Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Hydrogen Peroxide Test, Detection, & coming out of dormancy?

(14 posts)
  1. totallybuggy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 18:52:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

First, thanks to everyone who posts in this forum. It's been an invaluable source of both information and support.

About a year ago, I thought I might have had a run-in with bed bugs. I had a classic linear bite pattern on my calf, plus some isolated bites. I vacuumed and searched and couldn't find any sign of them. I was about to move in a month, and the bites got less severe/common, so I washed & bagged my clothes & linens, and hoped for the best.

When I moved, my mattress, couch, coffee table, and part of the bed frame went into storage. (It's a metal bed, I kept using the frame, but the wooden slats went into storage). I used the metal bed frame, linens, and clothes in my new place for about 10 months. No bites, nothing, I was so relieved.

But now, I've moved yet again and am using all my furniture out of storage. About a month after I moved into the new place, I started noticing bites. One on my torso had a linear/cluster pattern, but the rest seem to be isolated. And so started the freaking out.

Some perhaps odd facts & questions:

1. The bites didn't start until apx. 3 weeks after I moved in. I know it's possible that I only reacted after being bitten for 3 weeks, but does anyone know how long it takes BB's to come out of dormancy? (The stuff was stored in an outside facility over a Canadian winter, so any BB's should be at least dormant, if not dead.) (I've had maybe 6-12 bites in the last 1-1.5 weeks. Hard to tell if they're all 'bites', since a lot of them are minor and fade within the day.)

2. Why am I mostly getting bitten under clothes? I'm talking upper thighs, chest, mid-torso, butt... these are the least exposed areas when I sleep. I have also gotten a couple little ones on my arm & calf, but the ones that react most are the ones in the "covered" areas.

3. I have not been able to find any casings, eggs, or live bugs near the bed. I'm about to make the poor man's ClimbUps later today, to see what I can find, as well as inspect the couch more carefully.

4. For the fecal test... hydrogen peroxide should bubble on contact, right? There are a couple suspect spots on the wall, they streak but only minimally. Will anything else (e.g., other insects' excrement) streak? No sign of fresh stains/spots on the mattress or slats.

5. I've put DE on the bed-slats, and under the bed.

I'm definitely going to notify my landlord about this, but I just want to have some idea what's going on first. These bites seem to fade/heal too fast and seem too minor to be BB bites, but I know bite reactions are very unreliable. Is there anything else that could be biting me? (A too-common question!) I've seen a handful of spiders around, and have caught what appears to be a red spider mite (though I really can't say that's what it is for sure.)

Thanks in advance for your help and replies, I'm feeling quite anxious about it all.

2. totallybuggy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 10 2010 12:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

An update: the suspect spots are definitely not BB feces. The peroxide didn't react. (For those wondering, the reaction should be quite visible... I tried a drop on fresh blood [I cut myself yesterday and found the tissue in the garbage] and the entire drop of peroxide goes white and fizzy.)

I isolated 2 legs of the bed with my homemade climbups, nothing there yet. (Couldn't reach the other 2 legs easily and was too tired to bother last night)

This morning, 2 new, minor bites. Plus I discovered a bite on my scalp (I have long hair and lots of it)! I thought BB's didn't bite there? What's going on??

3. LVK9

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 10 2010 12:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

totallybuggy, the way I understand it Hydrogen peroxide reacts with the oxygen in blood. If you test a fecal stain that is dry I am unsure if you would see a reaction. Would hydrogen peroxide react if you put it on a scab? I have not tried it but I would not think so, I may be wrong. I have not tried fresh fecal matter with hydrogen peroxide, but I will tonight or tomorrow, and will let you know what happens.

4. Louise

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 10 2010 15:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

LVK9 - 2 hours ago  » 
    totallybuggy, the way I understand it Hydrogen peroxide reacts with the oxygen in blood. If you test a fecal stain that is dry I am unsure if you would see a reaction.

Hmmm. Interesting. I know the one possible fecal stain we found last summer definitely fizzed when I applied hydrogen peroxide.

I had assumed it was (relatively) old and dried. Apparently I may have been wrong. I was under the impression that peroxide will cause a blood spot (or a spot of bat bug fecal matter) to fizz until the fabric is washed and the stain is "set".

I need to experiment some more, I think...

Louise

5. totallybuggy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jun 11 2010 0:50:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, this is valuable info, thanks! The spots were on the wall (i.e., not soaked into fabric), not sure if that matters. At any rate, the streaked gteenish instead of red/brown, so I'm hesitant to say they are BB feces. Which is not to say I won't soon find BB fecal matter, esp. given that I'm still getting bites.

Looking forward to the results of the fresh vs. dry experiment!

6. LVK9

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 18:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

totallybuggy, I finally got around to trying Hydrogen Peroxide on fecal stains. I first tested dried fecal matter that was on a hard surface. I saw no reaction, over a period of time the color changed from black to light tan. I then fed a bed bug and placed it in a porcelain dish and waited..... once I had a fresh sample I placed a drop of Hydrogen Peroxide on it. With the naked eye I could not see a reaction. I look at it under 5x magnification and did see a few tiny bubbles, but not a fizzing reaction.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 18:39:54
    #

Login to Send PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalase

BB digestion must be destroying the catalase in the blood to mitigate the fizz.

Jim

8. Sylvie

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 19:11:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I have tried the hydrogen peroxide test and it did not fizz whatsoever. It will still streak though since that will re-wet it.

9. LVK9

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 19:11:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I need to redo the test. I just noticed the product I used is labeled Hydrogen Peroxide topical Solution. It contains 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, Does someone know what % is contained is standard Hydrogen Peroxide.

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 19:15:00
    #

Login to Send PM

That is the typical peroxide, pour some on fresh blood and watch the fizz. Better yet pop a fresh fed bug and drop some on the splat.

Should fizz real good.

Didn't you ever use peroxide on a cut?

Jim

11. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 19:21:50
    #

Login to Send PM

looks like anywhere between 3% and 10% is normal for home use. They have other grades for industrial uses like 35%...

i think your 3% is normal...

12. LVK9

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 19:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg I have used it on cut before . My concern is online I see Kroger"s brand has bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide and Hydrogen Peroxide Topical Solution. I have the Topical solution and it contains 3% AI, does standard hydrogen Peroxide contain more than 3% AI and would that make a difference?

13. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 19:35:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Weird, I never saw anything other than 3% for medicinal use. Use the topical 3% stuff.

Always foamed good on a bleeding wound for me.

Jim

14. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 22 2010 19:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hydrogen Peroxide can be up to 90something % and that's used for in rocket fuel! Then there are varying degrees of lesser concentrations of hydrogen peroxide. There are some industrial and food grade concentrations at 35% and then 30% and 17.5% and 10% and down to 3%. 3% is what we normally get in local stores and that we use at home for cuts and stuff.

I was just reading more about it to see how it works and why ...and i see there are people who are taking diluted FOOD GRADE only (not the stuff we get in the store because that has other stuff in it that's bad for you) diluted down to 3% as a cure for a whole host of conditions from arthritis, stomach and bowel infections, emphasyma...a bunch of stuff...and when you think about how it works it makes sense...it has lots of oxygen in it and that can be delivered to areas of the body where cancers that like to grow in anaerobic conditions can be killed by it. There are even doctors who are delivering the hydrogen peroxid intravenously...Very interesting.

Thanks for bringing up the subject of Hydrogen peroxide...i want to read more about it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.