Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

I Found One Bed Bug Could There Be More? Please Help!

(8 posts)
  1. distressedinnewapt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2012 19:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I moved into a new apartment about a month and a half ago. Immediately, my mom (who was helping me move into a new state) and I were getting bit. Usually the bites were in clusters of three or four. I told the apartment management, and they said they would send someone to apply bug spray. Long story, short: we didn't get our one bedroom apartment sprayed.

For two to three weeks, I wasn't getting any new bites. A week ago, I found three red itchy dots under my neck. Today, I found a red-brown bug crawling on top of a bag I left on the couch. I killed it with a tissue, and found a large amount of blood inside. I went on Google, and was able to identify it as an adult bed bug that had not fed (although I did find quite a bit of blood).

Fr the last three hours I've been screaming, squirming, and crying, but mostly searching for other bed bugs. I lifted the mattress, took out the pillow covers, looked under the couch covers, etc. Also, no eggs as far as I can tell.

Is it possible it was just a lone bed bug? They have been leaving the door to the apartment open while I am not home for construction.

Thank you for reading to the end! I know it's very long.

2. distressedinnewapt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2012 19:44:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I also found carpet beetles if that is relevant?

3. twitchin

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 7 2012 19:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I've been told, it's possible but highly unlikely. I found one bug over a month ago, pco didn't find any signs, haven't seen any other signs since, no bites that we know of (and we seem to react to everything), but we've found two more live bugs in the past two days. I was really believing that we had caught the only one before it had a chance to set up housekeeping, but I was wrong. Waiting on pco to inspect again; and suggest you call and have an inspection, as well. In our city, most pco's don't charge for the inspection; perhaps it's the same for yours. Good luck!

4. distressedinnewapt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 0:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for replying twinchin. The thing that most disturbs me is that bed bugs can live without feeding for up to a year. How will I know if my home is ever bed bug free? Best of luck to you, I really hope the two bed bugs you found are the last.

5. GTFOBugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 3:17:30
    #

Login to Send PM

It is possible it was alone, but why take the chance and deal with a worse problem down the road. Call your landlord and let him know you found a BB. Maybe he can help you inspect further, or at least get an expert in there. Good luck and take care, I'm rooting for you!

6. distressedinnewapt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 3:38:34
    #

Login to Send PM

The bites began the first week that I moved into the apartment, nothing before that. I can't seem to find a record of BB infestation in my apartment. Now, I am afraid the apartment will blame me for the BBs. I did stay at a hotel before I found the apartment, but neither me nor my mom got any bites while staying at the hotel. We also left our stuff at the door, as furthest from the beds as possible as a general precaution.

I am practically living at school, and am only home two days out of the week unless I am sleeping. I really wouldn't be able to handle a possible lawsuit on top of everything. I am planning on calling the tenant union tomorrow morning.

7. GTFOBugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 13:16:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Some cities in the U.S. have specific BB laws in place for tenant/landlord responsibility, while most/all have laws about pests strictly being the landlords responsibility unless there are specific clauses, of course. Meaning.... if the landlord does not take care of the property and keep it vermin free it affects the quality of living and there is recourse in filing complaints to the Health or Housing Dept.

Not sure where you live, but hopefully there are laws in place for you as a tenant. You are doing good by checking with your union, at least you'll know what you'll be walking into before informing your landlord. In the meantime read this for what you can do now to be pro-active while you wait:

http://bedbugger.com/2007/01/20/faq-think-you-have-bed-bugs-some-dos-and-donts/

Sorry if it doesn't link you, I'm new too Good luck!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 13:22:35
    #

Login to Send PM

distressedinnewapt - 12 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for replying twinchin. The thing that most disturbs me is that bed bugs can live without feeding for up to a year. How will I know if my home is ever bed bug free?

Bed bugs are not going to hang out in your home and not feed, unless they're prevented somehow (for example, sealed in an airtight bag).

Per the other respondent, your landlord may be responsible for hiring a pro.

The local tenants' union should be able to advise you.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.