Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

I am losing my mind

(8 posts)
  1. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 8:39:08
    #

Login to Send PM

This all just started for me last Thursday but I feel like it's been months. I thought I was doing everything right, the exterminator came on Saturday, I cleaned everything, I took all the clothes out, I bought mattress and box spring encasements, I haven't been spraying anything, I got the bed post traps/detectors...

Two days ago I found a live bug on my bed. First one since treatment. I then realized the box spring cover, which is a bit big, was touching the floor in the middle of the bed, so I tried to fix that last night by pulling it up a bit so it won't touch. My boyfriend found three on it once we'd gotten it off the floor, but clearly there are more. I found two this morning while trying to get ready for work.

I couldn't sleep. I kept waking up and frantically looking around in the dark. My boyfriend isn't taking this seriously. I'm so worried his house is going to get them. He checked his mattress and all that but still. I don't think he can stay with me anymore, but I'm so afraid to do this alone. I have a terrible fear of bugs anyway and I'm not sure how long I can do this.

My exterminator is going to come for a second treatment, but not for another week and a half or so. He seems surprised that there are still so many living... I feel like I'm losing.

I dunno. I just was hoping to find anyone to talk to. Embarassing as it is, I'm at work silently crying at my desk! Can't seem to make it stop. I don't know what else to do.

2. SleeplessJuneBug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 10:13:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a month into this. The bugs have to crawl across the pesticide to die, so maybe the ones you found were on death's door anyways?
    I know what you are going through. I lost 10lbs in the first two weeks of my infestation.. I couldn't sleep or eat. I wish I could tell you it gets better soon, but I am under the impression that this is an issue that is rarely solved in two weeks. Hopefully one of us will have good news to report soon!

3. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 10:57:58
    #

Login to Send PM

SleeplessJuneBug - 39 minutes ago  » 
    I am a month into this. The bugs have to crawl across the pesticide to die, so maybe the ones you found were on death's door anyways?
    I know what you are going through. I lost 10lbs in the first two weeks of my infestation.. I couldn't sleep or eat. I wish I could tell you it gets better soon, but I am under the impression that this is an issue that is rarely solved in two weeks. Hopefully one of us will have good news to report soon!

I'm so sorry you're going through this too. Regardless, it's nice to hear from people who understand how I'm feeling. My boyfriend doesn't get why I'm so upset -- he even had bed bugs several years ago in a previous residence but says "I just got rid of my mattress and that was that!" which I find hard to believe, but whatever. I'm so paranoid about spreading them to his house, especially since he won't check since it's "not a big deal."

I'm concerned that my exterminator seems so surprised about how I'm finding new live ones. He even asked what my schedule is like this week -- I think he might come back sooner, despite it not yet being two weeks since the first treatment. I can't say I'm upset... Anything for some more peace of mind.

I am thinking too of buying another box spring cover, one that actually fits, to put OVER the one I already bought, haha. Is that crazy? I feel like it sounds crazy, but at the same time seems completely logical to me. I guess that's what this is doing to us.

How have you been battling yours? Here's hoping you're seeing less and less.

4. SleeplessJuneBug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 12:55:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Our PCO told me that I should expect to get bites for the first two weeks, then they should get better. The first week of using ourselves as bait to lure them across the pesticide and out of their hiding spots, the only way I could sleep was by taking a benedryl (benedryl makes me VERY sleepy and helped with the itching). I've come to accept it a bit more and realized I was probably doing some organ damage taking benedryl for 3 weeks straight so I just started learning to sleep without. I have awful nightmares about mutant bugs...
    I'm not handling it well to say the least.
    I am fairly certain my infestation was relatively low because in any given week the most I have found is about 6 in the whole week.. but to me it just feels like it might be harder to determine if they are gone because I already don't see a lot of activity.

5. SleeplessJuneBug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 12:58:47
    #

Login to Send PM

If you do buy another encasement, I would make sure it is also bb proof. More experienced users might say you should remove the first and get a good one that fits so it doesn't tear due to the one underneath it.. but I'm not sure

6. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 14:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Good to think about, thanks. Seems like the one I bought originally was made to fit a range of heights for full beds. Ordered another that should be better, I'm hoping.

I also have only seen a handful... I found two nymphs first, that's how I discovered them, and then saw a couple when we lifted up the box spring prior to extermination. Yesterday was the most, 5. The box spring itself didn't look badly infested at all, so I'm also really hoping it'll be kicked relatively easily.

But it seems like nothing about this is easy...! Just hoping to find even less when I get home today.

7. LAbugs

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 4:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

im so sorry you're going through this. i just recently moved into a summer sublet in los angeles. the guy who was renting his studio seemed very clean and i didn't even think to closely inspect. about a day in i started noticing them. at first i thought they were roaches since i also saw roaches (which is no surprise bc LA is filthy), but after repeatedly seeing blood on the bed and eventually closely checking the mattress flap, i realized they were bedbugs. the exterminator confirmed it. he's supposed to come and spray in 2 days, but the building manager here said 3 other units are infested and so is the fucking hallway. which means there is really no way around getting contaminated over and over again. its the most isolating and lonely sad feeling and i really dont know what to do.

8. papierbaby

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 10:25:31
    #

Login to Send PM

LAbugs - 1 day ago  » 
    im so sorry you're going through this. i just recently moved into a summer sublet in los angeles. the guy who was renting his studio seemed very clean and i didn't even think to closely inspect. about a day in i started noticing them. at first i thought they were roaches since i also saw roaches (which is no surprise bc LA is filthy), but after repeatedly seeing blood on the bed and eventually closely checking the mattress flap, i realized they were bedbugs. the exterminator confirmed it. he's supposed to come and spray in 2 days, but the building manager here said 3 other units are infested and so is the fucking hallway. which means there is really no way around getting contaminated over and over again. its the most isolating and lonely sad feeling and i really dont know what to do.

Hey LAbugs, I am soooo sorry you're going through this as well. It's been a little over a month now for me and I am exhausted but feeling less *crazy* most days. I guess eerie calm comes with constant vigilance. I'm so sorry to hear there are other units infested -- that is my biggest fear right now. Nobody else in my building seems to have found anything and I don't think my problem was all that big at the point I discovered it, but how can I know for sure? I'm thinking I've got to move when my lease is up at the end of January. I just moved in this year, leaving a different bad living situation. It was supposed to be an improvement, and it was, for a while. Sigh. I definitely understand the isolated and lonely feeling. I don't want to hang out in my apartment anymore so I've spent a lot of time driving around, listening to podcasts, sitting in coffee shops, etc. Anything to keep me out of there until I absolutely have to sleep. Hopefully you have someone to talk to about the whole thing. Even then, it's hard if they haven't gone through it themselves. I'm here!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,826 posts in 43,337 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7