Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

I found one bed bug in my son's room!! We can't find any more but here's a pic!

(20 posts)
  1. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 18:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

OK!! My family and I are freaking out about these bugs! PLEASE HELP!

Here's the run down!

Two days ago, my son recently needed work on his car. He went to the local dealership and they gave him a rental car. He used the car for two days and just last night he got his car back. When he came home after work he went into his room and turned the light on and a few minutes later he called me into his room with a frightened/concerned tone in his voice. He pointed to a single bed bug that was on his wall about eye level and he said it was crawling up on it's way toward the ceiling before he killed it. He essentially squashed the bug against the wall with just enough force to kill it an have it stuck against the wall. I, being an avid photographer went to grab my camera and took the best picture I could. We looked at some pictures and it looks like a bed bug but we are not sure if it is a male or female.

Additionally, since we freaked out BIG TIME, we cleaned his entire room. I took all of his sheets off of his bed and we washed them and dried them very hot as we had heard about that on a recent news report about bed bugs. We also washed all of his clothes in his closet (again heating them until they were so hot we can barely hold them). I looked in all of the crevices in his room and could not find a single bed bug or anything that looks like the nymphs described in the pictures on this site.

The bed bug we found measures 6mm from end to end.

I am now wondering if he inadvertently picked up an unwanted passenger from the rental car he recently used or if we might have a problem but I really don't know. I used a 10X magnifier/loupe to look at the crevices in his mattress and could not find any of the black poop that you should typically see with an infestation.

On one final note, we do a lot of buying and selling on ebay, amazon, etc. and routinely (daily) receive packages from people. We typically leave them by the front door just inside the house in proximity to our shoes that we also keep by the front door.

My questions:

1.) Can someone here PLEASE let me know if the bug we found is a male or female?

2.) How long can bed bugs live in their nymph forms without a feeding?

3.) IS it common to find a bed bug in a package?

4.) Do bed bugs hide in cardboard?

5.) What can we do to clean the shoes without having to throw them away?

6.) Our trash pickup does not come for another two days and we placed all of the stuff from his room that he wanted to throw out into large plastic garbage bags and put them on the side of the house after tying the bag up with garbage ties and then using packaging tape as an added measure.

7.) Do I need to re-wash the clothes and put the clothes in bags and seal them in there or just dry them really hot and then wear them?

2. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 18:26:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you post the picture? I'm not seeing a link.

3. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 18:30:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know where to click on this site to post a pic?

4. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 18:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Can I upload to this site? I don't know how else I can send a picture...? Since I am new here...

5. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 18:34:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, we can't id a bug for you if you don't post a picture of it. I'm sure someone else here can guide you through the process. I think you just need to link to a Flickr photo, though it's best if you open a new account to remain anonymous.

6. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 18:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

7. bedbugsuptown

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 19:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

He essentially squashed the bug against the wall with just enough force to kill it an have it stuck against the wall.

Yes, you have posted a bb. pic. Forgive me if I'm wrong but something seems phishy. U said your son

essentially squashed the bug against the wall with just enough force to kill it an have it stuck against the wall.

That bug doesn't look like it was squashed one bit.

8. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 20:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG! PLease!! I do not have any reason to play games here I need HELP!!

We are freaking out here. He didn't smash the crap out of it because he wanted to show me.

I used a piece of shipping tape to take it off from the wall and then folded the tape in half so the bug is stuck to the tape. We then put the bug in a small ziplock sandwich baggie.

Please. If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.

I will post the original picture. I cropped the one I posted on flickr to show the bug better..

Not sure what I can do here but I really need some answers and not someone questioning whether or not I am playing silly games here. PLEASE HELP!

9. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 20:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you please tell me if the bug is male or female?

10. Redwingsrule19

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 21:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I treat these little buggers for a living. First thing is to take these little guys seriously. If gone unchecked, within a months time they can overrun a room, causing you to throw out some expensive furniture. As far as your questions: 1- there is no real way to know if its male or female. They are identical. As far as your picture it is obvious the bed bug has fed. The red color is evidence to that. If it was me, assume its a female. 2- the reason bed bugs need your blood is so they can lay eggs. But once they have fed they can live up to 16 months without feeding. But if the bed bugs are there and you are there to draw them out, then they will also continually feed. 3 and 4-the bedbugs can come in and live in anything. Their bodies are thin and their eggs are extremely small and look like grains of rice. 5- as far as your shoes, the way to treat anything is with heat. Once you heat it up to125 degrees the eggs will melt and the bedbugs exoskeleton will melt off, causing them to dry out and die. 7- I recommend washing and drying in the hottest cycle, but drying is usually enough. I would at least call a pest control company to have them inspect. I would call Orkin because they do free inspections. And because that's who I work for. Be serious about it. All it takes is one female to start an infestation and the sooner you get it taken care of, the easier they are to get rid of. I have been in too many houses that have been overrun by bed bugs because the owner was lackidasical. Don't let that be you.

11. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 22:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a lot of mistakes already being posted here.

1. Sorry, that is a Female.

2. If you're outside of NY send me a message with your number and how late I can contact you. I'll help guild you in the right direction so long as you are not in NY.

12. bedbugsuptown

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 22:59:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Redwingsrule19,
    Never meant to piss u off. This is a public board and an extremely helpful one at that. Sometimes buggers get protective when something seems a bit off.

1/ I'm not an expert but from the pics I've seen I think your bug may be a female. The males have a small extension or extra section on the very end of their buggy bodies.
    Most of your questions are answered in the FAQ. At this point I would not recommend that you throw too much away unless it is unwanted clutter. Be very vigilant. If it's a lone female that made it's way into you home from the rented car if the bug is pregnant her eggs will hatch into nymphs.

