. thanks for your time.

75. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2008 2:50:20
    #

Login to Send PM

imscared - It is very unlikely that Just throwing away your mattress will solve your bedbug problem if you have one, as too many people on this site have attested. For now, save your money while you develop a more thorough, coherent plan of investigation and attack.

76. imscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2008 11:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks, last night when I head to bed and today when I woke up I didn't feel as if anything is bitting me anymore, at least not like them other days. i'm heading to walmart today to buy the product you guys have posted, i'll keep you guys posted ^^ thanks for reading.

77. imscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Apr 16 2008 16:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

hey guys, i was sorta curious, reason i'm asking is that since the bug sucks bloods- the previous comment i have post is the bug which I've killed. i sorta slam it with a text book on my sheets, i didn't spot any bloods. but a green brownish gut sorta. bedbug or not?

78. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Apr 18 2008 8:06:42
    #

Login to Send PM

imscared,
    I just had a look at your photo,that is not a bed bug.It has a neck area for one thing,where bed bugs are round with not discernable neck.It could be some other type of biting pest that is not a true parasite,or depending on where you are located some type of parasitic bug.I would take the actual bug to an exterminator in your area for ID.Good luck

79. rolakyng

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 10 2008 12:49:56
    #

Login to Send PM

80. Scarafaggio

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 10 2008 21:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Lambda-cyhalothrin is an alpha-cyano-pyrethroid.

In greatly oversimplified terms, cyano-pyrethroids are one class of synthetic pyrethroid.

Synthetic pyrethroids are a group of chemicals designed to mimic pyrethrum.

Pyrethrum is a naturally-occurring chemical that is found in varying concentrations in chrysanthemum species, and has been used as an insecticide for many years.

Over the years, various groups of synthetic pyrethroids have been developed because of the scarcity of natural pyrethrum, its cost, and the fact that many insects are resistant to it. Cyano-pyrethroids appeared on the scene in the mid-1980s. Three of the earlier examples were cypermethrin (Demon, Cynoff), fenvalerate (Pyrid and many other trade names), and cyfluthrin (Tempo).

What makes cyano-pyrethroids different is that they contain a CN (cyanide) side chain. I am told (because although I have studied some chemistry, I am not a chemist) that when an insect attempts to metabolize the molecule, the CN is freed. This allows cyano-pyrethroids to be effective even against insects that have developed some measure of resistance to pyrethrins in general.

As a group, cyano-pyrethroids are considered moderately toxic, moderately allergenic, and moderately to highly irritating to humans. Most professional concentrations are classified as Category 2 (moderately toxic) and carry a WARNING label. Pre-diluted consumer formulations may carry a WARNING or a CAUTION label, depending on the product and concentration.

Although it's important with any insecticide, it's particularly important not to mix cyano-pyrethroids with any other chemicals unless you are certain that it's safe to do so. In particular, avoid mixing cyano-pyrethoids with organophosphates; and especially never mix them with DDVP.

As a side note, I was around when the first cyano-pyrethroids were released to PCOs. They took the industry by storm at first. Cypermethrin in particular was hailed as God's gift to exterminators because of its remarkable (and I do mean remarkable) effectiveness against the German cockroach, which was our bread-and-butter pest back then.

But the speed with which the industry adopted cypermethrin was matched only by the speed with which cockroaches became resistant to it. It usually takes decades for resistance to develop to a point that a product is no longer used against a particular pest. With cypermethrin, we started to get reports of resistance within the same year it was released. Nowadays, I don't know anyone who still uses it for German roaches (although it does have other uses for which it is still effective).

The moral of the story is that although lambda-cyhalothrin may be promising, there are no panaceas, and there are no substitutes for skillful application and proper non-chemical control measures. Chemicals come and go, but insects live on. With bedbugs, perhaps more than any other pest, the chemical itself is secondary to the skill with which it is applied and the degree to which non-chemical measures also are performed.

-Scarafaggio

81. Aris

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 6 2009 23:16:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Very interesting thread.
    I wish I had seen this a few months ago.

You can order a 128-ounce jug of Hot Shot Home Insect Control Clear Formula Ready-To-Use for $7.50 + shipping at the Lowe's website. (And for you NY'ers, it appears to currently be in stock at the Lowe's in Brooklyn.)

82. soberboy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2009 14:07:54
    #

Login to Send PM

bed bugs in colorado - 1 year ago  » 
    I found bed bugs the second week in January. Any way thank goodness I found them when i did. They were in the headbord of my water bed. The headboard is history. The spray I found was at walmart called Hot Shot the active ingredient is Lambda-Cyhalothrin 0.03% this has worked for me so far. Haven't seen any for almost 3 weeks. Most important is it Was only 2.99 a bottle. It is not labeled for bed bugs but when I did research online found it's great for bed bugs.

I found another spary with same content from ACE Hardware in $4.99 and applied it 3 times (in a weeks gap,before sparying first do thotough vacuuming)on my furniture affected by bed bugs. It worked very well.After first 2 rounds I saw only couple of bed bugs and after 3rd round I see no more.
    Good luck.

