Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Hundreds of bites, but no evidence, what can I do?

(9 posts)
  1. thisisacrisis

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 19:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted yesterday but no comments and I need some advice. I've looked all over my apartment, bed, mattress, box spring, etc. and have found no evidence of bed bugs but I am continuing to get bites and I know I was exposed to bed bugs at someone else's house and he came to my house with a bag as well.

I got about 20 new bites last night on my foot. I am EXTREMELY SUSCEPTIBLE and sensitive to bug bites. An exterminator already inspected and found nothing and sprayed yesterday, but I still got bites last night.

What can I do to detect? Do I buy double sided tape and put it on the feet of my bed? What is the monitor device I should buy?

Please help.

2. BattleoftheBug

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 19:18:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, double-sided tape could catch a bug or two to give you some evidence and stop any from getting to you. Even though you inspected your bed, wash and dry all the bedding on hot. Did you inspect everything in the bedroom, even look behind the pictures on the walls? Put duct tape over any wall outlets you are not using. Bed bugs can hide in them. They don't get electrocuted. Put everything in large lawn and leaf bags and seal them well. Declutter. Bugs can hide anywhere but if they can't get to their blood meals, they eventually die. That's why you need to isolate your bed so they can't get to you at night. Did you inspect the sofa well? It's strange that you are getting so many bites and haven't seen a single bed bug so far. But, if you really do have them--you will see one soon.

3. thisisacrisis

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 19:32:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response! I will go buy double sided tape asap and I think I'm going to buy one of the passive monitor devices.

I inspected everywhere and found nothing. I live in a very small studio apartment, so really there's no barrier between where I sleep and everywhere else, but I pulled my bed away from the walls. I washed everything on hot and dried it on hot. I took some things to the dry cleaner and I'm scared to go get them back because I don't want to bring anything to my apartment.

I guess I'm just going to start throwing away my clothes and other things I don't use because this is just so awful.

Really, really thank you for the advice. I currently have some clothes and blankets I already washed and dried in a trash bag. Is that good enough?

4. NY_lady

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 19:47:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Any spots on your sheets? Do you have pets?

5. thisisacrisis

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 20:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

No spots on my sheets... I have searched and searched and have seen no evidence. No spots, no eggs, no nymphs, no shells, no bugs... nothing.

I do have a cat. I don't think they will bite her, when I'm obviously the better meal choice. But I am worried.

6. ljlo2011

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 21:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Could the cat have fleas?

7. NY_lady

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 21:28:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I went through a similar situation. Dozens of bites but no fecal stains or sightings. First PCO claimed to have found a bb casing which sent me into a panic. Washed everything and placed cleaned items in giant Ziploc bags. Second PCO did 2 inspections and a dog sweep. All were negative. They suggested i contact my vet . Vet suggested Capstar which kills fleas in 4 hours followed the next day by Revolution for cats. They had been in Frontline before that but I was finding tiny salt and pepper like specks when they came on the bed. Never actually saw a flea. Within a few days I stopped getting new bites. My cats are still scratching on and off, so I am still vacuuming daily, have interceptors on my bed and bb mattress covers. I did so much work bagging my clothes that I figure I would live out of the Ziploc until I am certain no bb. Counting down to 55 days in case there are bb in the house ( half way there). I have a bite on my ankle today and one on my shoulder but I was tying up my tomato plants and it hot and muggy here in New York. Trying not to be paranoid but it's not easy.

You may want to try the capstar or revolution (which also kills mites). Also it's pretty easy to get bb mattress and box spring covers. Pairing that with some interceptors might help you figure out what's going on. Good luck.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 15 2017 23:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

When were you in someone's house? Bed bug bites are generally delayed reactions and you may react hours, days, or even a week or more after being bitten.

I'd learn to inspect for fecal stains, keep doing that, and maybe employ some bed bug monitors (e.g. Packtite Passive monitors), but I would not assume these are new bites unless you've been home a while.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. thisisacrisis

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 16:33:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your responses.

I don't think my cat has fleas since she is an inside cat, never goes outside.

Since the house I was at confirmed that they had bed bugs, that's how I know I was exposed to bed bugs the 2 nights I was there and the person stayed at my house also for 2 nights, so it is possible that he brought bed bugs to my home (or I did after being at his house).

I have been in my apartment for 9 days since I last stayed at the house with bed bugs. My bites first appeared 4 mornings ago (Thursday). On Friday morning, many more bites appeared. Friday is when an exterminator inspected and sprayed even though he didn't find any evidence of bugs. Saturday I woke up with many more bites on my foot. This morning I am not sure if I have new bites or not. I have 3 bites on my neck that I'm not completely sure if they were there before or not. I have so many bites, it's almost impossible to keep track.

I ordered passive monitor trap things and am waiting on those to come in the next couple days. I haven't found anything on my sheets. I did wash and dry my sheets, clothes, and blankets. And I have them tied up in a trash bad except for the 2 sheets I have on my bed. I am going to post a photo of what could be a bed bug related fecal stain in a new thread.

Thanks for your advice!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,592 posts in 41,774 topics over 127 months by 18,321 of 18,789 members. Latest: Murtyz, Winnie93x, buggyname