Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

I could use some help on figuring out what to do next.

(6 posts)
  1. BugFreeJeani

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 19 2012 18:32:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I've moved into a new room in a share house. I think it has bedbugs.
    The thing that is making this the hardest to distinguish is that the three nights before I arrived I got this lovely offer from a girl in my class to stay with her. I had been staying in a hostel since I got to the city.
    She has a serious flea infestation.

I'm covered in bites. I left her house. I washed EVERYTHING I own. But I have over 100 bites across me from that. So for the first few days I wasn't worried and then I saw something in a crack. I really don't know what it was. It moved too fast(I was 100% convinced on the day) but I got thinking and I had another look at all my bites. I think I have more. I circled them all and this morning when I woke up I had 3 new ones on my ankle in a neat little triangle.

Now I've been told that fleas leave detritus too. That is all I have seen to indicate bedbugs. The very occasional little black dot that I'm not convinced isn't just dust.

I'm really not sure I've even see any.

I've put double sided tape around the legs of my bed and nothing has appeared on it for two nights even though I'm gaining bites.
    I do have planks and cracks in my bed.

The whole area looks clean. Final last words though.

I need to create a plan. I've got 10 days till I need to give my cancellation on staying here if I want to be out in 1.5 months. So I need to figure it out by then. The few people in the house I've asked say they haven't seen any.

So my question is how can I determine proof in ten days. I really can't afford any of the expensive suggestions.

The thing that seems the most hard to me about moving is all my stuff. I'm bothered by washing and drying of everything in hot as much of my clothing is synthetic and has a lot of elastic and that will all be destroyed by a hot dryer.

But I also have a lot of electronics, books, toiletries, loose filed paper. How can I be sure I'm not taking them with me. I can't exactly open my laptop and check inside.

I'd love advice on how to proceed. I'm not a very organized person and I've lost direction on what would be the best next move.

Please remember with any suggestions I'm neither in a situation to order a PCO or afford one. If I were to bring it up with the house manager I'd need 100% proof.

Much thanks for any help.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 20 2012 2:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The stuff you think might be bed bug fecal matter-- does it move easily, or is it more like a dark magic marker stain or dot of paint?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BugFreeJeani

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 20 2012 14:38:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It moves easily. It is more like dark brown solid pieces. Is my best description. I one percent have carpet bugs bugs btw.

I don't know what they leave behind. I just know they aren't what would be biting me.

I also have a spider on the floor behind the bed and there is nothing that looks bed buggy in it's webs.

4. HaveSlappedAtMyFreckles

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 20 2012 21:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Jeani- I had a very similar dilemma and found out that all I had to do was call my city's health department! They came out (for free) the next day and confirmed that I do have the dreaded bedbug.

As far as the books, electronics, loose files, etc... Again, I'm having the same concerns. I was advised by an Orkin guy to freeze my books and things, but that would take months! I've also heard that it isn't 100% reliable and I want something that will work for sure.

I was thinking of putting such things that can't be sprayed into airtight bags with a ton of DE and a piece of Hot Shot Pest Strip then putting the whole mess into a tupperware and leaving it like that for, well, until I can stand the thought of opening it. I can't say for sure if it will work but I can't afford a Packtite and there are so many things that I just cannot bear to part with.

Anyway, try the health department. It was a surprisingly easy option to confirm (gulp) bed bugs. Hope you don't have them!!!

5. BugFreeJeani

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 21 2012 3:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

That is a good idea.

I for the first time didn't get any bites last night and the house manager is very busy being relived that we don't have bed bugs. I'm not sure that I can get him to let anyone in at the moment unfortunately.

My biggest concern is my loptop. I really could not do without it for more than a day. My life runs through the internet. Work, transport and class. I also can't afford a new one. But if anything other than me in the room would be attracting them it's warm all day and night.

Really maybe it's what I should be looking in to see if I can spot them.

I've been thinking DE to pappers and tones of spray to everything else. Good luck!

6. Hsmith6990

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed May 17 2017 17:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

They wouldnt be in your laptop. There is no food for them in it. They live in places like the corner of your boxspring or the bottom corners of your mattress

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

263,984 posts in 42,669 topics over 128 months by 18,725 of 19,271 members. Latest: agustinwoo2242, Gemagemmm, JohnG