83. 3rdfriggintime

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 21:05:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I've survived these bloodsuckers twice now and am preparing for a third time. I lived at my brother's house about 12 years ago when he awoke to something crawling over him and had blood on his arm (must have squished one). His waterbed (bed bugs like heat) was full of what we later found to be bed bugs..I didn't think they existed until then. We also found a lesser amount in my waterbed. After alot of internet research, we found that they could be beat by spraying all baseboards, matresses, and crevises with a product containing pyrethins and fogging with the same. We did this with a spray product from Home Depot manufactured by a company called Safer and I forget who made the fogger. It worked but we still couldn't sleep so we called in an exterminator who agreed we had won and charged us about $500. That was the last until about a year ago my wife and I came home to our house after a vacation in NH. We actually had felt the bugs on us in the hotel that night but felt we could be safe as we kept our clothes away from the beds and immediately washed all clothes in non chlorine bleach upon return. My wife was a little less cautious and tossed a bag on the couch. I like to sleep on the couch some Sat nights (It's like camping after coming in late and found I was again getting bitten...I did more research. We threw the couch, recliner, and chair out on the back porch for two nights where it was rain free and below freezing. End of problem again....

We returned from a nice hotel in NH a couple of weeks ago and I awoke today to my 2nd and 3rd itchy bite. I haven't been able to find anything at Home Depot so I stopped in at a Lowes. I found that HOT SHOT IS NOW SELLING A BED BUG AND FLEE SPRAY AND A BED BUG AND FLEE FOGGER, both containing Pyrethins....YAHOO! It appears to be isolated to our bedroom right now so the plan is this weekend to close the room after spraying and fogging. I'll tilt the mattresses against the walls, open all drawers and make sure that all clothes will be exposed to the fog. We'll know if they are gone if we get no more bites. I have heard that some people do not show signs of the bites but we certainly do now (we didn't originally). My wife will be sleeping on the couch until afterwards and I'll stay in the room as the bait until then. These buggers are known to move to other areas if they cannot find a host. They are also not known to carry any diseases. We'll have to wash all exposed clothes afterwards but I'm confident that we'll beat them again. We are seriously considering never staying in another hotel again. Another tip I've learned from another couple who went through this in their log cabin home. Do not allow bird nests to be built that contact your home. Bed Bugs like these, not that they feed from the birds but I believe because they are warm. They then find an entry point into your warmer home. Hope this helps someone else.

84. Bitten in Brooklyn

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 28 2010 22:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

traumatized00 - 2 years ago  » 
    I found this on the Internet. Has any one ever used this before? If so, was it helpful? I am still looking for a quick fix for bed bugs. I am passed desperate.
    Bayer Advanced Home
    Kills: Ants, Bedbugs, Cockroaches, Fleas, Spiders and other listed pests, (plus reduce germs).
    1 Gallon Home Pest Control
    Active Ingredients:
    Sodium O-phenylphenate: 0.30% B-cyfluthrin 0.05%
    $8.97

So How did the "Bayer Advanced Home" work out for U was it effective!? I just picked some up. I picked up the hot shot was bit free for about 2 days now back @ it. THanx for ur help.

85. rothalion

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 28 2010 23:52:59
    #

Login to Send PM

IveBeenBugged - 2 years ago  » 
    An update. Just to remind everyone I am in a six unit building that we had to force the LL into treating. One tenant refused treatment and now the bugs are coming back (gee I wonder from where?). The LL will pay for no more treatments.
    I have been using the Hot Shots and after talking with my immediate neighbor I will say they must be keeping them dowm in my unit. She is getting bitten a lot more than I am. I still get bitten but only randomly and not more than 1 to 3 bites when I do.
    Will it continue to work? I have my doubts I think right now I am only keeping them at bay. I have also been dusting the walls (behind the outlets and behind the walls) every couple of weeks.
    If your in an apartment or have adjoining walls with another building that has them I think it will only help reduce your exposure but will not rid you of them.
    A PCO is still the best way to go to me. Once I am recuperated (another post of mine) I think I will be trying Phantom until the end of my lease. I'd hate to think they have become immune to the Lambda-Cyhalothrin in the hot shots.
    I don't think the LL will do anything since I am moving the end of May anyway. It took 3 months just to get him to do something the first time and that was only after 3 of us in the building had a lawyer threaten him with withholding the rent in escrow.
    Sonething I will be doing again once I am recuparted.

Look into Tempo which is a contact kill and repellent where as Phantom is a slow kill with a transfer agent.

86. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 2:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I cannot reiterate enough how important it is that people stop searching for the "miracle product" out on the market that will solve the bed bug issue. I am constantly bombarded with the question; "which product is better?"

The product is NOT what is important; it is how and where the product is applied that is important. It is how thorough the job is done and how much you have cooperated with the recommendations laid forth to you by the PCO. Want proof? In Canada we literally have 2-3 liquid active ingredients registered for bed bugs (all are pyrethroid based). Yet somehow we are able to solve bed bug problems ... Why? Because we are forced to not be chemical dependent (since we have so few choices), and be diligent about how and where we apply products.

There is NO QUICK and EASY solution for bed bugs. Period. Stop searching ... there are scientists and chemists in labs all over the world looking to cash in on a Silver Bullet for bed bugs - when they crack it they will make MILLIONS.

Mixing and concocting potions from existing pesticides on the market is both irresponsible and dangerous. Posting about it on forums is a recipe for disaster. Someone is going to kill themselves, and guess what ... the bed bugs will still be there.

Quit looking for shortcuts. Do the work that is needed. Hire a good PCO and listen to their recommendations.

95% of bed bug problems that cannot be solved are DIRECTLY related to the amount of effort put forward by both the PCO and the resident. It is a function of PCO quality, time, money and effort. Plain and simple.

The other 5% ... resistant populations? Re-Infestations?

Sincerely,

Sean

http://www.bedbugresource.com

87. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 3:37:44
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugresource: you can't keep recommending PCO's to people who don't have money for one! Of course it's the best (and most obvious) option, it's also the most expensive option.