Given the picture you posted male or female you need to be vigilant. As far as your shoes are concerned keep them in ziplock bags. You can wait and see what happens before going to the trouble of bagging the bulk of your possesions. If there are more bugs either waiting to hatch or harboring--at this early stage they will likely be harboring close to the occupied beds in your place. All you can do is wait and look for cast skins, fecal stains, and bites (though bites alone are not enough to confirm the beginning of an infestation. The good news is that from your post you got an early wake up so you can educate yourself. If you catch a bug, bag it, preferably live as evidence of a the start of a live infestation. Your management co. or PCo will want to see a live bug before beginning treatment.
    Good luck

13. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 25 2012 23:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if Diatomaceous Earth is actually really effective to eradicate bed bugs? I have seen several sites claiming that DE will kill them within a couple of weeks with no other treatments needed. Is this true? If so, is it the same Diatomaceous Earth that you buy for your swimming pool filter?

Thanks again to everyone in advance.

14. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 26 2012 0:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredstiff2012 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Does anyone know if Diatomaceous Earth is actually really effective to eradicate bed bugs? I have seen several sites claiming that DE will kill them within a couple of weeks with no other treatments needed. Is this true? If so, is it the same Diatomaceous Earth that you buy for your swimming pool filter?
    Thanks again to everyone in advance.

NO STOP!!! Pool grade DE will hurt you! You need to stop reading about treatment ideas and get on the right page here. I offered to help walk you through is but you're asking about swimming pools.

15. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 26 2012 13:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

ok. Please help. I am not in New York.

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 26 2012 14:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

As KQ mentioned, there's a lot of misinformation below:
    From Redwingsrule19:
    "So, I treat these little buggers for a living. First thing is to take these little guys seriously. If gone unchecked, within a months time they can overrun a room, causing you to throw out some expensive furniture."
    ---No you don't necessarily have to throw out furniture. Most objects can be treated unless heavily infested such as mattresses and box springs, sofas.
    "As far as your questions: 1- there is no real way to know if its male or female. They are identical. As far as your picture it is obvious the bed bug has fed. The red color is evidence to that. If it was me, assume its a female. "
    --- Male and female bed bugs look different and if you are treating infestations for a living (work for Orkin) you should know how to tell one from the other. Red color is not evidence of feeding because an adult bed bug that has not recently molted from the 5th instar nymph stage can be reddish brown. Recently molted ones are pale white, the digested blood in the gut may be visible. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/4784549187
    A recently fed bed bug will be swollen with blood, later on digestion occurs and the red coloration will turn dark brown to black and body swelling decreases toward a flattened state. Nymphs are pale to amber colored while adults have a orange-red-brown to reddish-brown coloration. Depending on feeding, there can be stages of blood digestion within the gut that shows through the pale colored skin of the nymphs and also through the darker skin of the adult.
    "2- the reason bed bugs need your blood is so they can lay eggs. "
    --- Bed bug nymphs and adults require blood to stay alive, they digest it and it provides nourishment. Males require nourishment also to produce sperm, and females to produce eggs.
    "But once they have fed they can live up to 16 months without feeding. But if the bed bugs are there and you are there to draw them out, then they will also continually feed. 3 and 4-the bedbugs can come in and live in anything. "
    --- Bed bugs don't wait around because they can last months without feeding, but will feed if presented with a proper host. You note that in your post.
    "Their bodies are thin and their eggs are extremely small and look like grains of rice. "
    --- Flattened dorsoventrally, so thickness is thin. Eggs are 1 mm long (about the thickness of a credit card) and do resemble the shape of a rice grain.
    "5- as far as your shoes, the way to treat anything is with heat. Once you heat it up to125 degrees the eggs will melt and the bedbugs exoskeleton will melt off, causing them to dry out and die. "
    --- No eggs don't melt, and exoskeletons don't melt off, but the insects do dessicate.
    "7- I recommend washing and drying in the hottest cycle, but drying is usually enough. "
    --- True, drying is usually enough, as long as the clothing is clean: no sense in washing if already clean.
    "I would at least call a pest control company to have them inspect. I would call Orkin because they do free inspections. And because that's who I work for. Be serious about it. All it takes is one female to start an infestation and the sooner you get it taken care of, the easier they are to get rid of."
    --- I think you know what my answer would be here. Also a female will start an infestation if it has already mated. Quite true, the sooner you locate an infestation, the easier it is to get rid of. Extensively infested rooms are more difficult to control than ones with very few sites of localized infestation.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  17. DreDay17

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 26 2012 16:17:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol at the above post...orkin is the WORST company to contact for a bedbug inspection/treatment

I would first look at local pest controls who actually cater to the consumer and not their wallets. I mean literally a orkin just looked a long the edges of my room. Then when we was talking he said that "they can latch on to you tightly and feed"

I still hear of horror stories of people who went with the big names and are still battling bedbugs. A lot of them also use ONE time chemical treatments. We all know how that goes

18. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 1 2012 19:14:50
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredstiff2012

Please keep us posted if you come back on the site ... I'm putting my odds on you before the Power Ball.

19. scaredstiff2012

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Feb 1 2012 20:32:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well it has been a few days before I was on the site and I have not seen even one other bed bug yet. However, I have been freaking out at night thinking I'm getting bit but no signs of a bite.

20. Blue_Ox

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 2 2012 1:30:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I would highly recommend getting a packtite for all incoming and outgoing packages. You don't want to spread bedbugs to others' houses (that are receiving the packages from you) and you also don't want to end up with any additional incoming bugs.

If I were going into an amazon/ebay/craigslist trading business, one of my first business purchases would be a packtite.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.