Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

I called bed bug exterminators, and still have bed bugs afterwards?

(8 posts)
  1. William7

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2011 4:32:55
    #

Login to Send PM

The exterminators came last Thursday and exterminated my entire apartment. Up until today, Wednesday the 22nd, I haven't had one bed bug bite, nor have I seen one. Today, I just woke up due to a pinch on the left side of my waist. It was a huge bed bug, which I squished. What I'm asking is WHY? Why do I still have bed bugs when the exterminators came. They did say they were going to come a second time just in case, but really, I thought it would be done after one job. What's the probability that they will be gone after the second extermination? Is it possible for the bed bugs not to leave after the second extermination? I can't just keep calling these guys for the rest of my life. I was also very surprised because when the exterminator came, after the treatment he said that there were no bed bugs, nests, or anything like that. He said that he had seen worse then what I had. With that being said, why do I still have them?

Thanks a lot for any replies,

William

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 22 2011 6:08:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi William,

There is often an assumption that as soon as an exterminator walks through a door to treat there should be no more bedbugs. The reality is often a lot more complex.

Depending upon the level of an infestation it is sometimes possible to 100% eradicate it in a single visit but often bedbugs are not detected early enough for this to happen.

There is also the possibility that unless you know exactly how bedbugs got brought into your home they will continue to be introduced. Some of the common ways include:

• Adjoining neighbours
    • Work locations
    • Commute
    • Regularly visited locations

I would suggest that you communicate with all adjoining neighbours to ensure they are not the source of the issue and also check your work location.

After that its about taking sensible steps to avoid bringing any into the home again.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 14:28:43
    #

Login to Send PM

What steps can you take to prevent bringing them in from work?

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 14:34:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Ashamed and Scratching,

These FAQs were written mostly for people who encounter bed bugs in hotels while traveling , but the guidelines there can absolutely be applied to situations where you see bed bugs at work.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 14:40:07
    #

Login to Send PM

> I called bed bug exterminators, and still have bed bugs afterwards?

It's normal to continue having bed bugs after "calling" the PCO. Having them come over and treat (often repeatedly) usually helps.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. whcosta

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2011 15:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

we had the 3 treatments, one fogging, with spray and then 2 more sprays 14 days each. After the final day I woke up and for the first time since the whole thing started had red marks on my neck that looked like pimples but certainly weren't. (we all know what a pimple feels and behaves like). Now I don't know what to do!!!! I called my PCO since they have a 90 day gaurantee and they are coming back but it will be 19 days not 14 due to scheduling. I feel like I am going insane! My husband and I sleep with flashlights and everytime I wake up I turn it on and look all over my bed and all over my husband. I just learned about the CO2 bed bug trap thing to see if I can catch one to be sure whether or not I still have a problem. All my belongings are still in boxes and my clothes are still in trash bags. I just had my daughters brand new bed delivered but won't let her sleep in it yet in fear of contaminating her room again. I hope nothing goes in there since she hasn't lived in there for over a month now. My God I just want my life back!

7. teleea

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2014 21:04:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I had the fumigation 10 days ago and am living out of a plastic bag. Instead of my bite count going down it is increasing. All the suites in my apartment building have been treated but we all believe the source is my adjoining neighbour - a filthy hoarder. As none of us heard a vacuum in his suite nor saw him in the lineup to dry and bag clothes we are of the opinion he has personally done nothing to help eradicate the problem. Now the exterminator wants my report on day 14 (I've been tracking bites and bugs since fumigation). Even if he is able to eradicate my problem I am terrified that it is just temporary. I want to be able to sleep again and put all my belongings away. How the hell do you force someone to comply?

8. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2014 21:21:45
    #

Login to Send PM

How the hell do you force someone to comply?

A good way to start is by not judging them

filthy hoarder

Also you don't monitor a bed bug situations by bites and skin reactions alone, you do so by checking for actual concrete signs of them: live bugs samples, shed skins, fecal trace

By the way you responded in a thread that is 2 years old, always best to start your own topic with a situation like that

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

263,919 posts in 42,659 topics over 128 months by 18,721 of 19,256 members. Latest: fg2670, ImCursed, Harkro