Ever since I ran out of Phantom, I've been thinking about better ways to apply it and I have. I can't speak about other people's dwelling but mine isn't difficult to treat w/ Phantom. all I needed was to reduce clutter, vacuum, disinfect mattress and lay down a residual around the bed. Regardless of where the bugs are, if they come for me they are poisoned and 1-10 days later, dead. It actually worked until the residual broke down. If I hadn't have squandered it with large space application I probably would have finished the entire infestation.

88. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 10:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Zerg_Infestor - You are making my point.

I am not against a DIY approach. Since most DIYers (any some PCOs too) do NOT know what they are doing they are NOT going to solve a bed bug problem. Again, it is NOT the product choice that is important; it is how and where it is applied. This comes with years of experience, not reading articles on the internet.

You were not applying the product correctly and as such you were not succeeding.

It actually worked until the residual broke down. If I hadn't have squandered it with large space application I probably would have finished the entire infestation.

You did not read the label; or at the very least did not apply the product as per the label directions. It is intended for spot and crack and crevice application; not large spacial application.

See Pesticide Label: "DO NOT make general surface or space applications ..."
    . Find the label here: Phantom Label.

I am curious as to how long it took for the residual to stop working? Are you aware that chlorfenapyr takes 10+ days to kill bed bugs, and in some studies 21+ days? Are you also aware that you are NOT permitted to apply the product more than once every four weeks?

Are you aware that chlofenapyr is an organophasphate? That this is one of the most deadly classes of pesticides available on the market because it can cause cholinesterase inhibition in humans; that it can bioaccumulate?

Please don't take this as an attack on you, or any other DIYer. I want to make the point that NO PRODUCT is a substitution for experience and knowledge. I was merely stating why bed bug treatments fail.

Sean

89. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 11:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You were not applying the product correctly and as such you were not succeeding.

Wrong. The product was applied correctly but I did not have enough of the product. Like another poster said, he got the concentrate stuff while I got the aerosol which is more for spot/crack+crevice than space application. However it CAN be used for space application, the quantity just isn't made for it.

You did not read the label

Don't tell me what I did or didn't do. See there you go, PCO being pretentious exactly as I described. Of course I read the label. I needed the product applied in a certain way and that was how it was done. It worked, I just didn't have enough for another round of treatments.

I am curious as to how long it took for the residual to stop working?

2 weeks.

Are you aware that chlorfenapyr takes 10+ days to kill bed bugs, and in some studies 21+ days?

Yes I am aware. The kill time actually varies depending on what stage the BB is. From my observations, the bigger the BB the longer. I've seen an adult dead at 11 days which is consistent with studies so I'm inclined not to believe 21 days. The reason why it may be 21 days is b/c of a BB introduced days after an application so the time it gets poisoned is different. You can't predict the timing unless it's a controlled experiment. In controlled experiments it's 10d 9hr consistent.

Are you also aware that you are NOT permitted to apply the product more than once every four weeks?

Yes I am aware. I have not re-applied Phantom in my room/hallway/living room and I can't make a reapplication that I need b/c I ran out. I would have reapplied at the 4 week mark though just to be on the safe side. I'm not stupid you know.

Are you aware that chlofenapyr is an organophasphate? That this is one of the most deadly classes of pesticides available on the market because it can cause cholinesterase inhibition in humans; that it can bioaccumulate?

Yes I'm aware of that, I took all the safety precautions as directed on the label. All of this stuff was known by me before you even brought any of it up. You assume too much.

90. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 20:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Zerg - Don't cut my quotes short and then accuse me of being pretentious.

You did not read the label; or at the very least did not apply the product as per the label directions.

You are the one that claimed you applied the Phantom aerosol, and I quote; "If I hadn't have squandered it with large space application." And NO you cannot use the aerosol in that fashion.

However it CAN be used for space application, the quantity just isn't made for it.

And NO you cannot use the liquid residual in that fashion either Phantom Liquid Residual Label. Clearly states that it is for spot and crack & crevice applications. In fact, it clearly states on the label in bold lettering "DO NOT make general surface or space applications ..."

It also states that it is only to be applied by those with a pesticide applicators licence.

As for the rest of my post; they were questions to you ... not assumptions.

Sean

91. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 21:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Zerg - Don't cut my quotes short and then accuse me of being pretentious.

You are being pretentious. I had every reason to call you that. Let's see, you are telling me what I can and cannot do. You are making assumptions that I don't know about things that I've already done research on.

definition: pretentious: making usually unjustified or excessive claims

And NO you cannot use the aerosol in that fashion.

You can't tell me what I can and can't do. Apparently I did, and it worked. Instead of telling me what I can and can't do, tell me WHY I can't do it. Inform me instead of telling me not to do something. The way that you are coming off is elitist and pretentious. It's not sitting well with me at all.

You are the one that claimed you applied the Phantom aerosol, and I quote; "If I hadn't have squandered it with large space application." And NO you cannot use the aerosol in that fashion.

I will have you know that we have laminate flooring in our house, installed by my dad. The flooring does not extend all the way to the wall and there are gaps between the flooring and the wall. The gaps which run along the perimeter is where I put Phantom because it has been a hiding spot for the bugs.

What I meant by large space application is that I did the perimeter to my room, hallway and living room. All of that counts as a crack and therefore the applications were according to the label. Like I said, I read the label. Instead of jumping the gun and telling me what I can and can't do you could have clarified this information and talk to me in a person-to-person fashion.

You are NOT here providing me consultation as my PCO, you are another user on a forum. You have to treat me as if you're a user, not a PCO. I welcome the help, some pointers and criticisms or whatever but some of your attitude here is a social failure.

It also states that it is only to be applied by those with a pesticide applicators license.

