Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

I found a place to buy BBAlert Passive Monitor in Toronto

(14 posts)
  1. Kater

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 17:25:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that a lot of Canadians have tried to find the BB Alert Passive Monitor in Canada. I dont know if this is new information or not, but I thought I should share that I found a way to get them: Gardex. Gardex in Toronto is usually a big supplydistriutor and on their homepage they only sell them in packages of a least twelve, but I called anyways and if you are willing to drive there, then they sell them one by one too. They are 15 Dollars plus tax. The bag says that Gardex is in Vancouver and Montreal too, but I think you would have to call them and ask them whether they have it. I asked and they said they would be happy to sell their bed bug equipment to anyone who came in. Perhabs it is more polite to call them beforehand though. However, here is their web-adress:
    http://www.gardexinc.com/main.php?catID=5
    They are at:
    Address: 7 Meridian Road
    Etobicoke, ON
    That is in Toronto close to the airport.

However, now that I have the monitor - I also have a question: Where exactly on the bed should I install it? We had bedbugs and got heat treatment, so I got them to make sure that the bugs are gone. We have one of these beds without legs that look like boxes and with drawers under the matress. I also suspect that they might have been in the couch. I bought two monitors. Where should I best install them and how long would it probably take until I saw something if there is a rest population that survived?

2. Kater

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 17:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and we also dont have a box spring, just slats directly under the mattress and then drawers

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 18:09:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thanks for letting me and others know.

You can find installation instructions for the PackTite Passive (the current branding of the product) here:

http://www.usbedbugs.com/assets/pdf/packtite-passive-instructions.pdf

As a post heat treatment QC which is a very valid use of the product I would say that 1 week all clear is a good sign that the thermal was effective and 2 weeks all clear is when you can start getting on with life as normal.

My one caveat however is that an alert does not always mean that the heat treatment has failed, it can also be an indication that you are coming into contact with a regular local source of bedbugs and inadvertently bringing them back into the property. Obvious if you know the source was something like a hotel visit which you don't go back to then it can indicate treatment failure.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in this product as the inventor.

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 18:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Kater - 28 minutes ago  » 
    Oh, and we also dont have a box spring, just slats directly under the mattress and then drawers

As the link I gave you tends to focus on US style beds and you have a more UK style try the link below:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugpassivemonitors.html

Hope that helps.

David

5. Kater

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 20:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    thank you so much for your advice! One question - it seems you should alce the monitor on the first slat at the head of the bed. now: on the underside of the slat or on top of the slat? Wont the weight of the mattress and people sleeping on it hurt the monitor if I place it o top of the slat? and will bed bugs actually cme to the top of the slat?
    or should i place it on the inside of the headboard on the same height as the first slat?
    thank you!

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 20:41:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Top or bottom of the slat makes little difference. The design us such it will not damag under normal bed use of 1 - 4 people.

You wil also find a bed optimization guide on my site which can make dealing an infestation extremely simple.

David

7. Kater

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 22 2013 22:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    how sure can I be that they are not still there if the monitor shows nothing? Yesterday I found a cast skin on my mattress. I am paranoid about bed bugs and I have checked that mattress at least twenty times since the heat treatment, but suddenly there it was. I moved pillows up and down the bed when I was making it and I saw it under a pillow. I am really upset and afraid and it would be good if there was something that could calm me down.

8. Mf1616

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 19:29:18
    #

Login to Send PM

*bump*

I just called Gardex in Etobicoke and they don’t have any of the passive monitors anymore. In fact, the lady I spoke to said “they don’t make them anymore”

Anyone in the GTA know if/where I can find the B.B. alert passive monitor? Otherwise, I think bedbugmutts.com sells them????

9. thirdusername

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 21:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugsos.ca ships from Montreal.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  10. Mf1616

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 29 2017 22:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 43 minutes ago  » 

Thanks, saw that too. Both sites charge $15 for shipping. What a gouge.... 😡

11. thirdusername

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 11:02:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Mf1616 - 1 day ago  » 

thirdusername - 43 minutes ago  » 

Thanks, saw that too. Both sites charge $15 for shipping. What a gouge.... 😡

Maybe a local pest control company sells them.

12. Canuck

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Jan 1 2018 13:33:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Mfl616 - I am sorry you find the $15 shipping and handling charge is a 'gouge'. The unit is placed in a placed in a bubble envelope, dropped off at Canada Post within 24 hours and delivered by them according to the delivery schedule you pick, with tracking and expedited delivery. As we are on the west coast, we often lose money when shipping beyond Sask. We also email you a pdf to address FAQsand provide assistance to determine the optimal installation site. If you have another delivery vendor at a lower rate, I would be happy to give them a try.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  13. Mf1616

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 13:11:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Canuck - 23 hours ago  » 
    Mfl616 - I am sorry you find the $15 shipping and handling charge is a 'gouge'. The unit is placed in a placed in a bubble envelope, dropped off at Canada Post within 24 hours and delivered by them according to the delivery schedule you pick, with tracking and expedited delivery. As we are on the west coast, we often lose money when shipping beyond Sask. We also email you a pdf to address FAQsand provide assistance to determine the optimal installation site. If you have another delivery vendor at a lower rate, I would be happy to give them a try.

Hi Sheree,

Thanks for your explanation. I’m sorry if I offended you with my choice of the word “gouge”. I’m on a very tight budget so paying $15 shipping for $50 worth of product (2 passive monitors) is a a lot for me... but I do understand you’re a small independently run company who probably does not have access to shipping discounts, as most retailers I’m accustom to ordering from on-line do. What puzzles me, however, is that it doesn’t seem to matter how many monitors you order (I also added a book and fecal detection kit to see if that would make the shipping cost increase), the cost for shipping is the same.

14. Canuck

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Jan 5 2018 0:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The fecal test kit, Bed Bug Blue, weighs next to nothing so does not add significantly, other than in thickness of the parcel. And the paperback is also little weight though the width and length increase the size of the package...and those changes in the size measurements do not change the cost from Canada Post. 2 dozen positive monitors would make a difference. Basically, we offer these products for sale because it is so costly to bring these same products in from the States unless ordering in significant quantities for a discount. That is why we only ship within Canada. We offer it as an alternative service for those we can not assist with our canine services.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

269,338 posts in 43,826 topics over 132 months by 19,191 of 19,804 members. Latest: Kellbells, cucucajube, Mitchell3845