Well it was sold to me so that's all I care about.

92. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 22:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

zerg,

I understood Sean's meaning, when he said "you can't" to mean "legally and in accordance with labeling instructions."

You should never use products outside of their label instructions or legal use.

I appreciate the presence of Sean and other pest pros on the forums, and any wisdom they can share with us regarding pesticides and their appropriate and correct use.

93. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 23:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

You know, zerg, I've tried to be patient with you. I really did. I know that you're young; and I know from nearly two decades of experience that people of a certain age (the late teens and all of the twenties) tend to move through life with a nearly imperturbable confidence in their own knowledge base. I don't know for sure that you're in that general age range, but that's my best guess.

I know that in part because I have very clear memories of being equally confident at that age.

However, a lot of the statements in this post fall into a trap. Many of the statements you make above treat your anecdotal observations as absolute facts. I'm not going to parse your post into specifics because it's clear that you're not interested in listening to anything that anyone--newbie or oldtimer, professional or amateur--here has to say if it doesn't confirm what you've already made up your mind to believe. And frankly, I have better things to do with my time than waste it trying to prove that someone is wrong on the internet.

However, for any other readers who might still be willing to listen, I want to point out the following.

Sean is a professional in the pest management industry. He has all the officially recognized bona fides that come with the professional training and experience that the state requires in order to be credentialed to treat peoples' homes to rid them of pests.

zerg_infestor is a bed bug sufferer who has read some stuff on the internets.

I know that for a lot of people,particularly in the rampantly anti-intellectual culture of the United States, charges of elitism are quick to get thrown around. There's a very long tradition in the US of many people mistrusting anyone who seems to be pretentious.

All of which means that especially people who've been burned before by bad PMP or people who generally are inclined to think that the advice to hire a PMP is some sort of conspiracy that reveals that we're in bed (metaphorically) with the pest pros are quick to assume that those of us who push professional help are doing so because of some hidden agenda.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I get that there are people who are in a tough financial situation and who cannot afford to hire a PMP. But I also know that some people who claim they can't afford to hire a PMP have enough disposable income and just think that the whole thing is a racket.

Clearly, zerg_infestor is in the former category. And zerg's case is complicated by living at home with his or her parents who own the home.

In that case, my advice would be, if zerg's a minor, to call whatever state agencies he or she can to get them to force the parents to treat. Because all the self-treatment in the world isn't going to solve the problem if the whole house isn't treated.

If not, then it's harder, but the answer still has to involve getting the whole family on board somehow. I'm not a social worker or a psychologist. I don't have the experience or the skills to give advice about how to do so; but I know enough about bed bugs to know that until that happens, chances of solving the problem are slim.

If I break my ankle, I'm not going to read on the internet how to set it myself. I'm going to hire someone who has the hands on, day to day experience of setting other peoples' ankles properly. I don't think that makes me elitist or pretentious; it makes me someone who respects the experience that others have that I don't.

There are reasons that, for example, the medical profession prohibits doctors from treating relatives in some situations. When you have a problem that requires specialized expertise to solve, unless you have years to develop that expertise, you hire someone who has it.

Yes, the fact that not everyone can afford to do so creates a boatload of problems. Clearly, laws and our social support system need to catch up to the reality of this infestation.

And zerg's case is particularly complex.

If zerg doesn't own the home, but zerg's parents do, zerg's parents are going to have to get on board with a treatment plan.

If that's not possible, then the fastest, most effective, most likely to succeed, and in the long run cheapest approach is to get the parents to hire a *good* PMP to treat the house.

(For what it's worth, I've always found that most of the PMP here don't speak in pretentious language at all. And I would think that the number of times I've been told by posters to stop using such big words, my evaluation of pretentiousness would carry some weight. Maybe not. Maybe some big meanie like me who actually evaluates how trustworthy I find posts based on a host of complex factors including but not limited to the potential bias of a person because of what I know about his or her entire background, the person's data sample size, the amount of experience the poster has in dealing with bed bugs, and, yes, even the quality of the person's writing and grammar can't be trusted because I'm clearly an elitist, pretentious something or other.)

However, I don't see anything pretentious or elitist in Sean's post. (Please note: for the record, I find ad hominem attacks to be the fastest way to get me to dismiss a person's opinion. If the poster cannot even differentiate between the posts a person makes and the person him or herself, it's a pretty good sign to me that I shouldn't bother engaging with the person in question. I'm just sayin'.)

Pretentious means that someone is putting on airs and talking down to someone in a condescending manner. What I hear in Sean's post is a clear explanation of the actual facts about the regulations for applying a chemical. What I hear in zerg's post is a lot of selective listening.

From where I sit, when you're talking about applying chemical pesticides? I'm going to listen to the person, professional or amateur, who takes the time to explain step by step why a particular kind of application might be dangerous before I take the advice of a person who declares someone who takes that time to be pretentious or elitist by providing such information.

And a post that ends with:

Well it was sold to me so that's all I care about.

pretty much sums up what I need to know.

A responsible DIY who is resorting to self-treatment as a last recourse because of financial constraints, it would seem to me, would be happy to hear advice from a PMP on how to most effectively apply chemicals. Responding to a "hey, btw, that product that you're using isn't supposed to be used by people without the credentials of a pest management pro" with that sentence seems to me to be the response of someone who may, in fact, be harboring an unstated bias against professionals in the pest management field or just professionals in general. Coupled with a post that repeatedly describes someone who took the time to share expertise as both elitist and pretentious?

Well, if this were a short story I was analyzing--you know, reading between the lines to see what the story implied as opposed to what it explicitly said?

I would infer that any text so quick to use labels like pretentious and elitist was, consciously or not, probably showing some of that anti-intellectual bias so common today. Since I don't know the person, I can only describe what the text itself gives away, and the text itself is screaming that kind of loudly to me.

I would just like to remind readers that anyone in the US has the right to post anything he or she wants. I can post that the sky is really red and that everyone who calls it blue is wrong and delusional. However, saying that won't make it reality.

When I read statements like this:

You have to treat me as if you're a user, not a PCO. I welcome the help, some pointers and criticisms or whatever but some of your attitude here is a social failure.

aside from the preponderance of you statements (which many people who study communication will tell you tend to be ineffective as communication since they are largely accusations that do a stellar job of obscuring the feelings of the person making them by projecting the author's feelings onto other people rather than the author manning up and taking ownership of his or her feelings), I can't even be sure what you mean to say--even after reading them three times.

And zerg, I just want to be clear: I teach writing for a living. I'm pretty fluent at looking at a sentence and figuring out both what the phrasing in question actually says to most readers AND what I think the writer meant to say.

I'm not sure what a PMP acting like a poster not a PCO even means. My best inference is that PCOs act, well, elitist or pretentious by daring to suggest that the hundreds or thousands of cases of bed bugs that they're seen might give them a larger data set of knowledge and expertise to draw from than someone who is fairly early on in a battle against bed bugs. From where I sit, that sentence reveals more about the bias and suspicions of its author than I think the author meant the sentence to.

I'm also not at all sure what a social failure is, exactly. I mean, I've never met Sean. But I doubt he's a bigger geek than I am. I'm betting he gets out more on weekends than I do (seeing as how I could be at parties downstairs at the conference I'm at rather than typing this up on a Sat. night). More importantly, I do know this:

I don't give a rat's posterior about what a PMP's social life is like if he or she can effectively treat a bed bug problem.

And since I benefitted tremendously from the advice on this subject given by many people on these boards who have tons of professional experience with bed bugs, I would be very, very sad to see them chased off by this attitude that crops up from time to time among a handful of posters that somehow there is some big conspiracy on the part of the pest management industry to hide the good chemicals or the magic secret to getting rid of bed bugs from the general public so that they can continue to profit off of the rest of us.

If there were a safe, effective, OTC treatment for bed bugs, I'd be singing its praises from the rooftops in a heart beat. I expect that the PMP here would, for the most part, move on to treating other pests and do just fine making a living at that.

And I just hope that those posters who are willing to listen to reason will keep those facts and arguments in mind as they wade through the various posts on these issues. I also hope that those PMP who do take time out to help people here for free will not be put off by the people with the pest management equivalent of the whole "the moon landing never happened" or "the US government crashed the planes on 9/11 themselves" of the bed bug world.

(Apologies if this is a bit disordered, but it's the third day of the conference, and I'm pretty tired by this point in the con.)

94. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 23:42:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Big hug for socal. Have a drink and get some sleep.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  95. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 0:28:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggy .. Wow !

Nobugs - Yes, I meant it is illegal when I stated "you can't use it."

Zerg - You just don't get it. We will agree to disagree. Leave it at that.

I get frustrated when I try to help and the meaning of the message is misinterpreted. I do not see anywhere in my posts where I have done anything other explain that product choice is not indicative of success in ridding bed bugs and caution people about the dangerous of doing their own pest control (and listening to DIY remedies on the internet).

For those that do know me ... They know that I do countless seminars each year. Many of which are to landlords, property owners, the general public, etc. and I will gladly tell them how to go about ridding bed bugs on their own. The fact is that a DIY approach rarely works simply because people by nature are always looking for the "quick fix." The do not follow instructions ... they over apply the pesticide, they bombard their home, they try layering products on top of other products, etc. etc. Before Zerg (or others) jump the gun and state that I am stereotyping all DIYers as those that do not listen ... I am generalizing (not stereotyping) based on 8 years of experience and observations.

I reiterate the message of my original post and added the brackets to clarify that I am not anti DIY;

The product is NOT what is important; it is how and where the product is applied that is important. It is how thorough the job is done and how much you have cooperated with the recommendations laid forth to you by the PCO (assuming they did the job or you asked their advice in a DIY manner).

I am happy to offer advice to those that are willing to have an open mind and listed to what I have to say. At the end of the day it is advice ... you can choose to take it, or leave it.

Sean

96. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 1:06:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I used the product properly and I am not a minor. I'm actually 27

I am generalizing (not stereotyping) based on 8 years of experience and observations.

Well your generalization was wrong because you said I applied it wrong but according to label instructions it was done correctly in the areas it was meant for. You didn't think to ask me the specifics of the application?

Zerg - You just don't get it. We will agree to disagree. Leave it at that.

I don't get it? *You* don't get it. I told you why I thought you were being elitist and pretentious. You assumed I didn't read the label, you assumed I didn't know about the product, you assumed I did my application wrong even though you had NO CONCRETE INFORMATION on any of these things.

Lemme break it down for ya. It's called being anti-social. The socially acceptable and nice way to say it is to ask if I read the label. Ask if I was aware about certain things about the product and it's dangers. Not sit there and say you didn't know this, you didn't know that. You handled the situation wrong and it rubbed off on me the wrong way.

About the others, they see you as a PCO and you've been here awhile. I'm a new guy and unknown. Automatically the mob mentality sides with you and regardless of what I say, right or wrong, I lose. If you took the time to listen, ask questions and clarify we wouldn't be in this argument.

97. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 2:37:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm done. I am over it. Move on.

98. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 0:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

zerg_infestor - 23 hours ago  » 
    Lemme break it down for ya. It's called being anti-social. The socially acceptable and nice way to say it is to ask if I read the label. Ask if I was aware about certain things about the product and it's dangers. Not sit there and say you didn't know this, you didn't know that. You handled the situation wrong and it rubbed off on me the wrong way.
    About the others, they see you as a PCO and you've been here awhile. I'm a new guy and unknown. Automatically the mob mentality sides with you and regardless of what I say, right or wrong, I lose. If you took the time to listen, ask questions and clarify we wouldn't be in this argument.

zerg,

I hate to break it to you, but when people here disagree with something you say, it is not because you're "new and unknown." It's because of what you're actually saying. I can't convey this as well as buggyinsocal did, so I won't try.

If you read through these exchanges, you'll see people are listening to you and asking questions. They're also basing their assessment of the situation on your statements.

If you stick around a while, you will see that plenty of us "old-timers" have disagreed in the past with Sean and other pest pros here about various issues, and will continue to do so. On the other hand, we do respect their experience in fighting bed bugs (especially experience in the use of various products and techniques).

99. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 10:43:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well isn't this timely? DIY Death.

A DIYer dies and another develops bronchitis due to incorrect pesticide application. If only they had read the label. Very sad.

Nobugs; please post this as front page news as it is SOOOOOOOO important that people understand the risks of a DIY approach.

Sean

100. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 11:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sean, over the years in posting to internet websites I've developed a taste for ripping people apart on internet forums. I don't do it just for any reason. That said, this is coming from your own source.

Health Canada Conclusion

Based on the available information, it is concluded that it is unlikely that the symptoms of paralysis, pneumonia and scarring of lung tissue, as well as the reported death, are related to exposure to the pesticide product.

One of the first things that I always question in a person's post is if they read the opposing argument and almost always they will hear what they want to hear and then twist it to be used against a person. I'm pretty used to this by now.

101. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 12:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

zerg,

You need to read the report more closely. Health Canada has to be very precise in how it describes a sitation like this.

You edited out the rest of the assessment:

The health of the individual may have been compromised from other medical issues at the time that the incident occurred; therefore, it is uncertain if the subject's medical conditions may have been exacerbated by exposure to the pesticide.

It is possible (where there is some correlation between the exposure, the pesticide and the effect) that the vomiting and chemical taste in the mouth reported in the individual that died, and the bronchitis reported in the individual that sprayed the product, were related to exposure to permethrin.

It should be noted that it is not clear what specific product was used in this case. It is also important to note that this incident involved application to a mattress, which is not an approved use for either permethrin or S-methoprene.

Bold emphasis added.

The bottom line is the older person ("the parent") had diabetes and a heart condition, but they were hospitalized (and eventually died) after exposure to the pesticides.

The younger person apparently had no pre-existing conditions and suffered from moderate bronchitits after exposure (and as the report notes, "Symptoms of overexposure to pyrethroids in general may include vomiting and irritation of the respiratory tract.")

It's important that we all read this report for its nuances.

Sean, I did a post on this just now. Thanks for alerting us to it.

102. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 15:00:31
    #

Login to Send PM

uncertainty and possibility does not equal certainty and actuality. Sorry but you can't twist any more than it can be. The conclusion already states that there is no proof that the symptoms related to death is related to the symptoms of chemical overexposure. The report clearly indicates and separates both groups of symptoms. It is written that the symptoms of death are not a proven/known result of this specific chemical.

Until you prove, or someone else proves, that without a doubt, this chemical killed this person, then none of this means anything. The report did not say that. You made that report sound the way you wanted it to.

I didn't edit or omit anything out. I highlighted the portion where it clearly states that they do not think it was the chemical that killed this person. They even listed why they came to this conclusion.

In this incident, there was no physical evidence, such as laboratory results, available to confirm that exposure to permethrin or S-methoprene had occurred.

The symptoms of vomiting and chemical taste in the mouth that the individual experienced, as well as the bronchitis experienced by the individual’s daughter, are not inconsistent with the known symptoms of over-exposure to permethrin.

However, the more serious symptoms of paralysis, pneumonia and scarring of the lung tissue as well as death are not expected to result from short-term exposure to permethrin.

they didn't even know which product they even used, they were speculating that it was permethrin because of the limited amount of publicly available products. You also have to prove without a doubt it was permethrin, in your position, that is impossible. You can speculate, sure,but it's not a fact.

It should be noted that it is not clear what specific product was used in this case.

103. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 17:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

zerg_infestor - 2 hours ago  » 
    uncertainty and possibility does not equal certainty and actuality. Sorry but you can't twist any more than it can be. The conclusion already states that there is no proof that the symptoms related to death is related to the symptoms of chemical overexposure. The report clearly indicates and separates both groups of symptoms. It is written that the symptoms of death are not a proven/known result of this specific chemical.
    Until you prove, or someone else proves, that without a doubt, this chemical killed this person, then none of this means anything. The report did not say that. You made that report sound the way you wanted it to.

I would like you to show me where I said that the chemical killed the person?
    I did not say that. You, zerg, are twisting my words. Read what I said again.

You, zerg, twisted the report, by leaving out portions as I noted.

they didn't even know which product they even used, they were speculating that it was permethrin because of the limited amount of publicly available products.

There is no basis for your statement, actually. They were not sure which product was used, but note the report was made to a particular firm, and they did know it was one of Wellmark's products containing S-methoprene and Pyrethrin. Read it again:

Wellmark International received information about an incident related to one of their products, which they submitted to the PMRA on April 29, 2010. The information contained in the incident report indicated that a product containing the active ingredients permethrin and S-methoprene was sprayed between the mattresses and on the perimeter of the floor in a person's bedroom.

Bold emphasis added.

zerg, I am not interested in debating this further. The materials speak for themselves.

And I have made it very clear I am not anti-pesticides. I am against you telling people which pesticides might be a good idea. You simply aren't qualified. (I'm not either, by the way.)

104. bedbugginNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 21 2010 20:00:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I've noticed bed bugs in my apartment about 3 weeks ago. I've been using Rest Easy (organic), but more recently I've been using Hot Shot Bedbug & Flea (pyrethrins & piperonyl butoxide).

My apartment manager brought some over for me, not knowing I had bought some already. I've used it all over the mattress, mattress encasement, headboard, bed frame, along floor & walls, and any other areas in my apartment that could be susceptible to infestation.

I believe it's been steadily working, as long as I'm using it continuously. I've noticed fewer bed bugs and bites on me. I've even found a dead hump spider beetle behind my headboard, so I believe it kills those too. I did read somewhere online where pyrethrins are used to kill hump spider beetles.

An exterminator is making a visit this upcoming week, and I should be receiving Bed Bug Powder in the mail soon. I am determined to beat this bed bug problem!

105. Guts

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 13 2010 19:34:25
    #

Login to Send PM

wow i hope this thread hasn't been killed by the bickering because i just got some Hot Shot bedbug and flea spray...
    the label doesn't say anything about keeping the room ventilated but i've opened my windows and turned on my fans just in case. im gonna try it tomorrow after my room has had a chance to air out ( i keep the door and windows closed ALOT) and i only intend use a very small amount in a few small areas around where my bed was ( my bed has been thrown out and i havent seen any or felt any bites or seen any spots since)
    I dont have alot confidence in this product after reading up on these insects but maybe it'll deter or hopefully kill 1 or 2 bugs that decide to come out of there hiding spots...

106. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 14:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Like I told you people yesterday, Hot Shot [Roach & Ant] killer kills bed bugs dead dead. I find it mighty strange reading around the Internet that other people are also having the very same success with Hot Shot [Roach & Ant] killer. The word is now getting around fast .... Don't hate the player, hate the game...(lol)

107. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 14:24:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi HITech1,

Sadly the laws of physics and chemistry have not changed over night. Nor did the EPA heed your stunning revelation and the link below is still the best advice on this subject.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/hot-shot-bug-spray-kills-bed-bugs-dead-dead-on-the-spot-a-top-secrets

You may also want to look at this:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef643.asp

And finally some of the FAQ's.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  108. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 14:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

HItech1,

Please do not continue posting your suggestion (which is not legal according to label instructions) to multiple threads.

Your original thread was not deleted (see David's link in the post directly above mine), but if you continue spamming the forums with the same idea over and over, these posts will be deleted and you will be banned.

You also have a private message.

109. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 14:44:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I just found out that the HOT SHOT company sells a bed bug spray, write them and tell them what they are selling is illegal, yeah..!

110. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 15:48:18
    #

Login to Send PM

HITech1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yeah, I just found out that the HOT SHOT company sells a bed bug spray, write them and tell them what they are selling is illegal, yeah..!

HITech1,

You are misunderstanding things.

Hot Shot sells a number of products for different uses. They are not all the same.

The product labeled for bed bugs is legal for use on bed bugs.

The product labeled for roaches and ants is not legal for use on bed bugs. You are the one recommending an off-label use of a product, not Hot Shot. Because you are recommending people use a product labeled for roaches and ants.

I would add that Hot Shot also sells a "Bed bug and flea fogger" which -- while legal for use against bed bugs -- is not recommended by people here because we have been told foggers/bug bombs can make bed bugs worse by spreading them deeper in the home, and are not likely to eliminate a bed bug problem.

111. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 16:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It's nice the way you are trying to word it now, that's not what we were talking about in the beginning. Man see the games you are playing, trying to make yourself look good...! From what I'm reading, both Hot Shot products will do the job, eradicate bed bugs from the home. People don't care about what's legal and not legal, as long as the product will not bring harm to the human kind. All I care about is what works for me 1000% bed bugs FREE... Now everbody in my apartment building is using Hot Shot bed bug spray .. Talk to you later, it's almost time for the NBA playoffs, take care....

112. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 16:19:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry but the wording has not changed and neither have the facts.

As much as you feel the products are the same the reality of US law is that with regards insecticides they are only approved for what the label says they can be used for. If the product says roaches and ants then it should only be used for roaches and ants. To either sell or recommend the use off label is an offense.

The reality is that we are actually trying to help you make sure you do not fall fowl of the law.

The second issue is about how insecticides work. In the case of bedbugs which spend most of their time hidden in cracks and crevices the aerosol nature of some products mean that they can't penetrate into these places. This was first published in the article I linked above but it is based on physics of the movement of gasses and how they mix.

Although you believe that extrapolating from your success you have a solution to share with the world an extensive search through the archives would have shown you this is not new.

Sadly this forum like others gets it's fair share of people promoting miracle cures and solutions and while we remain open to new ideas they must be supported with data that shows it reproducibly works.

I hope that explains it better.

David

113. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 16:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

See, all that you are saying cannot be true, because my place is now 10,000% bed bug FREE and I'm happy... Bed bugs don't like Hot Shot, that's a known FACT...!

114. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 16:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

You people are just like a certain group of people ten thousand years ago, they killed a man for healing people on the sabbath day [Doing Good]... They told him he could not work on the sabbath day... I see the very same mentality level here..(lol)

115. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 16:45:23
    #

Login to Send PM

To quote George Orwell in Down and Out in Paris and London

"The walls were as thin as matchwood, and to hide the cracks they had been covered with layer and layer of pink paper, which had come loose and housed innumerable bugs. Near the ceiling long lines of bugs marched all day like columns of soldiers, and at night came down ravenously hungry, so that one had to get up every few hoursand kill them in hecatombs. Sometimes when the bugs got too bad one used to burn sulphur and drive them into the next room; whereupon the lodger next door would retort by having his room sulpured, and drive the bugs back."

I sincerely hope that this does not become the case between you and your neighbours as prolonged bedbug infestations invariably result in short tempers and I would hate to think of everyone in your building coming after you like a linch mob.

Good luck.

David

116. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 17:14:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to let you know, we don't have anymore bed bugs in our building, [Thanks To Hot Shot], don't hate the player, hate the game...!(lol)

117. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 17:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

And how do you think the bedbugs got there in the first place?

How will you stop them coming again?

How are you so sure they are all gone from the whole building?

David

118. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 17:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

HITech1 - 45 minutes ago  » 
    You people are just like a certain group of people ten thousand years ago, they killed a man for healing people on the sabbath day [Doing Good]... They told him he could not work on the sabbath day... I see the very same mentality level here..(lol)

Ten thousand years ago? I have no idea what you're talking about. If it's Jesus, you have a problem with numbers ('cause it's like, um, 2011 A.D. as they used to say).

Good bye, HiTech1, time to move on.

119. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 17:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I could not tell if that was the second coming or just the usual deja-moo.

I wonder if EffeCi or KQ would be so kind as to take a look at my suspect faecal trace I found on the shroud of Turin.

David

120. Zilver

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 17:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

HITech1 - 53 minutes ago  » 

Ease up a little mate...
    If it´s Jesus your talking about yoy should realize most look upon him as a somewhat very humble person, and still he seems to have performed a few more amazing miracles than you man

Not trying to make a fool of you but these experienced PCOs here have an important point you should consider:
    Hot Shot may have been efficient for you, but there is also a risk bedbugs might run for cover in a hostile environment. Doing things wrong may then worsen the problem for you, and even worse, other persons like neighbours may also be unlucky in getting them.

If you are not just a "troll" you should at least consider the risk and be extra carefull for a while!

121. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 18:07:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if EffeCi or KQ would be so kind as to take a look at my suspect faecal trace I found on the shroud of Turin.

I should go near Turin next week, David, do you think that primates will give me the permission to take a look directly?

122. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 18:09:41
    #

Login to Send PM

HITech1 - 54 minutes ago  » 
    Just to let you know, we don't have anymore bed bugs in our building

Ehm... since when?

123. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 18:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Good try, EffeCi.

I asked a similar question in another thread and had my question ignored there too.

As I understand it, the user in question has been banned, so, alas, my burning curiosity about the time bed bug free will have to go unanswered.

C'est la vie.

124. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 18:23:17
    #

Login to Send PM

As I understand it, the user in question has been banned, so, alas, my burning curiosity about the time bed bug free will have to go unanswered.

I guess I'll survive to that...

Speaking of religion, bugs and so on, here's a funny thing I just found online...

Bugs in the Bible

125. movingandscared

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 19:18:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hhello I'm new to this blog and have some questions. We lived in an apt complex for 8 months and just got my first bedbug bite last Wednesday night and seen the little monster that bit me and killed it. My sister also believes she got bit on my couch. I called in an inspector from the city and he didn't find a bug so he couldn't do anything. Well we are moving out and started bagging up all of our stuff last night, on Tuesday. We are leaving the couch, bed and all bedroom furniture behind, well throwing it out. We are bringing clothes, kitchen table, armoir, bookshelf, framed pictures and things of that sort. I am SO afraid of bringing them with us. I plan on cleaning and drying all dirty clothes at a laundromat before bringing them to new place and just drying the clean clothes, I heard the heat will kill any. I bought some Hot Shot Bedbug and Flea Killer today. My plan was to have my husband wear gloves and a mask and wipe down all wooden furniture, than wipe again with lysol and water mixture than bringing it to the new place afrer drying for a day or so. I have an 18 month old, so I am very scared aabout the chemicals. Any advice on how to keep him safe and make sure we don't bring any with us?? Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you all and God Bless! Oh and he's wiping the furniture down outside.

126. AlongTheBoat

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 20 2011 3:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The hot-shot spray really does work!!!! My question is, how do I use it really? I know it sounds silly, but I mean, do I just spray it around the edge of my bed and other places that the bed bugs tend to travel to kill them? Do they die from that? Like it works even though there isn't any direct interaction between the spray and the parasites? If so, how often do I have to re-spray the spot until the spray wears off the effect? Please reply ASAP~~ I don't want any more BB babies... LOL!!!

127. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 20 2011 5:15:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Use the product in accordance with the label.

128. never in my life

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 29 2013 14:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

After finding and reading thru this site we have decided to give Hot Stop a try. As a stop gare, we"ve been using rubbing alchol. this seems to ward them off for a few days.

129. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 29 2013 21:12:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear folks,

The hotshot Llambdacyhalothrin containing product reportedly sold at wallyworld for just $2.99 per container was certainly a very good deal (that is depending upon the size of the jug). However, a while back wallyworld decided to not carry certain types of pesticides on their store shelves. While this would perhaps explain the extremely marked down/discounted pricing, the problem may be that this product is no longer available at this store.

pjb

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,751 posts in 31,260 topics over 95 months by 13,522 of 14,298 members. Latest: slee, Zenchess, Kristy